ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

While I enjoy sic-fi I generally watch either comedy or, on the other end of the spectrum, really depressing stuff. For comedy, though there are a few incredible Australian shows on iTunes that I haven't heard much about in terms of buzz etc.

'Please like me' is such a surprising, piss your pants funny comedy. It deals with 'tough' topics with a really light touch. It can get dark, but it doesn't feel like it's for shock value.

'Kath and kim' is another incredible Aussie show-a really sweet, strange, funny as hell show that is worth taking a look at.

My fav u.s. comedies right now are 'broad city' and 'veep' fucking love these shows!

This week's Doctor Who was quite something, deeply flawed and exceptional at the same time. “Kill the Moon”, as the episode is called, goes into depths of character drama between companion and The Doctor that the show has priorly shied away from. If this is a sign of the direction the show will continue to pursue in the future, then I’m very happy. By now Clara feels like the most human and fully formed companion the show has ever had, which is quite the turnaround from her superficial portrayal in series 7!
That the episode conveniently waves away any serious consequences that you would expect to result from Clara’s decision is its biggest flaw. There are many smaller ones, too. The end scene in the Tardis is exceptional though and something we haven’t seen quite like in the show before.

Actually, the Doctor abandoning a companion in the manner he did this saturday is also something we haven’t seen before

The A.V. Club features a wonderful writeup about the episode.

While I enjoy sic-fi I generally watch either comedy or, on the other end of the spectrum, really depressing stuff. For comedy, though there are a few incredible Australian shows on iTunes that I haven't heard much about in terms of buzz etc.

'Please like me' is such a surprising, piss your pants funny comedy. It deals with 'tough' topics with a really light touch. It can get dark, but it doesn't feel like it's for shock value.

'Kath and kim' is another incredible Aussie show-a really sweet, strange, funny as hell show that is worth taking a look at.

There was definitely buzz in Australia for Kath and Kim. It was quite well-known. (Partly, I think, because it felt a bit like a TV series version of The Castle, which sounds like you'd enjoy.)

I am really enjoying Shaun Micallef's Mad as Hell, which is a bit like The Daily Show if it were run by a demented Australian. Here is a hypothetical on euthanasia:

And here is Shaun being gracious towards his better-funded superiors:

Bought The Rover today

One of the best films of '14.

Yeah The Rover is pretty alright. I liked the performances (Pearce, especially) and the direction, but it felt a little needlessly nihilistic. 

Also, I watch way to many movies so I'm just going to throw out whatever I've seen recently every now and again (if they're at all worth watching).

Gone Girl (My Spoiler Free Review)
Summary: Both critical and visceral, sort of adds to Fincher's growing filmography of psychopaths and such. I imagine more people will like this than those who liked Zodiac or Dragon Tattoo, so if you liked either of those you'll probably like this. Also,

(not by me).

The Drop (My Spoiler Free Review)

Summary: Very stylish American debut from the oscar nominated Michael R Roskam. Stars two top of their game performances from Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini, and there is a lot more to this movie than most people will pick up on. So far my favourite movie of 2014 (of the 40 or so I've seen)

Night Moves (My Spoiler Free Review)
Summary: Quiet and tense. Beautiful cinematgraphy, tension-filled direction, and a couple of strong performances (Eisenberg, especially) but not much else.

Also my review for The Rover if anyone is interested.

I'll post a review for pretty much any movie I watch over on Letterboxd but I'll try not to spam this thread too often if I can resist the urge.

I saw Gone Girl yesterday. It was like David Fincher dared himself to make a really expertly-crafted Lifetime Original Movie. The more I've thought about it today, the more I've soured on it. 

I saw Gone Girl yesterday. It was like David Fincher dared himself to make a really expertly-crafted Lifetime Original Movie. The more I've thought about it today, the more I've soured on it. 

For as much as I enjoyed Gone Girl I fully understand that argument. The script is surreal and if it weren't handled by such an impressive director it would have bordered on hokey, in fact that's how I (to unpopular reception) felt about Gone Baby Gone by Ben Affleck. In fact I actually think the two movies have a lot in common, but Fincher really shows how mature he is with Gone Girl, where Affleck could only show promise. 

I didn't realize that was out. I recently realized there was an AMC nearby and I might be able to go to the local AMC and manage buying a $6.50 senior citizen ticket soon at the kiosk. They never check.

I agree with you Ozzie, it was a fun episode. Less time-warpy, more about a real human decision.

When the Doctor starts telling them the future of humanity because of this decision, I got legit goosebumps.

On another topic. If you have the stomach for J-drama and have the remotest knowledge of manga/anime, you might seriously enjoy Aoi Honoo / Blue Blazes. It features the sort of physical comedy and facepulling that western comedy has shied away from and is filled with hilarious retro references to cassette decks and Captain Harlock. Expect many things like this:

tumblr_nazq8mvo8B1rm4wgqo10_500.jpg

tumblr_n9y6oxdG3t1ql41ypo3_500.gif

Yeah The Rover is pretty alright. I liked the performances (Pearce, especially) and the direction, but it felt a little needlessly nihilistic. 

