ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Just finished season 3 of House of Cards (also spoilers for the UK one I guess, though the UK one is extremely similar in the basic plot and overall didn't hit the same high as the Netflix one to me)

I really enjoyed that season a lot. I feel like seasons one and two mostly characterised Frank as a tough person ought to get what he wants, but largely allowed him to just seem interesting rather than the morality of his actions being the focus. In season 3 they really narrowed down on him as a person, it seemed like they humanised his morality struggle a lot more. It did seem like Frank cared about the general population to an extent even if his focus was on personal goals and legacy. But ultimately that's not what mattered for him and what led to his end. He wasn't brought down by a lie Claire told for image's sake. He wasn't caught for Russo's murder. He dissolved his own team by his disregard for people. Because even though he cares and values them, in the end it all comes back to him.

I thought this was way better than the English ending, where, spoilers, his wife has him killed because of his declining career. Like in this one, he is fading once he is in power because he's unpopular all round. And his wife decides that he should be killed rather than face disgrace because of a soon to be unveiled scandal and his general decline. Instead, Claire leaving Frank is god damn fantastic. She always set herself out as one of the best characters in the show but in this season she just really drove so much of it, it was amazing. I will inevitably have to rewatch it now and focus more on her and her journey.

It was good. Watch it if you haven't.

I actually just finished House of Cards Season 3 as well.

Despite sticking with it, I'm fairly cool on this show.  I like the scenery-chewing performances and the handsome production values, but it's so aggressively self-serious despite being consistently preposterous and utterly insight-free about Washington.  This despite the show ostensibly being, you know, about Washington.  It's a big bloated soap opera, sleekly made.

I find the UK version to be way better.  It's leaner and, despite the lighter tone, meaner, because it's actually making commentary instead of dodging it.  The UK version doesn't dick around about what Francis represents: each episode begins with Ian Richardson's rich old white guy lionizing a portrait of Margaret Thatcher.  The U.S. version, on the other hand, doesn't seem to actually have anything to say, yet it spends exponentially more time saying it.  It's just kind of trashy and hollow, which I think would work better if it would embrace the campiness instead of acting like it's a prestige drama.

All that said, Season 3 was probably my favorite, because the conflict was better and it felt overall less meandering than the previous two.  This really shouldn't last more than one more season, though.

Watched It Follows over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

The basic premise is that there is this thing that will, very slowly, follow you until it gets you. It is easy to outrun but it never stops coming and only you can see it.

There is an allegory in there and I would be interested to hear the writer's philosophies about sex and sexuality (I couldn't decide what message I took away from it but overall they didn't seem to be condemning being sexually active). It has a really overpowering soundtrack that works with film really well and meshes with the tension of knowing that no matter what the characters do the thing will eventually catch up with them.

The plot has a few holes in it (doesn't every film script) but nothing that takes away from the film too much. So, yeah, worth a watch for sure.

I like the scenery-chewing performances and the handsome production values, but it's so aggressively self-serious despite being consistently preposterous and utterly insight-free about Washington. 

To be fair, you just literally described the modern state of D.C.  Self serious and without insight.

The basic premise is that there is this thing that will, very slowly, follow you until it gets you. It is easy to outrun but it never stops coming and only you can see it.

There is an allegory in there and I would be interested to hear the writer's philosophies about sex and sexuality

Huh. I would have thought the allegory was about death myself.

Huh. I would have thought the allegory was about death myself.

Well. There is a bit more to it that I didn't really explain as I didn't want to go too deep on it.

The way that you contract the thing that follows you is by having sex with someone who is currently being the one followed. If the person is killed by the thing that follows them it will return to following the original carrier.

The thing is it seems like the film doesn't seem to blame the person who unwittingly sleeps with the carrier but what happens afterwards and the things that the characters do... well that's the crux of the film.

I watched series 1 of Broadchurch this weekend on Netflix & the 6 episodes of The Jinx, because I was in the mood for mystery stuff, I really adore David Tennant, and the hype surrounding The Jinx intrigued me.

I really liked Broadchurch a lot. It was good British mystery in much the same way that Cormoran Strike novels by JK Rowling feel like a quintessential "British mystery" story. I would recommend Broadchurch.

