ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

But tonally it doesn't gel well with the series and it throws up more questions while offering no answers of note. You have to be able to get past that.

You make it sound pretty compelling to watch, so I'm sure I'll get around to it.

Yeah, the blu rays are expensive but completely worth it if you can manage. The quality is just so fantastic and the packaging is really great. 

Thanks for the recommendation!  Remasters of older content are always so hit and miss on how much they are worth it, it's good to hear that you think they are worth it.  I'll just keep an eye on the price for a bit. 

BIRDMAN COMES OUT NEXT WEEK!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!

According to the film's cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, the camerawork and editing of Birdman were manipulated to give the appearance that the film is one continuous long take.

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/is-birdman-a-one-shot-magic-trick-that-could-win-emmanuel-lubezki-his-second-oscar-in-a-row

There was definitely buzz in Australia for Kath and Kim. It was quite well-known. (Partly, I think, because it felt a bit like a TV series version of The Castle, which sounds like you'd enjoy.)

I am really enjoying Shaun Micallef's Mad as Hell, which is a bit like The Daily Show if it were run by a demented Australian. Here is a hypothetical on euthanasia:

And here is Shaun being gracious towards his better-funded superiors:

Ahh! I am so dense! I haven't used a message board since...actually I have really never used a message board:/ completely skipped that part of the internet experience until now. So I apologize-I don't know how to 'quote.''

Wanted to thank you merus-I am loving the 'mad as hell' clip! Really want to see 'the castle' too-everything I have read about the film seems like it would be something I'd enjoy.

By any chance have you seen 'strangers with candy?' It's one of my all time favorites (the tv show-the movie was a stinker)...jerri blank is such a genius character. So high concept and bizarre. It was also one of Stephen Colbert's early projects. Haven't heard from him much after though. I thought he was a real talent:)

I guess you're not like me because you can paint it only took me one episode to decide I didn't like it.

I liked misfits, but don't watch it past the 2nd season.

In other news, Myst is going to have a TV show. Whut. 

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/myst-brings-mystery-to-the-small-screen-in-upcomin.html

I guess it could work? Myst isn't really about the characters, just the world (from what I remember of the first game, which is the only one I played). Still, this and Tetris: The movie announced in the same week? Weird.

EDIT:

“Cyan’s goal in working with Legendary is not just to create a compelling TV drama but to develop a true transmedia product that will include a companion Video game that extends the story across both media,”

Oh dear. Well this is going to end horribly.

How far in are you Blambo? If you're anything like me, you won't like it for that long.

I'm three episodes into the second series and it's starting hurt to watch it. The first series was pretty good and kind of explored the consequences of certain powers but eh. Things started to devolve into TV plotland pretty quickly.

Nice the latest Doctor Who opened with a cover of the best Queen song!

CORRECT.

(Also by "opened up with" I mean a few minutes in.)

The Boxtrolls is pretty great, you guys! A big fat freakshow, at times downright disturbing and gross, so pretty much everything you'd want from a stop motion feature.

I don't really want to support Laika because of all of the bad reviews showing up on Glassdoor. Even if they make good features, it sounds like one of the saddest animation companies to work for now: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Laika-Inc-Reviews-E221728.htm

I guess when your dad owns Nike though, you can do anything.

Also I saw Gone Girl, but the plausibility of the story annoyed the shit out of me starting with

Desi's murder. Amy was still somewhat sympathetic up until that part, which I liked, to have both of these characters on the side of this fucked up situation remain redeemable. But to suddenly make it clear Amy is a psychopath is obnoxious to me and seems way too easy. It also doesn't make sense why she would cry after being robbed if she truly is a psychopath.

Oh well, well directed, I wanted to know what was going to happen next at least.

I heard that after banking so hard on the LGBT goodwill that Laika had built up with the openly gay character in Paranorman and the gay couples in the first teaser trailer, The Boxtrolls really disappointingly veers into some potentially really insulting territory with a crossdressing villain who serves as the butt of a lot of jokes. I was excited by that first trailer and I loved their last two films, but I'm not comfortable with that shit.

I heard that after banking so hard on the LGBT goodwill that Laika had built up with the openly gay character in Paranorman and the gay couples in the first teaser trailer, The Boxtrolls really disappointingly veers into some potentially really insulting territory with a crossdressing villain who serves as the butt of a lot of jokes. I was excited by that first trailer and I loved their last two films, but I'm not comfortable with that shit.

Really? Man, that fucking sucks...

At least I have Ernest & Celestine, Rocks in My Pockets, Wrinkles, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, Letter to Momo, & The Song of the Sea

Yeah, Boxtrolls basically has the old style cartoon crossdressing and it's just played for laughs, including a character reacting with mild disgust that they were previously attracted to the crossdresser. It's quite disappointing as a choice in this and because it strengthens my concern that the ending bit to Paranorman was more about the joke than an actual social motivation.

Aside from that, Boxtrolls is pretty fun and nicely written with good laughs. Better than Coraline but not reaching the heights of Paranorman.

Also I hope you saw the after credits sequence.

<3 that Ayoade dance sequence.

In other viewing news, I started watching a bit of Downton Abbey and every time the music swells they do a scene transition in a really jarring part of the song.

It pains me so muchhh.

Better than Coraline, you say? I didn't care for Paranorman, though, it felt very American in a way I don't think it realised it was.

This second season of Masters of Sex is really good, its probably the best thing i'm watching at the moment. Great performances from the leads. Everyone's a psychological and emotional mess, it's really rewarding after spending so much time with the characters, being privy to all their insecurities and watching them bounce off each other. Daddy issues and then some

You should watch it with your eyeballs

Better than Coraline, you say? I didn't care for Paranorman, though, it felt very American in a way I don't think it realised it was.

I say this as someone that thought Coraline lagged in the middle with pacing and the ending didn't really win me back, so I didn't like it that much. Which is a shame cause it started strong and was a really good premise.

Yeah, Boxtrolls basically has the old style cartoon crossdressing and it's just played for laughs, including a character reacting with mild disgust that they were previously attracted to the crossdresser. It's quite disappointing as a choice in this and because it strengthens my concern that the ending bit to Paranorman was more about the joke than an actual social motivation..

goddamn it. Also, that's the feeling I got about Paranorman: more of a jokey take, "Hey look, he's gay! Gotcha!" than any actual social commentary or standing.

goddamn it. Also, that's the feeling I got about Paranorman: more of a jokey take, "Hey look, he's gay! Gotcha!" than any actual social commentary or standing.

Yeah this is actually exactly how I felt too.