The Drop (My Spoiler Free Review)

Summary: Very stylish American debut from the oscar nominated Michael R Roskam. Stars two top of their game performances from Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini, and there is a lot more to this movie than most people will pick up on. So far my favourite movie of 2014 (of the 40 or so I've seen)

Night Moves (My Spoiler Free Review)

Summary: Quiet and tense. Beautiful cinematography, tension-filled direction, and a couple of strong performances (Eisenberg, especially) but not much else.

Maybe. I didn't feel it was needlessly nihilistic because it matched the environment the character were in. I was able to accept that nihilism because Michôd was able to build the world and the characters in which such a way that that state of mind is the only way you're going to survive in the world; I think Michôd earned that level of nihilism in his film.

Also, Pearce's performance was electrifying; it reminded me a bit of Barry Newman's performance on Vanishing Point, and Gene Hackman's performance on The Conversation: these three men dealing with a terrible existential crisis, but it's all inside and we can never know the full truth of it; they use their entire bodies to show it, but they never overdo it; they're walking a very thin line between gaining control and completely losing it. This character study--and this is a great character study movie than plot or an arc--was brought alive by Pearce. When you see Pearce and the anguish and anger he has inside, it's devastating to watch him try to keep it inside; he's like a boiling pot that you don't want to get close to because you never know when it's going to explode and hurt everyone around him. This back-and-forth comes to a point when

Pearce is arrested and he just lets out all the terrible shit he's done and happen to him. This is a big moment in the film, in which he opens up. He's wondering how, with all this nihilism around him, the cop is able to live. He's trying to figure things out, trying to see how this person survived. It's really sad because Pearce is smarter than everyone around him, and when he opens up, the people don't understand, and he can't get an answers

Another thing that grabbed me about The Rover was how elemental, bare-bones the plot was: Guy get's his car stolen, he needs to get it back; I love very elemental films like that. I think because it allows more focus on the characters and it gives Michôd and us more space to explore the characters and their world.

There's a shit-ton more I love about this film, but those are the few that stood out for me.

The Drop was fantastic! I have a feeling that Roskam is only going to get better as he progresses with his career. 

I remember watching Bullhead and having it knock me on my ass: the beautiful cinematography, the on-the-edge physical performance of Matthias Schoenaerts in which you never know when he's going to lose it, the juxtaposing between the steroid driven industrial cattle farm with the lush Belgium landscape, and the feeling of being trapped and no matter what you do, you're fucked and you're going to fail. 

IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!  New Twin Peaks, picking up 25 years after the original intended, with as much of the original cast as possible.

?!?!?!?!?!?!

I hate it when I spot autocorrect errors in a quote. *ended, not intended*

IT'S REALLY HAPPENING! New Twin Peaks, picking up 25 years after the original ended, with as much of the original cast as possible.

I feel like there is a really big chance that it doesn't work at all, but I liked the Twin Peaks episode of Psych with all the cast members so I don't know, I guess I reserve a little hope and will watch it regardless.

It seems, to me, like there is so much fondness and playfulness amongst the original cast and creators for revisiting TP, that even if it turns out poorly, it will still probably be entertaining to watch and not dreadfully painful. That's what I'm pinning my hopes on.

I agree with Bjorn. There's a good chance this won't be any good, but there's an equally good chance that it will contain something interesting and worthwhile. An older cast is fertile grounds for Lynch to grow his absurdity on. (Honestly, I have a hard time imagining it will be outright bad, but I also enjoy the (flawed) Fire Walk with Me movie, so maybe my opinion isn't to be trusted.)

Yeah, what both of you just said is exactly how I feel and what I was trying to get at by saying it might not work rather than it might not be entertaining. I think it'll be entertaining to watch no matter what.

Maybe. I didn't feel it was needlessly nihilistic because it matched the environment the character were in. I was able to accept that nihilism because Michôd was able to build the world and the characters in which such a way that that state of mind is the only way you're going to survive in the world; I think Michôd earned that level of nihilism in his film.

There's a shit-ton more I love about this film, but those are the few that stood out for me.

It's definitely a fair opinion to have. I enjoyed The Rover a lot while watching it, but really beyond Pearce's performance I haven't felt the need to consider the film making in anyway. I'm definitly going to keep a close eye on Michod going forward (I'm watching Animal Kingdom tonight actually) but he really hasn't shown me the same promise someone like Roskam did with Bullhead or The Drop; both of which I highly regard.

Because of the announcement of the third season of Twin Peaks, I was in the mood for the series again today. So I started watching some episodes of the first season.

