ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

The more I watch of the yearly Wipes, the more I suspect that I don't care for the yearly Wipes. The few I've watched always seemed weirdly forced compared to the Wipe series.

That interpolation stuff is a crock. Turn it off.

This. I've watched TV with people before who can't see it, and it's the worst. I'm like TURN IT OFF PLEASE and they're like turn what off? and then I scream as my eyes leave my body and converge into a single entity, separate from my own, and start beating my friend to death.

Broadchurch season 2 starts in a few days time! I think the first new episode is on Monday 5th, ITV1

That black mirror episode was fantastic! Really effective and actually quite harrowing like nothing else I've seen this year

CONCEPT ART FOR A NOW CANCELLED NEW ALIEN FILM.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=963607

Also, theirs a Wolf Hall adaptation by the BBC on towards the end of Jan. 6 eps long, apparently the BBC have spent £6million on it.

Although the trailer doesn't look particularly exciting :/. .... But, Damian Lewis as Henry the 8th :tup:

We ran out of shit romcoms to watch over Christmas and ended up watching I Could Never Be Your Woman. It turned out to be really good! Directed by Amy Heckerling and retaining a handful of Clueless actors (primarily Paul Rudd, who is utterly charming in this), it walks up to tropes then ignores them, has a sharp script and features a bizarrely large number of Britcom actors doing American accents.

I just saw Wild and liked it quite a bit. I wasn't sure what to expect going into it, but it felt really honest....I'd seen some reviews accuse it of being oscar-baity, but I didn't feel that way at all.

So The Babadook was super creepy. I think it definitely lives up to expectations.

I don't think its the type of movie that will make you check under your bed. But it can threaten to stifle you under a darkly oppressive air of dread.

So, between showing a friend of mine the first part of the first A Touch of Cloth, watching 2014 Wipe, and recommending Black Mirror to anyone I know with taste, I ended up back on a Brooker kick and ran through A Touch of Cloth 2 and 3.  Those are both really stupid, and yet really hilarious.

All 3 A Touch of Cloth series are recommended if you're the sort of person who liked Police Squad!

Also, theirs a Wolf Hall adaptation by the BBC on towards the end of Jan. 6 eps long, apparently the BBC have spent £6million on it.

Although the trailer doesn't look particularly exciting :/. .... But, Damian Lewis as Henry the 8th :tup:

As I *keep* telling people, Mark Rylance is one of the world's greatest living actors - his stage work is simply sublime. Him as Cromwell is a brilliantly exciting casting, and goddamn you will be amazed by him.

Finally got around to seeing the 2nd and 3rd episodes of penny dreadful after watching the first months ago... its reallllllly good. You will not know horror until I have shown it to you. I might try and work that into my wedding vowels

Just finished watching the first season (only 8 episodes), and I won't be watching the second. Nicely shot, but ponderous and repetitive with shallow, muddled characterisation and a pointless, mishandled gimmick.

Just finished watching the first season (only 8 episodes), and I won't be watching the second. Nicely shot, but ponderous and repetitive with shallow, muddled characterisation and a pointless, mishandled gimmick.

Note how that comment was made only after the 3rd episode. Those earlier episodes were great and I enjoyed the flashback episode, but yeah your right it didn't really go anywhere. Utter waste of Dorian Gray :( I'll give it another shot as I liked the style. Dr Jekyll will probably turn up in season 2 :tup:

Also, not really a recommendation. We just watched the first episode of this new series, a guy is walking the length of the Nile and documenting it, it's going to take him a year apparently.

Towards the end of this episode he met up with an English photographer and American writer who asked if they could join him for a stint. Couple days in they're walking through this game reserve in the middle of nowhere in 40 degree heat. The American gets heat stroke and fucking dies. Unbelievably shocking. The programme was kinda annoying me up to that point as it didn't seem like they were taking the right precautions, they got robbed and could've easily been murdered. Constantly walking stupidly close to crocodiles, hippos, elephants that could attack. Then this poor bastard joins their Micky mouse expedition and fuckin dies.

