ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Yeah this is just further cementing that I need to marathon all this dumbness with some like-minded friends. Maybe even the TV series, but... only if it's like really short. Which... *consults Google*... 13 episodes. I think that's doable, though if it's really bad we could drop it.

Tremors is a fantastic movie, obv, and I also enjoyed the first two sequels. I thought they were solid fun, and they continued the feel of the first movie well. Tremors 4 was a fun idea but a bit clumsy and under-budgeted. I haven't watched the series, but Dan watched the 2nd episode and said that one at least was very enjoyable.

A bunch of movies that I've watched and mostly liked.

Some recent movies that I comfortably recommend. I was surprised how much humor the The Magician & the Seventh Seal had, they looked so grim.

Volver

The Magician

The Seventh Seal

Frankenstein

The Bride of Frankenstein

Wild Strawberries (1957)

When I saw these, they immediately became among my favorite movies, I've seen both of them several times since the first time I saw them 6 months ago, which is extremely rare for me:

The Spirit of the Beehive

Cria Cuervos

Difficult to recommend, but I ultimately enjoyed them:

3 Women

Picnic At Hanging Rock

So they revealed Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman for Superman V. Batman: Dawn of Stupid Movie Title. Ignoring the heels, I guess it's an alright costume? I wish this movie was in colour though. That would be a nice feature for movies to have had since the 1930s.

RvyrTo0.jpg

That is not a shot that I look at and think, 'yes, this is going to be a fun or smart movie'.

Oh, so did everyone see the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover episode they're doing? It's the best! Bart and the Family Guy baby were doing prank calls to Moe, and the baby was like "Moe, your sister's being raped!" Too funny! Can't believe I stopped watching those shows!

Why does it sound like some dude is orgasming over that trailer?  It's two dudes staring at each other in the dark. 

Also, if you didn't tell me that was Wonder Woman, I never would have guessed that.  Looks like generic female fantasy armor. 

Oh, so did everyone see the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover episode they're doing? It's the best! Bart and the Family Guy baby were doing prank calls to Moe, and the baby was like "Moe, your sister's being raped!" Too funny! Can't believe I stopped watching those shows!

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME! I honestly don't know why I stopped watching Family Guy, when obviously it has consistently gotten better and funnier with every season.  :fart:

So I went back and re-watched a film known as The Woman in the UK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714208/?ref_=nm_knf_i1

Deeply disturbing, weird film that I think I really like despite some missteps. Sean Bridger is an acting god for is role as the Patriach in this film

I am disappointed the title was not "The Woman in the UK".

I am disappointed the title was not "The Woman in the UK".

Hahah, yeah I really should have used inverted commas

Yesterday night Dutch television aired a film I didn't yet know, but that was so powerful I kept watching until two. It was Un Prophète. A beautifully constructed, quiet prison drama about an Arab teen going for a six year stint and juggling his loyalties between a Sicilian gang and his 'own' brothers. Engrossing, realistic, silent and French. Well worth it.

Well the fact that the animation styles and drawings of the characters don't clash in that shitty crossover should be evidence enough on how terrible the animation has become on the Simpsons over the past 15 years.

Oh god, I didn't think that Simpson's/FG crossover could really be that bad.  But then I watched it.  It looks like a disaster. 

I just rewatched the first Patrick McGoohan episode of Columbo last night (the one at the military academy). Man I forgot how great that episode was.

I made it to Stewie's crank call then thought "I don't need to see any more of this. I could waste those two extra minutes of life on some other, less offensive internet bullshit that has nothing to do with Seth McFarlane".

His name is one of very few that really turns me away from stuff nowadays.

His name is one of very few that really turns me away from stuff nowadays.

Why is that? I didn't know the name, just googled him and while I don't like Family Guy (from the little I've seen), seems he worked on things I liked in my early twenties at least (Cow & Chicken etc.)

Well, there was Family Guy becoming simultaneously less funny, more offensive, and more derivative (or maybe it was always this bad and I became a less shitty person). Then there were a bunch of public appearances at which Seth revealed that yes, he's actually like that and loves to make jokes that punch down at people. He seems like a total asshole, the kind who, if I meet them in games, I never work with again.

Edit: I try to keep in mind that anyone I idolise will have flaws, all high profile figures are in some way disappointments, and the originators of any work I enjoy will probably have some views I disagree with, but McFarlane just seems like a total arsehole through and through. He might have done good stuff in the past, but I definitely can't stomach him or his greasy shitball work anymore. It largely seems to be "Haha! Victim being victimised!", in which all possible Tom and Jerry-esque aspects have been stripped out in favour of showing or referring to actual types of people who actually get victimised.