ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I've heard stories about how if you go to movies in the right part of Los Angeles, you'll hear cheers from members of the audience during the small print credits. It matters to someone.

Yep! No matter how little regular movie goers care, it does matter to the person in the credits.

But fair enough, if Stan Lee doesn't make any money off these films then fine.. he can have his old man opinions.

Well I guess I should clarify that I meant as a person who works in media I didn't think many people cared about the credits. I feel like actually having my work appreciated or acknowledged in person matters more than getting my name on the screen. But I guess I haven't gone to that many screenings where the people who made the thing were all there.

Yeah okay "sucked" is a strong word, but it definitely had issues. the first two and a half (or was it three and a half? I can never remember) seasons were almost nothing BUT moment-to-moment as the survivors struggled to survive and lived in constant fear, knowing nothing about anything, and that's when it was at its best. After it introduced all the island mythology and the other factions... Well, that's when it got less good. It didn't suck, sure, but it did significantly drop in quality, and that will always sour my overall opinion of things.

For me, the moment-to-moment of Lost could be interesting with the survivalism, etc. but it was usually bogged down by the interpersonal relationships between the survivors.  Plus I didn't like any of them!  Maybe the dog.  Walt had the right idea getting the heck off that island and away from his whiny dad.  The backstories were excruciating for me from the get-go.  The more they happened, the less I liked everyone.

Lost was ultimately very disappointing for me in the big picture mystery as well, but that was a descent rather than starting at zero.  The exploration and mystery of the island unfolded nicely for the first few seasons, but, yeah...  fell apart after awhile.

The reason I brought this up regarding the Leftovers:  I'm not super enthused about the characters and the moment-to-moment drama so far, but the hook of the mystery seems like it has potential for interesting plot points/world building.  But because I had a similar disinterest in Lost's characters and their dramas, I don't want to get burned again by following a long-tail promise.

So I watched the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.I have no idea how such a bland, crummy movie is held in such high regard (96% on Rotten Tomatoes!). Even Jeff Goldblum's character managed to be boring.

Hah, saw Snowpiercer today too.

Some thoughts on it:

Snowpiercer did to axes and spears hitting bodies to what The Rover did with gunshots and headshots as in that those movies made those sounds fucking terrifying, loud and made you feel fucking disgusted listening to them. Ugh, I fucking love it.

This may be Bong Joon-ho's meanest and darkest film; even with the hopeful music at the end, I still don't think it'll turn out good. 

Kill. Fucking. Everyone. YES! The one thing that caught me off guard was how expendable everyone was and how they could die at any, ANY second. It was very mercenary with it's characters lives to the point where you could argue it went into the realm of pure nihilism.

The cinematography is fucking beautiful! and I'm so glad someone decided to use winter light. What a lot of people don't know and what a lot of films don't use is winter light, it's fucking gorgeous; all one needs to see is Beyond the Hills to see how true that statement is.

Not a lot of exposition and all the world building comes from the world, drawings, and every now and then from the characters; even when we get info from the characters, it's mostly terse and told more as a remembrance than an told to us.

Chris Evans fucking killed it!

The battle set piece is a cinematic fucking wonder especially when it goes into 

night vision mode.

So I watched the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.I have no idea how such a bland, crummy movie is held in such high regard (96% on Rotten Tomatoes!). Even Jeff Goldblum's character managed to be boring.

Holy shit! I'm going to have to re-watch this now to make sure I disagree with you.

Have you seen any of the other movies/tv show/original story? I'm guessing you've seen and enjoyed the 50s version.

I'm not sure what everyone is seeing in Snowpiercer. I saw it in January I think and to me it was an average sci-fi movie with a ridiculous premise.

I've thought for a long time that Eve Online could make for a good human interest documentary in the style of Indie Game The Movie or Free to Play, and guess what, some people finally made it happen:  :)

I agree with Erkki on Snowpiercer. It was entertaining, but it's it.

I just watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes because I've been interested in the new one, and it's surprisingly excellent. I always thought it was supposed to be lousy for some reason; maybe because of James Franco. There's only a few small things that bugged me:

-CEO guy totally identifies Caesar as the apes' leader in the big ending sequence. Come on, man. Your brain doesn't even keep the ability to distinguish between individuals in non-human primate species for more than a few months after birth unless you train it; there's no chance you would be able to pick out one in a crowd from thirty feet away.

-minor nitpick, but apes can't use spears. One of the key reasons humans have been so successful as a species is because the ability to throw objects both for distance and accurately is completely unique to us. And that's not just a brain thing, it's also got to do with vision and anatomy. Apes just wouldn't be able to cut it.

-Love Interest has absolutely no role in the story. Literally the only purpose she serves is to have someone that James Franco can deliver exposition to. I'm not entirely sure if she's ever even named.

I always thought it was supposed to be lousy for some reason; maybe because of James Franco.

Maybe it's because of Tim Burton's mediocre Planet of the Apes, which this movie seems like a threequel to but is in fact something else and better. I don't know, I know some of my friends have been surprised that it turned out okay.

"What's wrong with me?"

"I think you're crazy."

"I want a second opinion."

"You're also lazy!"

Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius, ohhh Dr. Zaius

Utopia season two has started on Channel 4, I watched the first episode last night and the entire hour episode was broadcast in 4:3, it was beautiful, highly recommended

heres an interview about it http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/utopia/31294/utopia-series-2-director-marc-munden-qa

Is it worth catching up on season 1, then? I've barely heard of this show....

I'm confused as to why there's already an HBO remake in the works when the second season has only just started. I also don't really understand why there has to be a remake. Why can't they just air the original version in America?

I also don't know anything about Utopia, so maybe it's incredibly culture-specific in nature?

Is it worth catching up on season 1, then? I've barely heard of this show....

Yeah! It not much of a commitment, I think it was only something like 6 episodes. Unlike anything else on TV

I think it's all available on 4od for people to catch up

Where is Jessica Hyde?

Where is Jessica Hyde

I also don't know anything about Utopia, so maybe it's incredibly culture-specific in nature?

It's very British. And maybe they'd tone it down a little, there's some pretty extreme moments.

Y'all should just watch it

I'm confused as to why there's already an HBO remake in the works when the second season has only just started. I also don't really understand why there has to be a remake. Why can't they just air the original version in America?

I think the American version of Being Human went into production during Season 2 or 3 of the British version. 

If you watch the American and British versions of Being Human side by side, they feel very culturally-specific if not for any particularly good reason.