I don't know how to feel about the Jinx & I know that it's kind of blown up on the internet especially given the news. The grisly true crime documentary nature & the matter of factness descriptions of heinously disturbing actions is really unsettling. I think episode 6 does the most interesting work as it turns the camera back on the filmmakers and includes them as a part of the story in a way they weren't before, and they act as a really effective audience stand-in.

I was looking into whether the PS3 has any alternative DLNA player apps and instead discovered Mubi, a streaming service that seems to stream critically acclaimed and/or rare films. Anyone else use it?

I was looking into whether the PS3 has any alternative DLNA player apps and instead discovered Mubi, a streaming service that seems to stream critically acclaimed and/or rare films. Anyone else use it?

My friend, who's crazy about obscure movies, has had it for at least a year. He loves it, but there is the caveat that you have to schedule your viewing almost entirely around making time to watch whatever movie's up if you want to get your money's worth.

What's great is that they also have short movies. I don't usually stumble upon shorts, but with this I could. But yeah, I imagine the schedule will be a bit of a problem.

I watched Clueless last week for the first time since the late 90's and I'm still thinking about it. There are very few movies that make me so happy. So glad it holds up.

I watched Clueless last week for the first time since the late 90's and I'm still thinking about it. There are very few movies that make me so happy. So glad it holds up.

Really? I watched it recently and it didn't really do a lot for me.

I actually just finished House of Cards Season 3 as well.

I don't think it's strength is in having something to say either I just found it entertaining as the story of the characters.

If it's very anachronistic I wouldn't have notice either since it's not really my political sphere but I can totally see where you'd take issue with that.

I'm curious what you think the English one had to say. It's been a while, but from what I remember it was pretty normal criticism of conservatism and power. A message I can agree with but not one that told me anything new.

Also I really hope there's not a third season. I thought it'd mirror the English one with this being his downfall. Without Claire he can't win the nominations. They made that clear. So he lost the moment she walked away.

I finally started watching Broad City and its pretty good! Consistently makes me laugh which is really what I want in a comedy.

Abbi's "I didn't poop it!" in the episode where they went to fancy dinner for her birthday still cracks me up just thinking about it. Also, Hannibal Burress!

Really? I watched it recently and it didn't really do a lot for me.

Fair enough! I thought it was hilarious and that the line it walked between sincerity and farce was really well done. And that every performance was pitch perfect.

House of Cards (U.S.) has become so stupid, but it's also just another one of those shows I watch every episode of just because I need shows to watch while I do things. I don't find any of the writing particularly good or making much sense.

I don't feel like it'll ever reach the height of the first season again.

House of Cards Season 3 discussion:

I don't think it's strength is in having something to say either I just found it entertaining as the story of the characters.

If it's very anachronistic I wouldn't have notice either since it's not really my political sphere but I can totally see where you'd take issue with that.

I'm curious what you think the English one had to say. It's been a while, but from what I remember it was pretty normal criticism of conservatism and power. A message I can agree with but not one that told me anything new.

Also I really hope there's not a third season. I thought it'd mirror the English one with this being his downfall. Without Claire he can't win the nominations. They made that clear. So he lost the moment she walked away.

Well, I think they've already dilated the story too much, but the show's not over until we see Frank's downfall, not just the event that ignites it.  Particularly, I feel like his murders have to be exposed, and the imprisoned newspaper guy and the hacker played by Jimmi Simpson would surely play a role in that.  Plus you'd hope these "hard-hitting" journalist characters that the show keeps introducing then unceremoniously dropping have to actually serve a purpose at some point.  (Ayla gets abruptly replaced by the Kim Dickens character for some reason, and nothing ultimately comes of her either.)

I imagine Season 4 being the chronicle of Frank's spectacular flameout, where he fruitlessly attempts to win re-election (possibly against his own wife, unless I'm misreading the clues) and all his dirty secrets are exposed in the process.  I doubt the show will go for the nutty (but incredibly appropriate) climax of the British series where his own wife orchestrates his assassination to preserve his legacy, but I'm still expecting Spacey to go down in the most entertainingly defiant way possible.

At least I fucking hope that's what we're in for after all this wheel-spinning.  And yes, please, no more after Season 4.  It says something that it took the American version 39 episodes to accomplish what the British version did in, what, a dozen?