Special Agent Cooper seems to me to be less an aspirational character now than when I watched it the last time. He's quite self-righteous and not always incredibly enlightened I would say, though I still love it how commands authority. I think a lot of the most fascinating scenes are between child and father, like in the case of Bobby, Audry, and in the prequel movie of Laura.

So, Fire Walk with Me...is there any version of the movie that has the black lodge scenes subtitled? Because I can barely make out a word that's said. There's also the scene where the child with the mask whispers something to Laura that's hard to understand, and that isn't subtitled in the version I have either! For most of the easily understandable dialogue subtitles can be turned on, though. What a joke... I'm watching the movie for the third time now and I still haven't a clue what's being said in the black lodge scene after the David Bowie character appears!

Despite this frustration that let me hunt in vain for some help on the internet, I like the endless mysteries the movie provides. Lynch is really good with mysteries. I kinda am in a mood for more mysteries in that vain. Any recommendations?

Edit: I found the shooting script of Fire Walk With Me online. Kinda frustrating that I had to pause to movie to look up the script to figure out what's being said. Meh... :/

I know double posting is bad forum etiquette, but I simply need to say more about Fire Walk with Me. :P

What struck me about it is that during many of its scenes you have the feeling that nothing happens outside of the camera frame. Like in the scenes inside the school, you don't have the feeling that anyone is somewhere in the hall or in the classroom. Bobby and Laura talk at a locker and no one else seems to be there, or Laura walks down a street and the town seems devoid of people. The movie often does a bad job of suggesting that anything else happens outside of the frame. As a viewer I at least was often aware that they shot on a set and where its limits were. It felt distracting.

I think part of the reason for this is that establishing shots are often missing. Some scenes are entirely static without cuts or change of perspective. This may not be entirely unintentional, and not always a bad choice, but not always a good one either.

I also watched The Missing Pieces, the collection of deleted/extended/alternately cut scenes from the movie, which is one and a half hours long. I'm not sure why they put that together instead of releasing a Director's Cut of the movie, because putting some of those scenes back in would have definitely made the movie a lot better. Not all of the scenes are much of relevance or compelling, but highlights include a scene in which the FBI agent convinces the local authorities to hand Theresa Bank's body over to him by punching the sheriff repeatedly in the face, others which shed more light on the character played by David Bowie, a continuation of the sequence of Laura's and Donna's night out and an argument Josey and Pete have at the sawmill with an old guy over a plank of wood. There are also extensions/alternate takes of the convenience store scene and the scene in the black lodge, which wouldn't really fit into the movie though. Thankfully they're subtitled, so you're finally able to understand what Bob & Co. are babbling about. Well, the words at least, not their meaning necessarily... ;)

I'm a terrible Twin Peaks fan and have never actually watched Fire Walk With Me.  I've watched the original series twice (once when it aired and once again on DVD a few years ago), but I've always been hesitant to watch FWWM, as I always hear such mixed things about it. 

And holy shit is the blu-ray collection expensive.  Going for about $90 right now on Amazon and eBay (looks like the price jumped up about $10ish with the announcement of the new season, hopefully it drops back down soon). 

I actually watched the movie before I ever saw the series! Back then I thought I would be able to understand it once I saw the series. Oh, how naive I was...

The movie is immensely frustrating. If you're looking for answers, then it's not the place to go to. There was meant to be a scene in the movie which would have made clear what was already abundantly clear at the end of season 2, namely what happened with Dale Cooper. There's no further development to that plotline either. Instead the movie recounts Laura Palmer's last seven days alive and sheds light on the life and death of Theresa Banks and the investigations of her murder. All this is often very interesting, but not really what a fan might care about the most after having watched season 2. Instead of answers the viewer is offered only more questions. Also, the film differs significantly in terms of tone to the series. There's a lot less humor and a lot less life. It feels off.

Despite all that, the movie has a lot to offer. I enjoyed watching it again. There are many memorable scenes, like the one where the David Bowie character appears, which is intercut with the scene in the place above the convenience store...I never could figure out what was happening there, but it stuck in my mind, it's overwhelming and chilling. The scene where Mike drives by and yells at Leeland and Laura in the car. The night where Donna finds out what Laura's night life looks like. The scene where Laura psychotically laughs in the face of what Bobby did, the scene where Laura finds out who Bob is...so many memorable, chilling scenes.

But tonally it doesn't gel well with the series and it throws up more questions while offering no answers of note. You have to be able to get past that.

I'm a terrible Twin Peaks fan and have never actually watched Fire Walk With Me.  I've watched the original series twice (once when it aired and once again on DVD a few years ago), but I've always been hesitant to watch FWWM, as I always hear such mixed things about it. 

And holy shit is the blu-ray collection expensive.  Going for about $90 right now on Amazon and eBay (looks like the price jumped up about $10ish with the announcement of the new season, hopefully it drops back down soon). 

Yeah, the blu rays are expensive but completely worth it if you can manage. The quality is just so fantastic and the packaging is really great.