ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

i've never seen an alien in my life

Unless that Disney World attraction that always scared the hell out of me as a tiny child counts.

Bjorn. did you keep watching this? Did it pick up again? I really enjoyed the pilot and the 2nd ep was also cool. Haven't seen the 3rd ep yet and am hoping it doesn't pull an Arrow...

No, we haven't gone back to it.  Shortly after watching the first three episodes at my friend's place, we started watching Farscape, and we tend to just watch one show at a time until we're all the way through it.  My friend is a big fan of the show though, and I generally have a lot of faith in his recommendations. 

i've never seen an alien in my life

Unless that Disney World attraction that always scared the hell out of me as a tiny child counts.

Fix that

I will say that if Tumblr is any indication, and it probably isn't, Sleepy Hollow has some of the better

'time-traveller is good-naturedly confused about the modern world'

scenes I've seen.

Fix that

That's what everyone says! I'm... not really that interested in doing so, though. I suspect it'll just end up being another Terminator situation.

That's what everyone says! I'm... not really that interested in doing so, though. I suspect it'll just end up being another Terminator situation.

Fix it!

I sort of prefer the Alien Director's Cut. I'm not sure the inserted "kill me" stuff was necessary but I didn't mind it. What I liked was that Ridley Scott made it slightly shorter by trimming the movie here and there all along the way, which makes for a quicker experience, which I think does the movie a service.

Someone went through the tedious task of comparison if you are curious, Toblix:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1385

I will say that if Tumblr is any indication, and it probably isn't, Sleepy Hollow has some of [REDACTED] scenes I've seen.

I really enjoyed that reveal and had no idea it was coming, so I'd call that a spoiler!

Thanks a lot Ben, now you've told me it's a spoiler, I recalled what you [REDACTED] and now it's firmly lodged in my brain as something that would spoil Sleepy Hollow for me, which it wasn't before. THANKS, BEN! :(

Oh my, I thought that was the premise! They were being so open about it. My apologies.

fuckin' tumblr

It is the premise, and you find out about ten minutes into the pilot, so you're not at fault, but seeing as I was unaware of it and really enjoyed finding out in the moment, plus the fact that awareness of the show seems to be pretty low here, I thought it would be nice to preserve for others!

Well now I'm upset and will surely never watch it because you've all collectively ruined it for me. Shame on you. Shame!

It's totally the premise of the show, and I assume it's heavily advertised. But, like Ben, I managed to watch it without having any idea that it was about [redacted], and it was a super fun surprise. 

I found Sleepy Hollow pretty corny, but that might be because I watched it on a plane while I was tired. It was enjoyable under those circumstances. Plus points: you'll probably not have any trouble following it even if sleep deprived.

Finally saw The Wolf of Wall Street it was a pretty good watch it certainly prefers to go with J.B. on his master of the universe excursion and paints him as default hero rather than selfish antihero (would've at least been closer to the real deal).

But my main fault with the movie is that at the end when he's hosting a conference in Auckland, New Zealand the presenter does not have any kind of NZ or AUS accent at all. The movie doesn't stop to say anything about the dude so it's just one of the worst fake New Zealand accents I've heard since Enter The Dragon.

It's a tiny thing but try to imagine a 'born an raised' Bostonite speaking with a SoCal skater tone.

The presenter is, in fact, the real Jordan Belford.

I think the key to Wolf of Wall Street, like Gone Girl, is assuming the camera can't be trusted. It's more obvious in Wolf of Wall Street because Belford appeals directly to the camera and we see things in a representational style that would never have happened in reality, like Belford being arrested in the middle of his sales pitch, which continues to air as he's led away. Belford is celebrating his success, because he's an amoral dickweasel, but the film itself is about how Belford managed to get away with it for so long. It's a film about the audience in a really clever way.

Oh man, if you guys get a chance to see Whiplash DO IT. That movie is so amazing. I saw the 2013 short it's adapted from earlier this year and it was great but I never imagined it could be expanded to feature-length so successfully. Easily the best ending of any movie I've seen this year.

Here's a scene from the film that gives a good idea of what the film is like. In a lot of ways it's like Full Metal Jacket meets Juliard.

Merus: Yeah there was a report of a showing to some stock brokers who all stood up and cheered at the most insane parts.

I don't remember where it was though.

I've seen Whiplash twice now with different people, it's one of the most intense movies I've seen this year.

Watched 'The Drop' a few days ago, good movie with a wierd tonal shift right at the end. There's a bit of ambiguity about it which I wish was a bit stronger.

Rundskop (Bullhead in english) by the same director is also well worth watching. One of the best 'revenge' stories and a bunch of really interesting characters.

I watched Sin City: A Dame to Kill For recently. It is basically a slightly inferior version of the first film in pretty much every way. The CG and effects don't look quite as good, the actors aren't quite as A-list, the writing is a little less absorbing, the characters are a little less intriguing and the style is... well, not quite as stylish.

Still an enjoyable film, but definitely not the cultural touchstone that the first one was. I recommend it only as a rental/streaming/group film.

I watched Sin City: A Dame to Kill For recently. It is basically a slightly inferior version of the first film in pretty much every way. The CG and effects don't look quite as good, the actors aren't quite as A-list, the writing is a little less absorbing, the characters are a little less intriguing and the style is... well, not quite as stylish.

Still an enjoyable film, but definitely not the cultural touchstone that the first one was. I recommend it only as a rental/streaming/group film.

I saw that in a group with a movie nerd friend of mine and by the end he actually apologized to me for our mutual viewing experience  :lol:

I don't think it's quite that bad but it did get a little tired. Biggest complaints would be the run time and how repetitive and recycled every main character's meditations on women were. Also the way they handled the macho bullshit in that film. When handled correctly macho talk can make for an interesting character or at least a convincing one; I'm thinking Crank as a successful example. But in SS:ADTKF everyone said pretty much the same thing and it came off as the posturing it was.