ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I'm finishing up Jackie Chan Adventures and it seems like the only logical show to move on to is Colombo. Plus, unlike a lot of old shows it's still good.

Her is the first movie I've walked out on.

I probably should not have gone to see it; I recognise it was made with skill and care, but it is so incredibly awkward that it becomes painful to watch. If I had known beforehand, I probably would have skipped it.

Made my way through the first episode of True Detective on HBO last night.  Loved it!

- Loved the way they played with chronology and questionable narrators.

- Looks so pretty.  Every little frame drop hurt so bad because I was trying to soak up all of the atmosphere.

- McConaughey's frame of reference feels pitch perfect.  Usually depressive characters tend to have a cookie-cutter philosophy, but he seems beautifully and terrifyingly complex.

I really felt transported watching it.  Nothing took me out of it. :)

edit: Thanks, Tegan!

edit: can't get my spoiler tags working, sorry!

You gotta' use [spoiler] and [/spoiler]

So there's a new trailer out for the new Godzilla movie.

I'm optimistic about this one. It's no secret that I love the original Godzilla, and it's a fascinating movie primarily because it serves as a time capsule for the place and time in which it was made. It made sense that the 1998 American version could never have captured the spirit of the original, because the original was made by a Japan only just recovering from the effects of a disaster the likes of which they had never known before and struggling to express a feeling of fear and helplessness. Only now in a post-9/11 world does it feel like America is in the place and time to do the same. Director Gareth Edwards' previous film Monsters showed just how capable of making a politically-scented horror movie he was, and the initial teaser for Godzilla , which featured audio of Oppenehimer famously quoting the Bhagavad Gita after the first atomic bomb test, immediately sold me on his ability to do the same here.

I really hope it doesn't suck.

I like the trailer, and it looks like it will be a decent movie.

The thing I'm dreading are the inevitable "Godzilla's just looking for meth!"-style jokes just because Bryan Cranston is in the movie.

EDIT: Dammit Rodi thats exactly what I'm talking about.

Malcolm's Dad versus Godzilla? I know who I'm betting on.

Walter White versus Godzilla? I know who I'm betting on.

I am the one who knocks buildings down.

This is my most favorite thing ever.

Sorry if it's inappropriate to post it in this thread!

I only peak in on this thread occasionally.  Has anyone else watched Bates Motel?  It's far from perfect, but the level of creepy it delivers is incredible. 

I'm glad this film terrified you as it did. A truly magnificent film.

Kaufman himself touted Synecdoche as his first horror film.