ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I appreciated that in Paranorman, at least the butt of the joke was the cheerleader who didn't realize he wasn't interested and not the guy himself; but yeah.

Wow, that was NOT how I read The Boxtrolls and the crossdressing therein at all. I saw it as criticism aimed at the vapid men who at first would fawn over her as the sheerest object of femininity, and then be repulsed as soon as they saw she was a man. The majority of the jokes are aimed at that horribly myopic group of men with white hats. True, the crossdresser is depicted as a hideous creature, but that's because the person behind it is hideous. That sort of adds to the joke that the men are tricked by a bit of lipstick and a wig? Beyond that, the whole world oozes with the grotesque. I understand how you could interpret this as problematic, but I read it quite the opposite way, as a critique of shallow appearances (which is one of the central themes of the film; with the bad guy lusting after superficial status symbols).

It's not terrible, but it didn't read as very different to the old cartoon style things. Someone crossdresses for a disguise, it's played for laughs and then when the other character/s realise it's funny how they're disgusted.

But when representation of any social group is limited, having them appear just for laughs is pretty unfair. Especially when it's especially aimed at children.

Before ya'll dudes stick to your guns on your reading of this movie, maybe you should first read something from the perspective that's being affected the most by this. 

http://phoenixhobbit.tumblr.com/post/97985809295/the-boxtrolls-is-transmisogynist

Alright, won't be seeing it.

I already have a hard time walking out in public when I'm in my dress or skirt or just have my nails painted, but I don't want to relive that when I'm watching a movie;unless, it's deeply part of the story and characters.

For me it was a little that

without Nathan

I didn't see how it was supposed to be half as funny. And in general, the show started to take itself more seriously even though the plot was just as poorly written as in Series 1 (where they just didn't care and mostly joked about).

The worst example for me was

Alisha discovered future Simon's secret underground base and a bunch of plot occurred from that. Then at the end of the episode Curtis rewound time to save everyone or fix things or whatever, so none of the episode at all happened.

But then in the next episode they just pretended that the plot point of Alisha discovering the underground base was so important it happened anyway, and it's just never addressed in the show because they hoped people wouldn't notice.

Also I just read this on the character page on wikipedia (cause I forgot everyone's names)

Curtis originally had the power of time manipulation, then had the power to swap biological sex, then had the power to resurrect people (and animals) from the dead (as zombies).

That's pretty terrible since their initial powers were highly related to their biggest character flaws and made for a really interesting take on how superpowers could be attempts to compensate for insecurities but actually cause more trouble than they're worth.

Damn, I just reminded myself how much I love season 1/hate season 2.

I agree with Ninja and SBM on Misfits - the writing is often fairly ropey even in the first two seasons, but it gets away with it thanks to its energy and sense of fun. Unfortunately, after season 2 it gets really nasty instead, it makes even less sense (aside from time-loop bollocks, character motivation and logic also go out of the window), becomes repetitive, and starts to tell stories that barely require superpowers (like the one revolving around euthanasia). It's like the writer wanted to be working on a different show but couldn't so just hammered Misfits into a different shape (but isn't that good a writer and therefore the shape is that of a giant turd).

So Misfits is the new Heroes?

DISCLAIMER: I hate-watched all of Heroes past the first season, and I'd never heard of Misfits until it was brought up in here just now.

So Misfits is the new Heroes?

Does that mean every episode ends with a cliffhanger being resolved and two additional cliffhangers being introduced?

Heroes was it's own special brand of terrible, because Heroes started well and then they just kept trying to build up new plotlines, ideas and complex threads while it had a slow descent into increasing madness and mess.

Misfits just sorta falls down a stairs and suddenly it's down from where it started, and no more ambitious then when they were doing well. Though I never did watch series 3, maybe they kept that downward momentum going.

Heroes is one of my favourite TV shows for just how shit it became as the time went on.

The weird thing about Heroes is I secretly sorta liked the last few episodes. Not because it was GOOD but it was sorta FUN again.

Though I still will forever hate that damn cheerleader whose name I can never remember.

I don't remember them in detail but I loved the stupidity of how they managed to revisit the two most overused plots simultaneously, the one about Sylar turning good and the one about telling the world about superheroes.

...those probably each only happened twice but that was too much.

So anyway, who wants to make a Heroes Rewatch podcast with me?

post-33601-0-47841800-1413322688.jpg

DAMMIT, it was going to be like she was looking right at Twig's post.

"Realistic" Captain Cold looks so damn goofy. I'd rather go with the OG costume than that, then again DC has been never good a shape-costume reimaging.

I don't remember them in detail but I loved the stupidity of how they managed to revisit the two most overused plots simultaneously, the one about Sylar turning good and the one about telling the world about superheroes.

...those probably each only happened twice but that was too much.

So anyway, who wants to make a Heroes Rewatch podcast with me?

I'll be down

EDIT: Maybe, let me look at my schedule. When are you thinking about doing this?

I only ever watched like the first two episodes of Heroes, and so no characters particularly left an impression on me.  I am completely ambivalent to the cheerleader. 

I'll be down

EDIT: Maybe, let me look at my schedule. When are you thinking about doing this?

Oh, I was mostly joking, sorry.

As much fun as it would be, I'm not confident that I'd really have the time to keep at it consistently.

You should do a rewatch podcast if only to make fun of the part where they play Heavenly Sword.

They just very prominently play it in an obvious product placement bit.