ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Cat's Eyes did the soundtrack for that film. Cat's Eyes creates great music.

The music was great! Sounded very inspired by 70's European horror movies even though the movie itself isn't really that.

Ughhhh I've been wanting to see Duke of Burgundy for months but there is straight up no way for me to legally see it. Immensely frustrating.

In less garbage news I'm going to see It Follows this weekend!

Yeah, it's weird. For one of the most anticipated films of the year it's only getting 5 total showings in the small screening room-sized theater at the Music Box. 

Uh what how is that even a thing and how did no one else want to pick it up over fucking Yahoo.

It's a super expensive show to make!  And from the press around this new season, they've thrown even more money than NBC gave them.  It's all part of Yahoo!'s attempt to get in on that Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/HBOGo/Sling/Sony/etc streaming channel game.  

Let me rephrase:

How is Yahoo streaming even a thing! This disgusts me. I hate that all these things are in different places. I am a baby. Fuck Yahoo!

I'm waiting for Altavista streaming myself

I always read this as deliberate: we're only shown him practising in that way after Fletcher's been established as a real piece of work. I'm honestly a little confused how many people read the movie as approving of what's going on - I'd almost say it was too subtle about its opinion of the consequences of Fletcher's beliefs, except that we get to hear Fletcher's beliefs after:

we see Neiman stumble out of a fucking car crash, racing to the competition, and Fletcher's only reaction being that he's not going to play looking like he crawled out of a car crash. This is not exactly subtle.

I think I may have just grossly misread the tone of the final scene because I did not get any sense that it was meant to be anything less than an ultimate moment of triumph. His dad staring on in awe was just "I can't believe my son is capable of this shit!" to me. But the more I think about it that reading is pretty flawed. I guess the way he shares a smile with Fletcher at the final moment is meant to represent the fact that he hasn't moved on from craving his approval, rather than a brief moment of mutual respect.

But... honestly, the inaccuracies really did bother me in and of themselves, because the movie, even if it's not ultimately about drumming, still seems infatuated with it in a way that seems like it's meant to win over the audience. Except for anyone who actually knows the first thing about drumming. So I guess it's not really For Me.

On a more positive note, I've been meaning to see it for ages but the Raid 2 did not disappoint. Hammers Lady and Baseball Bat Boy (no relation) might have been a smidge too goofy, in an anime kind of way, but the rest of it was goofy in exactly the right way. A+

Oh, man those two Community episodes were great! Every time they've disappeared and come back I've worried they've lost it, but they still got it!

I don't know if this has been disussed earlier, but Pixels looks like a huge pile of shit:

I haven't even heard of it before today. Now I wish I never knew about it at all.

There's also subliminal messaging in that official trailer! Fun times! :tdown:

CAYLb-uVAAA90FB.png

I did like the Iwatani bit. It was cute. (even though it was obvious where it was going)

I have an urge to unlock a lady Lisa now, for some reason..

Yep, thanks JKO for making me aware of it :P

I know it's subliminal messaging, but I don't even understand the message. Subliminal or not it kinda fails then.

I felt really sorry for Iwatani. It was awkward and forced.

For some reason the most aggravating thing was that once again, movie makers don't understand how big the universe is. If NASA sends anything into space in the year 1982, it's not magically going to end up in another solar system a mere 30 years later. It don't care that mostly 'stupid' movies do this (Battleship), it's an instant Fuck This.

The (admittedly stupid) thing that bothers me is that for some reason, things the aliens touch turn into glowing pixels? I can see an alien race creating death machines that look like physical manifestations of Pacman or whatever, but the conceit of them somehow converting or infecting things with pixel-ism is pretty stupid.

I mean, it's obviously just Ghostbusters-find/replace-video games, so that's their visual shorthand for ectoplasm, I guess. But it's very stupid.

It's based on that one short film which basically just started off with a TV getting dumped, which they optioned and put Adam Sandler in because

Y'all take things a touch seriously sometimes.  It looks like a dumb, fun disaster movie. 

I did like the Iwatani bit. It was cute. (even though it was obvious where it was going)

Agreed! At least it was doing something beyond "hey, remember [video game]?!" and that's actually a really nice performance for a non-actor cameo, imo.

The rest makes it looks pretty awful though. And not for 'logic' reasons - this is a silly comedy, not Interstellar! It has to be 1982 to get the games in the time capsule; maybe it fell through a wormhole? Or some other alien technology? And maybe the technology the aliens used to make living pixel things limited them to pixel-based weaponry?

I agree it looks like a lot of fun!

I'm super happy we're both on board with how cool this movie looks!

I agree with Ben X

I'm super happy  with how cool Ben X looks!

Dawww, thanks, you two.

This joke has probably been done but...

HEY EVERYTHING IS 3D WHY ISNT IT CALLED VOXELS

meh.. "All right. It's Saturday night, I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape." was better