ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Last weekend I saw The Interview and really liked. Stupid movie, completely stupid, but pretty funny. Best James Franco comedic performance in my opinion.

Also watched The Kid with a Bike, loved it. It's a small fable involving a kid, a bike, his terrible father and a really nice woman. Well, I don't know what to say without being spoilery, besides that it's a more grounded story, without many cathartic moments, but it resonates with you after the credits.

Now I'm planning to watch All is Lost. I never had any really interest watching it, but last night I was sleepless and saw it on Netflix, so why not. But I got really interested and it wasn't helping me sleeping at all, so I just stopped to watch it at a better hour. Got hyped with it, loved that the film is just a silent Robert Redford trying to survive at the sea.

I would definitely go ahead and watch All is Lost. It's surprisingly gripping. It manages to command your attention despite the minimalism of performance.

Still trying to decide whether I can be bothered to watch the Interview.

I also really enjoyed The Interview. If you liked This Is The End, you'll like this. I preferred it to ********* Express.

I watched The Machine, Ex Machina and Big Hero 6 recently and didn't think much of any of them.

John Wick is a good solid action movie that doesn't insult your intelligence. Bit long, but the action scenes are really well shot.

I couldn't stand The Interview at all but I really liked This Is The End. Was my favourite latest Rogen show before I saw Neighbours.

I couldn't stand The Interview at all but I really liked This Is The End. Was my favourite latest Rogen show before I saw Neighbours.

Damn. Okay, it's not guaranteed that fans of TITE will like The Interview. Maybe those that prefer TITE to Neighbours (which I thought was weak) are guaranteed to like The Interview..!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good adaptation of Hamlet?

I'm surprised some wag hasn't posted this already. Don't worry, team, I'll be that guy, so you don't have to:

I'm still waiting for opinions on Mel Gibson's Hamlet...

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe has started up again. First ep started off very strong but got bogged down in shitty contributors as usual - Philomena Clunk's sub-Ali G stuff is particularly dreadful.

John Wick is one of the best action movies I've seen in year.

John Wick was a lot of campy fun. The action was pretty sweet too, but both The Raid movies have ruined cool looking fight scenes for me. They are just too fucking good. Watch those if ya like brutal mayhem.

John Wick was a lot of campy fun. The action was pretty sweet too, but both The Raid movies have ruined cool looking fight scenes for me. They are just too fucking good. Watch those if ya like brutal mayhem.

I think "brutal" is the operative word for The Raid films. John Wick feels different, more balletic, more elegantly choreographed. Both have their place, but I prefer John Wick. After a while I grew numb to the Raid's endless brutality, even if the fights are all really impressive.

Full quote: “"Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person [who knew literally nothing about either series] said."

I said in IRC that I could actually see that making some sort of sense, if it didn't focus on the primary Link/Zelda/Ganondorf trifectaorce. It might be interesting to see the typical Zelda story from the perspective of Everyone Else.

Of course I have little to no faith in this thing to deliver on anything like that.

I think when people make those kinds of comparisons they're probably basing it off a couple screenshots of the two series.

Netflix announces work on Zelda live action series, describes it as "“Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said."

Ummm, what?

You don't remember all the politics in the Legend of Zelda? It makes total sense!

Maybe they're assuming that Link is like Tyrion.

Seventh Son: Two white guys born with super strength and reflexes hunt foreigners and independent women to keep the land pure. 

:spiraldy:

I quite liked The Interview.

So if you liked ********* Express, haven't seen This is the End and liked the Neighbours trailer.. maybe you'll like The Interview?

Wait, did that mess up Ben's formula for liking The Interview?!

You're in luck - Neighbors 2 is on the way!

I hope I do. I really liked that these were mostly one offs.

The casts of these movies all have pretty amazing chemistry. I wouldn't mind them being thrown at different scripts/concepts.

Anyone seen the first few episodes of Wolf Hall yet? I'm enchanted so far. Even if the themes are slightly different, it preserves the guarded and meditative feel of the books, which is great.

A good movie is Enter the Void, even if the first scene makes me nauseous. You should watch it because for all its weird flaws, it is one of the most original viewing experiences you can have.