ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Everyone needs to watch this movie. This is a fucking good movie.

He also donated like a million dollars to the Reading Rainbow revival.

Yeah I was just about to say this. I don't watch any of his shows, but I'm fine with him if he helps bring back things that I like.

on the upside he brought Cosmos back...that may be the only upside

Yeah I was just about to say this. I don't watch any of his shows, but I'm fine with him if he helps bring back things that I like.

I think we've confirmed that shitty people can like good things, I guess.

So I don't know if anyone caught this, but there's leaked Deadpool footage knocking around the internet, and oh boy it's flipping sweet. I don't usually care for superheroes, but Deadpool is just the right level of crazy without feeling too forced or trying too hard to be 'hilarious' like a certain raccoon in a certain recent film (which I certainly haven't seen)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22eged_deadpool-test-footage-in-hd_video games

I actually can't stand Deadpool.  He's like okay in small doses and as a supporting character he can be enjoyable, but every time I try and read something where he's the main focus I end up hating it.  I really tried to like the original ongoing from the late 90's but he was just too much (and I normally really like Joe Kelly).  Maybe the movie will be different though.

Deadpool is really hit or miss for me.  When he's funny, I think he's hilarious.  When he's not, it's super awkward and painful to see.  I agree with Baron though, he makes a better supporting character than a main one.  His shenanigans are only amusing in contrast, they don't stand very well on their own.

I have no interest in the Marvel/DC universe, so for me the rest of the universe is like bit-parts to Deadpool. This probably makes me the worst. I do admit that when deadpool fails it fails pretty badly.

I really liked the Deadpool Killogy though. Not because it was funny, but because it was dark and serious in a way I wasn't expecting. I didn't laugh at all reading them, just enjoyed a well-told story.

Deadpool annoys the hell out of me. He just feels like he's trying too hard to be "random" (in the obnoxious teenager use of the term) at all times. I worked with a guy who thought that Deadpool was the height of comedy and just couldn't for the life of me see what was appealing about it. Breaking the fourth wall is not a joke in and of itself, goddamn it. There needs to be a point to it. Get off my lawn.

Deadpool annoys the hell out of me. He just feels like he's trying too hard to be "random" (in the obnoxious teenager use of the term) at all times. I worked with a guy who thought that Deadpool was the height of comedy and just couldn't for the life of me see what was appealing about it. Breaking the fourth wall is not a joke in and of itself, goddamn it. There needs to be a point to it. Get off my lawn.

I feel like the attraction of Deadpool to many comic fans is that he reflects how they'd act (or how they think they'd act) if they were in a comic themselves, complete with their own rule-breaking knowledge of how comics work. It's almost like idealized self-insertion played for laughs.

Yesterday I removed a short post where I wrote that Deadpool is to me the epitome of 'trying too hard', like a badly done Ace Ventura, he's the ultimate expression of 'laugh or I'll shoot' random referential humor, but I didn't want to draw too much attention to the character. Now that I see I'm on the winning team, things are totally different. Everyone wants to belong.

I have a friend who loves superhero comics. I love telling him how stupid superheroes are in general. He always counters with, "You'd love Deadpool!"

Superhero fans in a nutshell.

New episodes of Gravity Falls, the secret best show on TV, start August 1st!

!!!

It is definitely the secret best show on TV. You talking about it got me into it. It's so good! I had no idea it was starting tomorrow. I'm stoked.

too forced or trying too hard to be 'hilarious' like a certain raccoon in a certain recent film (which I certainly haven't seen)

Just saw Guardians Of The Galaxy, and I'd say the whole film is like that. A big mess of bluster and noise, that thinks saying "a-hole" is the height of hilarity, with far far too many characters and far far too little characterisation.

Just saw Guardians Of The Galaxy, and I'd say the whole film is like that. A big mess of bluster and noise, that thinks saying "a-hole" is the height of hilarity, with far far too many characters and far far too little characterisation.

That movie is the fast and the furious 4.5 in space which means it's a half-step away from the best idea for an action/heist movie - the fast and the furious in space which Vin Disel needs to start working on with the next Riddick film.

I started watching DuckTales and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. It's as good if not better than I remember it from when I used to watch this as a kid whenever I would visit my grandparents.

Ducktales starts really strong but a pretty massive chunk of the show is kind of sort of crappy.

I dunno guys, I really liked Guardians of the Galaxy, and I think it had a lot more in its bag than 'someone said a-hole'. There's a bunch of jokes I really enjoyed that didn't feel forced or 'wacky' or crude, and still served to develop the characters, and it's got a real devotion to undercutting its big moments that is really endearing. If you go in expecting a science fantasy comedy I think it'll work much better for you than if you're expecting anything remotely serious.

I don't know why you keep going to see these movies, Ben, I remember you didn't like Captain America 2 either.