Obliviously there's no easy/safe way to walk across Africa.

I cried for, like, 80% of Selma.

Selma is the most intense movie experience I've had in a long time. I will not spoil how, and I hope none of the reviews do either, but that movie does a brutal job of setting you up for the upsetting history of race relations in America. It's one of the few historical dramas that I think does a fair job of dealing with the subject matter on all sides.

I agree. I am so happy it's a movie about the civil rights movement that takes place after the civil rights bill was signed, because the comfortable narrative these movies tend to have is "Things were terrible, and then a few really brave people suffered tremendously and then they achieved their goal and that's why we are all living happily ever after", and that's not at all what Selma does. It's about the ongoing struggle.

This movie doesn't make those kinds of concessions to white audiences in the ways prestige pictures usually do.

I saw The Rover recently. It's like a more nihilistic version of Mad Max, utterly devoid of glamour and showing revenge as petty and brutal.

:tup:, but only if you're feeling resilient beforehand.

When it first aired I skipped Ripper Street, the name and adverts having suggested a high level of shlock. As such it made for a pleasant surprise when I gave it a watch earlier last year, and an opportune trial of Amazon Prime — which picked up the show in the BBC's absence —.has allowed me to devour the third series over the holidays.

I don't know if the change of venue played any part, but I'd say this latest run is the best of the three. It has a more pronounced narrative through-line and a lot changes in the space of 8 episodes, making a nice change from the drip feed of character development you typically get with crime dramas. I want to say women are better represented, too, with a wider net cast and far more female roles outside that of victim.

For those in the US, apparently the third series will be on BBC America in "early 2015".

Starred Up is an intense prison drama about a "Young Offender" who gets sent to the real prison and starts causing trouble immediately, and the relationships he forms with the others. Probably not as deep as it could be, but has some stellar performances and kept me on the edge of my seat.

Watching Dinosaurs for the first time since I was a kid/it was originally on. I wasn't sure how it would hold up, but I really liked it back then. It's better now.

For a second I thought you meant the Disney film Dinosaur and was about to launch into a thing about how one of my college professors worked on that movie and how much better the idea was before the stupid CG dinosaurs were given creepy human eyes and talked.

Then I realized you meant "not the mama".

The end of that show is surprisingly subversive.

I saw Birdman and I enjoyed it. I don't really know what else to say because I think it's the kind of movie people should go into completely cold. It's a shame it's not playing in more places.

Yes, this. I really enjoyed it, came out feeling energised.

the Disney film Dinosaur and was about to launch into a thing about how one of my college professors worked on that movie and how much better the idea was before the stupid CG dinosaurs were given creepy human eyes and talked.

Blimey, this happened to the Walking With Dinosaurs movie as well, didn't it? It was going to keep to the show's nature documentary style, albeit following a single dinosaur herd, then they decided it needed the dinosaurs to be voiced and do poop jokes. There must be some focus group company that keeps telling production companies that people hate non-talking dinosaurs. I hope they're not advising the Jurassic World team - then again...

Netflix is seemingly taking all of BBC's catalog off of their service on February 1 and I just finished the TV series I've been watching for weeks (Nikita, I still love it), so I'm taking this opportunity to dive into that backlog with purpose. I'm almost through series 1 of Luther which I've been enjoying very much, I hope that having heard that it gets worse as time goes on will allow me to enjoy it all the way through with tempered expectations.

Netflix is seemingly taking all of BBC's catalog off of their service on February 1 and I just finished the TV series I've been watching for weeks (Nikita, I still love it), so I'm taking this opportunity to dive into that backlog with purpose. I'm almost through series 1 of Luther which I've been enjoying very much, I hope that having heard that it gets worse as time goes on will allow me to enjoy it all the way through with tempered expectations.

Does that mean that I won't be able to watch Sherlock? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Looks like Sherlock is safe, so I guess I should have said "much of BBC's catalog" -

wUfRnxv.png