ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I never watched Jem and knew pretty much nothing about it.  I thought it was about a super 80s all girl rock band and that's it.  I watched the trailer and thought it looked super generic but it didn't bother me until I read Apple Cider's writeup and talked to Teg about it.  I had no idea that the cartoon had magic or crazy technology or whatever happens in there.  I didn't realize they took what could have been a really interesting premise and made it the most bland thing possible.

Yes, the Jem trailer was very disappointing, virtually indistinguishable from any teen pop star Miley Cyrus story? Kinda? Where are the weird holograms and the general Scott Pilgrimminess of this show? My point isn't that it SHOULD be that, I'm just baffled why they chose to resurrect a 30 year old cartoon that the target audience will know nothing about, and then completely ignore everything about it.

[ADDED] Pretty much what Apple Cider wrote.

Yes, the Jem trailer was very disappointing, virtually indistinguishable from any teen pop star Miley Cyrus story? Kinda? Where are the weird holograms and the general Scott Pilgrimminess of this show? My point isn't that it SHOULD be that, I'm just baffled why they chose to resurrect a 30 year old cartoon that the target audience will know nothing about, and then completely ignore everything about it.

[ADDED] Pretty much what Apple Cider wrote.

Wait so we're talking about a movie that could have had as much fun with reality as Scott Pilgrim did; and then they made that? Harrumph.

There's also something to be said about how other reboots of eighties cartoons like the Transformers and GI Joe movies have been very gung-ho "fuck yeah, these guys are awesome," while the first one of these based on a show explicitly meant for girls seems to be more "being famous will stress you out and make people hate you." It's not that that's an inherently terrible hook, but the difference there is pretty difficult to ignore and I'm not expecting the director of the Justin Bieber movie to make the next Black Swan.

Though I would totally be okay with the "realistic" route if the Misfits are replaced with the actual real life Misfits.

There's also something to be said about how other reboots of eighties cartoons like the Transformers and GI Joe movies have been very gung-ho "fuck yeah, these guys are awesome," while the first one of these based on a show explicitly meant for girls seems to be more "being famous will stress you out and make people hate you." It's not that that's an inherently terrible hook, but the difference there is pretty difficult to ignore and I'm not expecting the director of the Justin Bieber movie to make the next Black Swan.

Well, the other signficant 80's girls' franchise was My Little Pony, which, a) internet weirdos aside, got a pretty strong revival, and b ) would be incredibly terrifying if re-imagined as a live action film.

This is accurate to how I feel!!!

It brings tears of joy into my eyes! Thanks, George Miller!

Fury Road is the Wolfenstein: The New Order of movies. I was hoping for a not terrible reboot and got so much more.

Time for a coherent thought, but only one. FOR NOW.

One of my favorite things was that, barring the intro exposition which lasted not long at all and was well done, Max spoke what felt like less than 100 words, and it was mostly just caveman grunting. They did a good job of making Mad Max not about Max, which I really love.

It was so good!

Saw Attila Marcel earlier today. I really enjoyed it, sad in many parts and lots of fun in others. It probably won't sit well for people who aren't used to French whimsical style things, but I think it's well worth a watch. Strangely no one seems to know about the movie even though it's directed by Chomet of Triplets of Belleville and The Illusionist. It's live action though.

I appreciated that

when Max actually made it to the War Rig, he fought them and tried to steal it without ever offering to make a deal or be a hero or anything like that. He only agreed to be accommodating when Furiosa twisted his arm. Like, he's the guy who the movie is named after, but he isn't a hero. The people Max meets are the ones who try to build a better world, and when they needed help the most, this maniac appears out of nowhere, gets forced into helping, puts the ball over the line, then disappears back into the wastelands. A man reduced to a single instinct.

1) Why isn't this thread pinned anymore?

2) Mad Max: Fury road. Man. Go see this amazing movie.

Leviathan (the 2014 Russian film, not the 2013 documentary*) is really amazing. Gorgeous and brutal movie about corruption in Russian government and religion.

*The 2013 documentary is also amazing, but much more experimental and difficult.

God damn it is amazing that a movie can just be so much better than the past years of blockbusters. Its cynical of me but I can't help but worry their gonna go and try to do back stories for characters in it. The storytelling in Mad Max was perfect. Please don't ruin it

Just saw Mad Max Fury Road for the second time. It was still as good, I'm still excited. I want to see it once more this week. I think this is a movie which's impact on the future of cinema is going to be amazing. I can imagine that if I saw this as a 7-year old kid, I would have decided immediately that I'm going to make movies.

I saw it with Synnah and agree with everyone ever - it was absolutely brilliant.

I also watched Speed Racer over the weekend - it's pretty much a trumped-up Spy Kids movie.

The Road Warrior was my Star Wars when i was a kid and, despite myself, I was immediately hyped for Fury Road from the frist tailer and holy cow did it live up to my unreasonable expectations. What a goddam miracle spectacle. My only niggles are a couple of clumsy PG-13ifying cuts and pans that I'm hoping will be corrected for the home release.

I'm going to find out of you can wear out a bluray disc when it's available.