ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Is there a name for the thing in movies where the twist at the end starts a montague of previous scenes that are now informed by something revealed at the end; and it makes you go "He was talking to a ghost the WHOLE TIME!"

There has got to be a name for that.

I think it may be a form of tomato surprise.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TomatoSurprise

I recently made a decision to try Blu Ray rather than streaming or downloads. Tonight I'm revisiting the film that blew my 13 year old mind, Eraserhead.

Holy crap David Lynch. You have a lot to answer for :)

I saw Her earlier today, really enjoyed it a lot.

Bonus points for poking fun at games without making me cringe.

The little foulmouthed dude in that game is the stuff of Peter Molyneux's wet dreams.

The little foulmouthed dude in that game is the stuff of Peter Molyneux's wet dreams.

It was, and game was basically if Journey had voice chat.

I recently made a decision to try Blu Ray rather than streaming or downloads. Tonight I'm revisiting the film that blew my 13 year old mind, Eraserhead.

Holy crap David Lynch. You have a lot to answer for :)

Blu-Ray's been pretty fun for me, especially when the format is used wisely for neat bonus features.

I would love to do the Blu-Ray thing, but it feels soooo inefficient and wasteful.  Plus the only movie I've been tempted to watch a second time in the past two years is "Turin Horse", and mostly just cos it's beautiful and droney and unlike most conventional narrative-based things.

Oh! So there's a recommendation: Bela Tarr's Turin Horse. It's on Netflix Instant. It's as if nothing happens, but it goes so deep into so many things. I'll put them in spoilers because having the movie just happen to you is immensely pleasurable without having expectations.

- Being super poor in the country somewhere in Europe in the 1890s

- There's something primal about their actions.  By modern standards they're shut-down and depressed, but was that something that they understood? They appear in-the-moment. It's beautiful.

- The man who comes and rants at them. Can't tell if he's anachronistic... You can tell Tarr has some concerns about the way our society is structuring itself

- As poor as they are, they still implement societal restrictions. They "own" the well outside their house, which is shown by the way they scare away the gypsies who try to take some water.

- The gypsies claim that no one owns the earth, and thus curse the family, drying out their well.

- They've built their entire lives around these things that you can't count on always existing (horse, well). They know of no other way to live.

-Oof. That ending.

Also, OMG the music and the way they use it.

I became a tiny bit addicted to the Eric Andre Show last week. I normally hate things in which people act like assholes to others, but it treads a really weird line. The opening credits are always some variation on this:

Sometimes they interview celebrities, and sometimes they just have ridiculous impersonators:

They do some repellent public pranks, and (apparently) have subsequently said there's not a single one they don't regret. Such as "It's touch a stranger's hand day". They did

at Comic Con too, in which the guy interviewer seems to be an asshole and the woman way out of her depth. At one point they ignore the interviewers entirely and just ask each other questions.

I don't know why I find this funny. I think it's because they underpin the show and public stuff they do with fidgety existential angst, rather than douchey confidence.

The Act of Killing is available on US Netflix Instant now and hooooooly shit it is the craziest movie I have ever seen. It starts out interesting and just gets weirder and more affecting as it goes on. Amazing documentary, maybe my favorite that I've ever seen. If it doesn't win the Oscar this year I will riot.

The premise is Joshua Oppenheimer, the director, goes to Indonesia and talks to two of the organizers of the mid-60s genocide against "Communists." He asks them to help make a film re-enacting their killings, and the movie just gets crazier from there. Best if you go in not knowing more than that.

Inside Llewyn Davis was pretty good.

One thing that may be of interest to non-french speaker who watched it: the last sentence of Llewyn in "Au revoir" which is the equivalent to "good bye", but in French, it's a contraction of "jusqu'au revoir", which literally means "until we see each other again". Given the Coens craftiness, the film structure and theme, I would be surprised it's coincidental.

I wonder if it's a hint that Llewyn might have come to term with his 'mediocrity' and awful shortcomings after realizing them.

I would love to do the Blu-Ray thing, but it feels soooo inefficient and wasteful.  Plus the only movie I've been tempted to watch a second time in the past two years is "Turin Horse", and mostly just cos it's beautiful and droney and unlike most conventional narrative-based things.

