ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Don't watch this trailer

Be warned it pretty much spoiled the entire film. I stopped watch about 2/3rds through.

Fuck now that I think about it I'm fucking pissed. Why even make the fucking movie if you going to do this.

I've been watching Nikita, which has been surprisingly good considering it was a CW show that looked kinda bland in outward appearance. It didn't even occur to me until I watched much of the first season that it is a TV adaptation of (La Femme) Nikita. In many ways it reminds me of Alias, except with a more limited scope (which I think is good) and more believable characters (also good). It caught my attention due to The Rise of Maggie Q, who came up on my radar with appearances in Die Hard 4, Mission Impossible 3 and Need for Speed: Undercover (in FMV, no less) and now seems to be showing up all the time between big films like Divergent and CBS's Stalker television series.

Anyways, the series just completed its run last year and all of the episodes are available on Netflix. I'm just about through the first season but I feel pretty confident recommending it to people who enjoy Bond/Alias-type spy stuff.

Don't watch this trailer

Be warned it pretty much spoiled the entire film. I stopped watch about 2/3rds through.

Fuck now that I think about it I'm fucking pissed. Why even make the fucking movie if you going to do this.

Sooooo, they just combined T1 and T2?  Lame.

It weirds me out that they've got a very obviously new (and really super young-looking?) Sarah Connor actress, but the same old (old) Arnold.

Also, it weirds me out that people still want to see Arnold in anything, because he's always been an astonishingly bad actor, he just happened to be super buff at one point.

I'd rather watch Arnie's acting than Christian Bale's acting.

Arnold's movies are still mostly the 80s action/comedy movies, which simply rock. This Terminator movie (nor T3) does not really belong to that category :/

With tegan on this, except that I actively dislike Arnold in any movie and it actually ruins the movie.

The first Conan is amazing, and I genuinely don't think it would work with anyone else.  Of course, Arnold doesn't have to say very much.  I'd probably rather go back and watch Arnold's 80s action movies versus some of the other 80s stars. 

He's fantastic as a near-mute barbarian, a near-mute cyborg, and a soldier in a state of mute shock after fighting a Predator. Maybe he should have been a mime.

Okay I'll admit to being okay with him in Conan. Terminator I found boring for different reasons. Predator I've never seen.

It weirds me out that they've got a very obviously new (and really super young-looking?) Sarah Connor actress, but the same old (old) Arnold.

Also, it weirds me out that people still want to see Arnold in anything, because he's always been an astonishingly bad actor, he just happened to be super buff at one point.

I think he's pretty perfect as the Terminator in The Terminator and not bad in T2.

Arnie has put in a some great performances and a few real turkeys. The cameo in the first Expendables is one of the worst things I've ever seen on film. It's like when someone films you and asks you to walk for the camera. Suddenly you can't walk normally. Think it's called 'acting' and Arnold gets rusty when he doesn't do it for a while. A few of the lines in this seem a bit forced but otherwise I quite enjoyed that trailer. Salvation couldn't set the bar much lower. Stealing from or invoking T1 and T2 has to be a good thing after that, no? Anyone think they'll try a CG Robert Patrick cameo?

Otherwise, my only first impression negatives are:

Obvious CG endo shooting laser gun.

Obvious CG back and shoulders of the 80s Terminator.

Kyle Reese looks 'bland generic Hollywood pumped' as opposed to the wiry fighter he was.

YES.

ALSO, I CAN'T FIND ANY SCREENINGS AT CHICAGO, WHY YOU GOTTA LIE TO ME, PTA.

Lawrence of Arabia: still pretty good, if you can excuse the casual racism. Even then, though, the Magical White Man trope is tempered a little by the focus the film gives to the entirely justified distrust between the Bedouin tribes and the English, Lawrence's private acknowledgement that he's got no business being respected by the Arab armies, and that the newly formed Arabia needs Arab leadership.

In any case, it's probably the only super-British, kinda racist, 3+ hour movie about a war I'm going to see this summer.

(I'll see Bridge on the River Kwai some other time)

YES.

ALSO, I CAN'T FIND ANY SCREENINGS AT CHICAGO, WHY YOU GOTTA LIE TO ME, PTA.

Must See.

Must See.

I've got tickets to see 70mm on Fridayyyyyy.  Excited!  Just got done doing an LA-based movie marathon two weeks ago (with a showing of Los Angeles Plays Itself at the end (so good!!!!) since it showed up on Netflix recently).  70s LA, PTA, Pyncheon.  Should be fun!

I've got tickets to see 70mm on Fridayyyyyy.  Excited!  Just got done doing an LA-based movie marathon two weeks ago (with a showing of Los Angeles Plays Itself at the end (so good!!!!) since it showed up on Netflix recently).  70s LA, PTA, Pyncheon.  Should be fun!

Awesome! I really need to check out similar things in Wellington, we have these excellent film festivals but I never seem to make time for them.