ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Lost was a show I totally gave up on watching in the standard format up until the last few episodes. Somewhere in season 3, I said fuck this, and I'd let the whole season play out. If people I respected were still high on it, I'd go binge through the season.

Actually, I want to say the breaking point was that fucking "we solve the mystery of Jack's tattoo" episode.

Jack is so much cooler in the earlier episodes of the show. :(

I was fully in the zeitgeist of that show while it was coming out, I swear that I listened to 3 or 4 concurrently running weekly podcasts discussing the show and its lore. I actually am hoping to view it now with a more critical eye. I'm thinking that I'll come out appreciating it more, there was a ton of backlash around the end of the series but I suspect that there is more connective tissue throughout the series to suggest the ending than is commonly believed. Also, so many of the characters were just so shitty in the end that I really would like to remember some of them being way cooler in earlier seasons.

The av club has a pretty hood lost rewatch series going at the moment. Not sure if they will go beyond season 3 since they started covering it regularly back in the day with season 4. 

Jack tatoo episode is an episode I will happily not see as I rewatch it.

"We have to go back, Kate" is so dumb, but I won't deny I lost my shit when it happened.

The way LOST could find the perfect intersection between their narrative conceits and the emotions of the characters was beautiful. 

I remember when Lost was really amazing for the first two seasons. And then it devolved into merely good. That was a sad day.

Why is that dumb? MORE LOST SPOILERS INCOMING,obviously.

EDIT: I like Terminator 2 a lot.

As time wears on, I've grown to realize how much Terminator 2 paints the Terminator T-800 as the most laughably ineffective assassin in fiction. It's ostensibly meant to blend into crowds and infiltrate human settlements, but T2 establishes that all the T-800s are modelled after the same extremely conspicuous 6'2" super buff Austrian dude and lack the ability to detect social cues or imitate basic human activity like smiling, and cements the idea that they indiscriminately kill people other than their targets, eliminating the whole point of a stealth model in the first place.

Well, in the first Terminator, "infiltration" was "walk in the front door and shoot everyone". 

As time wears on, I've grown to realize how much Terminator 2 paints the Terminator T-800 as the most laughably ineffective assassin in fiction. It's ostensibly meant to blend into crowds and infiltrate human settlements, but T2 establishes that all the T-800s are modelled after the same extremely conspicuous 6'2" super buff Austrian dude and lack the ability to detect social cues or imitate basic human activity like smiling, and cements the idea that they indiscriminately kill people other than their targets, eliminating the whole point of a stealth model in the first place.

I like to think of that as an amusing commentary on Skynet's grasp of human interaction.

I like Terminator 2, but it definitely rates below The Terminator and Aliens in terms of James Cameron action movies.

I got drunk and saw a film print of Terminator 2 last night and then came here and wrote an angry diatribe about Fury Road and the death of analog thrills (ugh) and then immediately thought "hey don't do that" and deleted it.

I don't think James Cameron ever shot action scenes better than Terminator 2's. The Terminator is hampered a bit by it's budget and Aliens is hampered by the fact that no one can really move around right in those alien suits. I totally understand preferring those other two films. I think they both have better scripts. But in terms of what I actually watch these movies for, Terminator 2 is the tops.

Aliens is hampered by the fact that no one can really move around right in those alien suits.

Also being limited to 3 aliens per shot!  I'm still super impressed what they achieved with just 3 alien suits in Aliens.

As time wears on, I've grown to realize how much Terminator 2 paints the Terminator T-800 as the most laughably ineffective assassin in fiction. 

Human Casualties: 0.0

Miles Dyson died in T2! And so did a bunch of people in the mall and mental hospital. And everybody mimicked by the T-1000.

I know this is an extremely unpopular and incorrect opinion but Night at the Roxbury is a great movie.

I don't think I ever want to watch it again, but I remember having fun watching it with a bunch of friends years ago. 

I think that memory is probably best left as-is without revisiting the movie. 

I don't think I ever want to watch it again, but I remember having fun watching it with a bunch of friends years ago. 

I think that memory is probably best left as-is without revisiting the movie. 

I would recommend watching it again someday. It has aged decently and still has a fantastic soundtrack. It also helps if you were into Saturday Night Live at the time because I really think they did a great job harnessing the stupidity of that recurring skit and turning it into a movie.