Oh! So there's a recommendation: Bela Tarr's Turin Horse. It's on Netflix Instant. It's as if nothing happens, but it goes so deep into so many things. I'll put them in spoilers because having the movie just happen to you is immensely pleasurable without having expectations.

- Being super poor in the country somewhere in Europe in the 1890s

- There's something primal about their actions.  By modern standards they're shut-down and depressed, but was that something that they understood? They appear in-the-moment. It's beautiful.

- The man who comes and rants at them. Can't tell if he's anachronistic... You can tell Tarr has some concerns about the way our society is structuring itself

- As poor as they are, they still implement societal restrictions. They "own" the well outside their house, which is shown by the way they scare away the gypsies who try to take some water.

- The gypsies claim that no one owns the earth, and thus curse the family, drying out their well.

- They've built their entire lives around these things that you can't count on always existing (horse, well). They know of no other way to live.

-Oof. That ending.

Also, OMG the music and the way they use it.

Hell of a movie. The intro of the films just smacks you awake and it's absolutely haunting and mesmerizing; but that's Tarr for you

I became a tiny bit addicted to the Eric Andre Show last week. I normally hate things in which people act like assholes to others, but it treads a really weird line. The opening credits are always some variation on this:

Goddamn you. Because of your recommendation (and the fact Hannibal Buress is in the show), I can't stop watching. Chiquita banana.

The last sentence of Llewyn is "Au revoir" which is the equivalent to "good bye", but in French, it's a contraction of "jusqu'au revoir", which literally means "until we see each other again". Given the Coens craftiness, the film structure and theme, I would be surprised it's coincidental.

I wonder if it's a hint that Llewyn might have come to term with his 'mediocrity' and awful shortcomings after realizing them.

I don't fully understand this. I loved the movie but the ending confused me; could you possibly expand this concept? Feel free to PM me.

The ending was pretty straightforward, as far as I can remember.

He plays his song, Dylan comes on, he exits to see whoever it is that wants to see him, it turns out it's that lady's husband, he gets beat up and then he's sad.

The ending was pretty straightforward, as far as I can remember.

He plays his song, Dylan comes on, he exits to see whoever it is that wants to see him, it turns out it's that lady's husband, he gets beat up and then he's sad.

Well, it repeats the scene from the beginning, but with more shots and (I'm told, I didn't notice) slightly different lines. The interpretation I'm most satisfied with is mostly symbolic, that he's living this awful week of ignominy over and over while the revolution's going on inside. I'm sure there are more and less literal interpretations, though.

The way I saw it was

That was just the same scene as the beginning, I think. You watch the beginning of the movie and you think it takes place in chronological order, but later you realize that very first scene wasn't the first thing that happened. I didn't notice any different lines and this New Yorker article also suggests it's just the same scene.

The way I saw it was

That was just the same scene as the beginning, I think. You watch the beginning of the movie and you think it takes place in chronological order, but later you realize that very first scene wasn't the first thing that happened. I didn't notice any different lines and this New Yorker article also suggests it's just the same scene.

Well, that makes me feel better. I still like it as a formal set of bookends, encapsulating this guy that history's passing by.

I don't think Gormongous' explanation is wrong either way.

Even if it isn't actually repeating, I guess the use of the same scene as both the beginning and end represent the same cycle Llewyn lives in. Several characters even point out this cycle in their own small ways. It also explains Vimes' thoughts on Llewyn saying "Au revoir" which I hadn't understood until now. I guess it is a little more straight forward then I what I was hoping for, and it does indeed suggest where the character's story would go after the movie. Now that I have some what of an understanding of what the Coens were trying to do (or at least, have my own interpretation of) I definitely am more satisfied with the experience.

Goddamn you. Because of your recommendation (and the fact Hannibal Buress is in the show), I can't stop watching. Chiquita banana.

Heh :)

The second series feels weird because it's done with decent cameras. The last episode is magnificent though. Also, don't miss the New Years Eve Spooktacular. It has an horrific interview with Demi Lovato.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I had to stop watching that. I'm at work right now and it's NOT GOOD if I burst out in pathetic sniggering here every two minutes. I made it past the new year's list filled with desks, but then he just starts eating spaghetti, I can't do this.

"Who killed Hannibal?" is perhaps the best Twin Peaks reference I've seen.

OK I finished it, and then watched some more snippets. I'm going to have the weirdest dreams tonight.