ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Wow, until you said that right now I had never even thought about it. I guess the answer is that the direction remains the same and if it bothers you, I don't think they fix it.

I have never noticed it so I can't even talk about it.

The first two episodes of the new season of Rick and Morty leaked and I absolutely did not stoop to watching them. Here's a spoiler that only exists in a hypothetical universe where I couldn't wait to see them and completely abandoned my morals.

It's sooooo gooooooooooood. Oh my god. It might actually be even more on-point and ridiculous than the first season. I hate myself for watching this ahead of time because now I have to wait like a month for new episodes. :(

Haha, I watched the first episode.

It was fucking incredible, holy shit. It amazes me how clever it managed to be while also just being utterly fucking bonkers. I'm glad I got over the initial hump of not really being into the art (which no longer bothers me, I think!) and gave the show a shot because it's just goddamn good goddamnit!

I... I might watch the second episode now, though.

Twig, are you still watching Supernatural? I'm rewatching it and had forgotten how it just keeps getting better and better. I'm on season 4 now and it is just brilliant episode after episode. The lore, the side characters, the arc plot, the MOTWs, all great. I wholly recommend you stop at the end of season 5 though. The series creator always intended it to run for only that long and it immediately tanks after that point.

I'm somewhere in the middle of season three. I'm watching it still, but very slowly. It definitely has gotten way way better than the first season, which was mostly a chore, with a few highlights.

My favorite recent episode was the Ghostfacers episode, that was damn fine.

I've heard similar things about the series tanking, but I'll probably still give it a shot, assuming I'm still enjoying it around that time. I'm not the type of person to let something bad ruin the good (usually), and I'll probably be curious, at least, which is enough of a reason for me to go on.

There's a moment in Blackhat where the characters are flat-out sprinting towards a gunfight and the camera follows them at full speed because it's just a Go-Pro strapped to the cameraman who is running with them.

That movie is not great but I am feeling super into the digital aesthetic Michael Mann has been cultivating for the past 10 years.

I wholly recommend you stop at the end of season 5 though. The series creator always intended it to run for only that long and it immediately tanks after that point.

My fiancée started watching Supernatural when it first popped up on Netflix a few years ago, and by season 3, she had be fairly hooked it as well. We've agreed to a mutual delusion that the show ends right before that last moment of season 5, and everything else is just fairly well-financed fan-fiction. She's continued to watch it, so I catch and episode here and there, but it's just, eugh...

And now that it's about to start season 11, it earns the infamy of being a long-running show with more bad seasons than good.  :tdown:

I got to the good bits of Steven Universe this weekend and It's really hitting all my buttons. The songs in this are great, ad the art style is adorable and the characters are fun and sweet. It's great!

My fiancée started watching Supernatural when it first popped up on Netflix a few years ago, and by season 3, she had be fairly hooked it as well. We've agreed to a mutual delusion that the show ends right before that last moment of season 5, and everything else is just fairly well-financed fan-fiction. She's continued to watch it, so I catch and episode here and there, but it's just, eugh...

And now that it's about to start season 11, it earns the infamy of being a long-running show with more bad seasons than good.  :tdown:

Yous should check out the season 6 episode the french mistake for it's comdeic metaness

OH MY GOD! Rick and Morty!!

What a fantastic show! I remember being excited back when they were showing the pilot, but I never got around to actually watching it. The recommendations in here made me finally plunge into the first season and WHAT A RIDE! I love it! :tup: :tup:

I totally get what you mean about the style, Twig. It's definitely something you have to get used to.. But man, they pack so much detail into it, both in the animation and backgrounds. It feels like being a bit sloppy on the designs of things makes them free to pack as much crazy detail into each scene and just absolutely nail the timing of things. I love it so much. Can't wait to watch season 2!

Pixar, 1995:What if toys had feelings

Pixar, 1998:What if bugs had feelings

Pixar, 2001:What if monsters had feelings

Pixar, 2003:What if fish had feelings

Pixar, 2004:What if superheroes had feelings

Pixar, 2006:What if cars had feelings

Pixar, 2007:What if rats had feelings

Pixar, 2008:What if robots had feelings

Pixar, 2009:What if dogs had feelings

Pixar, 2012:What if Scotland had feelings

Pixar, 2015:WHAT IF FEELINGS HAD FEELINGS

source

Meanwhile:

Dreamworks, 1998: What if an ant made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2001: What if an ogre made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2004: What if a zebra made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2007: What if a bee made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2008: What if a panda made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2010: What if a face made a wacky face?

Watched Housebound this weekend, quite a good little horror-comedy flick!  Well executed, plays with the core trope of a haunted house well and the family drama/weirdness makes for better background than most family related haunted house families. 

Friday Night Lights is the best! Great acting and great stories. Despite a weak second season thanks to the Network excec's messing with a good thing it's really great television.

ps. Still sad this thread isn't pinned anymore :(

I got the Blu-Rays of all seasons of the mid-80's Robin of Sherwood. Was reminded of it recently by someone who had also liked it a lot back in childhood and ordered it immediately when I found out Blu-Ray was available. Many consider it to be the best take of the Robin Hood legend on film, and it really is very well done, even if by today's standards some things seem a bit weird (I hate that stupid fake bow sound effect in the opening cinematic, while most of the actual sound effects in the actual content are well done).

The Blu-Rays are not ideal, they messed up the order of some episodes and I was expecting an even better video quality. I guess it probably depends on the source material a lot, and it's ok, but in many scenes the background colors keep flickering while the human skin colors stay stable. Overall it looks really good, though.

I have watched the first 4 episodes so far, and am really enjoying it. There are also commentary tracks for I think all of the episodes (at least seems like that so far), but I'm not sure if I'll get around to watching those any time soon.

I just watched Deep Impact for the first time since it came out, it was surprisingly great.

Friday Night Lights is the best! Great acting and great stories. Despite a weak second season thanks to the Network excec's messing with a good thing it's really great television.

ps. Still sad this thread isn't pinned anymore :(

The writing keeps surprising me. There is moment in Season 4 where the coach is trying to make this park safer because he witnesses a child get shot. I rolled my eyes at where I thought it was going to go and instead of being welcomed with open arms pretty much everyone starts pointing out that he can't just walk in, wave his hand and fix everything and that the problems are way more deep rooted than that. It wobbles a little bit after that but at least a show like that attempts to address a wider social problem.

There is another bit where he politely mentions some of the 'problems' and gets verbally torn apart for his lack of a grasp on what is going on.

At the Austin Film festival this year there was a live reading of the first episode of Dawson's creek with the genders flipped with Mae Whitman (carrying a framed photo of Tim Riggins with her onto the stage) playing Dawson and it is fantastic. Has also reminded me to watch the first season of that show after reading somewhere this year that it still holds up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=843&v=b0nij5sC0zY

Hey you folks remember how excited we all are for that new Pixels movie with Adam Sandler and The Dinkles? Well we can make the wait a little easier with the official movie song.

I really like that, if not counting Flocka's shouts, "This is not a game" is the first lyric. Quality.