House of Cards Season 3 discussion:

Well, I think they've already dilated the story too much, but the show's not over until we see Frank's downfall, not just the event that ignites it.  Particularly, I feel like his murders have to be exposed, and the imprisoned newspaper guy and the hacker played by Jimmy Simpson would surely play a role in that.  Plus you'd hope these "hard-hitting" journalist characters that the show keeps introducing then unceremoniously dropping have to actually serve a purpose at some point.  (Ayla gets abruptly replaced by the Kim Dickens character for some reason, and nothing ultimately comes of her either.)

I imagine Season 4 being the chronicle of Frank's spectacular flameout, where he fruitlessly attempts to win re-election (possibly against his own wife, unless I'm misreading the clues) and all his dirty secrets are exposed in the process.  I doubt the show will go for the nutty (but incredibly appropriate) climax of the British series where his own wife orchestrates his assassination to preserve his legacy, but I'm still expecting Spacey to go down in the most entertainingly defiant way possible.

At least I fucking hope that's what we're in for after all this wheel-spinning.  And yes, please, no more after Season 4.  It says something that it took the American version 39 episodes to accomplish what the British version did in, what, a dozen?

Woof. I don't really want any of that. I might watch it for entertainment value but it'll feel so fruitless and meandering. I liked an ending where he;s sort of bullet proof in one way, because his power protects him from a massive public character assassination. But he's also massively flawed in way that destroys any long term longevity he could have.

It's funny again you compare to the British one, because I found that to be overly rushed and condensed (though maybe that was partly because I watched them in a relatively short period). Though I also think the American one could be trimmed down.

Though, from Googling it, the director is dodging the 4th series question in a cheeky way a lot. So that makes me suspicious that they might do another. Bleh.

Watched It Follows over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

There is an allegory in there and I would be interested to hear the writer's philosophies about sex and sexuality (I couldn't decide what message I took away from it but overall they didn't seem to be condemning being sexually active). It has a really overpowering soundtrack that works with film really well and meshes with the tension of knowing that no matter what the characters do the thing will eventually catch up with them.

The plot has a few holes in it (doesn't every film script) but nothing that takes away from the film too much. So, yeah, worth a watch for sure.

It Follows is so amazing. Best directed horror film I've seen in years and years. 

If you liked that then I have a couple of others that are worth getting into, the first is one of my all time favourites: The Woman. The second is called The Mooring.

Both have that subdued style to it and both use their soundtrack in interesting ways.

It was weird because It Follows did instantly grab me but I have been thinking about it all week - always a good sign.

I saw A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night a couple of nights ago. Very moody, interestingly shot film. Between that and What We Do In The Shadows, that's two vampire movies in the last three weeks for me. Both were awesome in different ways. Girl was very reminiscent of Jarmusch at his best (Down By Law or Mystery Train). That will be very appealing to some and very unappealing to others. If you are in the former camp, check it out.

The time is meow: Super Troopers 2. 

I'm way too excited about this. 

I want it to be good, am afraid it will not be.

My wife and I started watching Veep a week or two ago and are halfway through season 2.  Like almost everyone else that already discussed it on this thread I enjoy it a whole bunch.

If you liked that then I have a couple of others that are worth getting into, the first is one of my all time favourites: The Woman. The second is called The Mooring.

Both have that subdued style to it and both use their soundtrack in interesting ways.

It was weird because It Follows did instantly grab me but I have been thinking about it all week - always a good sign.

The Woman is good (I'm a big fan of Lucky McKee) but I haven't seen The Mooring. I'll have to check it out.

But if you really want to see a film with a similar style, you should check out It Follows director David Robert Mitchell's first film Myth of the American Sleepover. It's not a horror film, but it has that same languid slightly dreamy approach to adolescent sexual tension. It's really really good. Just think a slower younger version of Dazed and Confused.

It's funny, after I first saw that I said that he should direct an adaptation of Charles Burns' Black Hole which is a surreal horror-tinged graphic novel about an STD going through a high school and mutating all those infected. And lo and behold his next movie was a surreal horror film about an STD (or, I supposed, a sexually transmitted curse) working it's way through a group of high school friends.