ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I didn't get that one, either!

JonCole: I actually did that for the first season because I was really curious. I don't think there was any benefit to recreating the series for Americans. But apparently the American version stayed good longer? I dunno. I didn't find it all that great so I stopped watching it.

I found the American version unbearable.  Tried to watch one episode and couldn't even get through it. 

I loved the British version, but dropped out early in the fourth season.  What I liked was the chemistry between the 3 leads, and once 2 of them left the show I just didn't care about it anymore.

Yeah, I super enjoyed the British version and found the American version repellent in the first season. Once I heard that the some and then all of the leads left the British version, I stopped catching up on the backlog because my hopes for the series were already sabotaged by the news. At the same time, I heard tons of nerd outcry when Being Human US was being cancelled so I guess the tables turned at some point.

It's kind of hard to watch the 1933 version of King Kong now; not because of the effects, but because of how explicitly racist and sexist it is. Eesh.

I have to give credit to the British version of Being Human for trying to tell a story that I really didn't expect as they moved from the third to fourth seasons.  Intellectually, I was interested in what they were doing.  I just lost all emotional attachment to the show.  If you didn't make it to the end of the third season, I think it's worth watching that far, then just pretend it got canceled or something. 

I'm not sure which series, but I lost interest in Being Human when it became about

a race war between different flavours of the undead. The older I get, the more gratuitous that kind of sociological scale seems in TV. It's not even a cheap trick to increase drama, because it often doesn't.

I watched the monkey film last night. Really good! I got like proper chucked up on multiple occasions :) and I actually started think during one of the scene would it be pulled on my emotions at much if this was an actual human father and son? But actually I give full credit to the performances, my emotions were clearly influenced by all the acting and that had gone before

Oh, I'm curious now if Andy Sircus did the acting/mocap for koba as well? Now I think about it it's unlikely

Oh wow, koba was Toby Kebbell

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1527905/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

Holy shit he's going to be doctor doom :)

Hmmm.. I'm a big Nick Cave fan but somehow I have missed 20,000 Days on Earth completely. Looks very interesting:

http://www.20000daysonearth.com/

I hope it will find its way to Finnish theaters as well.

Ooh, national release in Australia! Convenient.

So here's a bit of 90s Australia: Frontline, which is now officially up on YouTube because literally everyone in Australia except for TV station owners understands internet video now. 

Frontline's a satirical look behind a trashy 'current affairs' program, with the usual brief of celebrity puff pieces, shonky tradespeople, terrible reporting, chequebook journalism, titillation in the name of reporting, completely irresponsible takes on the day's news, terrible reporting, bullying interviews, hit pieces on other stations' tentpole shows, and terrible reporting. It was fairly directly inspired by Drop the Dead Donkey, although because it was more about terrible journalism than about the news of the week, and terrible journalism is eternal, it aged much better than Drop the Dead Donkey did. Sadly, it is still relevant - The Desert Angel plays out every few years in America, I'm pretty sure - although the 'celebrities' are pretty dated at this point and likely won't make sense to non-Australian viewers (which might make the joke even funnier, really). It is on the school curriculum in Australia, so its immortality is basically assured.

So I guess ABC has a game show that's copying the format of Takeshi's Castle/MXC called Wipeout. I'd never heard of it before, not sure how popular it is, but my friend that I've known since elementary school was on it and won. Watching a game show with someone you know on it is the most absurd thing ever. I had another friend who was on some dating show called Perfect Score and also won, and that was also really weird to watch. They were both basically playing characters, like for my friend on Wipeout they had a really strong emphasis on the fact that he's a male who makes a living crocheting things and selling them on Etsy and it became his "thing".

Sooo weird

http://www.hulu.com/watch/663626

Wipeout's been around for a while (six years according to Wikipedia) but I know what you mean about seeing someone you know.  A girl I went to high school with was on Survivor: Fiji (Michelle Yi).  It was very weird because I mostly remember her as being pretty quiet and soft spoken but then to see her on TV was incredibly bizarre.

Excellent. The world needs more Tremors movies.

I have my doubts about a Tremors remake. Then again, the world needs more Tremors movies.

We have a Bacon flavored Tremors ... what more can we want?

Do we have Tremors flavored Bacon, though?

I feel like I need to do a Tremors marathon sometime soon. Need to find some friends willing to do it with me.

I've seen the first one a half dozen times, but I don't think I've ever seen the direct-to-video sequels (maybe the second one, or part of it, on TV years ago).  There was also a TV show I know nothing about. 

Yeah I've also never seen all of any of the sequels. I'm sure they're awful. I've... seen the first one more than half a dozen times. Way more, I'm sure. Well over a dozen. It was a popular movie at my summer babysitter's when I was a kid, especially once she gave up on standing in front of the TV and muting the TV when there was something exceptionally violent or rude happening.

I've seen the first one a half dozen times, but I don't think I've ever seen the direct-to-video sequels (maybe the second one, or part of it, on TV years ago).  There was also a TV show I know nothing about. 

Yeah I've also never seen all of any of the sequels. I'm sure they're awful. I've... seen the first one more than half a dozen times. Way more, I'm sure. Well over a dozen. It was a popular movie at my summer babysitter's when I was a kid, especially once she gave up on standing in front of the TV and muting the TV when there was something exceptionally violent or rude happening.

None of the sequel movies are really good. The writers double down on the conviction that the weirdness of the graboids is what keeps people coming back, so they add more and more dumb stuff about how they breed and evolve, which isn't helped by the constantly shifting cast of people they can get to come back for each sequel. There're no real constants between the movies besides the concept of things underground, the poorly-realized American West setting, and the title.

I actually liked the 4th one, relatively speaking.  The second is dumb and the third is even dumber.  The third film introduced a new form of the creature called, I shit you not, Ass Blasters.  They're capable of flight by igniting their own farts.  It also served as the setup for the TV series, which was just as dumb if not dumber.  The 4th one is a prequel movie that stars the gun nut's great-grandfather or something (played by the same actor naturally).  I remember thinking at the time that it was more entertaining than the previous two, but it's not exactly hard to accomplish.