ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

The first season of Scrubs was goddamn transcendent. Afterwards, not so much.

I found Scrubs grew better and better up until Season 4, but then deflated after that.

I'm about halfway through second season (not much to do at the moment!), and still very much enjoying it. Though I am starting to get why I didn't finish the series before. Although it is very funny, it's also very predictable. And the jokes are basically the same thing over and over.

If we're just giving opinions, Scrubs has its up and downs until the third season, although never as solid as the first, but afterwards it begins a slow decline that turns into a cliff after the fifth.

I watched a couple of episodes of Scrubs on YouTube one morning.

It was nice, I just stayed in bed, wrapped in blankets. It was a cold morning, it had snowed all night and was still snowing. Then the power went out. And stayed out for 3 days. It was pretty terrible.

I enjoyed Scrubs for a couple of seasons but it's so incredibly formulaic that there's no way it wasn't going to get worn out after a couple of seasons. There's only so many times I can stand to see a scene end with either a) someone makes a snappy remark/JD thinks something random and then it plays a bass sting b) someone makes an upbeat remark/JD thinks something wistful and then it plays happy guitar music c) someone has an emotional moment/JD wistfully sums up the moral of the episode and then it plays sad guitar music.

Then there's also the very concrete problem of character fatigue. When characters are just one-note caricatures, then they've got an expiration date. No matter how funny they start out as - and Scrubs had the funniest of all. Kelso, Cox, Janitor, JD, Todd; that's a gold mine. But even that gets old after three seasons. Still, fond memories!

Just started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation.

It starts off a very weird note with (the?) Q and his trial of humans and Space Jellyfish. Then I watched the next episode.. and they get drunk.. I'm sorry.. infected, everyone gets horny and Data has sexy time with Yor...

:blink:

I hope it gets a tiny bit more.. serious as I continue?

I'm not there yet, still watching ToS. But to illustrate, the first ten episodes of that show are all about evil women or doubles taking over the Enterprise. Every single episode.

It caught me completely off guard..  I knew there'd be silly episodes in between, but starting off on two of 'em? Wasn't expecting that after having watched the old movies (Wrath of Khan and the one with Picard and the Borg) and Deep Space Nine and Voyager ages ago.

Just started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation.

It starts off a very weird note with (the?) Q and his trial of humans and Space Jellyfish. Then I watched the next episode.. and they get drunk.. I'm sorry.. infected, everyone gets horny and Data has sexy time with Yor...

:blink:

I hope it gets a tiny bit more.. serious as I continue?

It took them a couple of seasons to find a good rhythm and tone that seemed to work. They start to find their stride in season 2 (The Measure of a Man is one of the best episodes of the series) and by season 3 it starts to get really consistently good.

I've been working my way through the shows in chronological order and just got to where DS9 has just started and I'm really excited. I totally missed DS9 when I was younger and so far it seems like it's off to a good start.

Oh, awesome, I'm planning to make my way through the Trek tv shows as well, but only the better-regarded episodes (AVClub has given me 20 TOS eps to watch). Might try TAS as well. It's a shame Netflix only does the remastered ones, though. I'd much prefer to see the original effects.

After watching a few TOS eps, I really don't think anyone can complain about the Abrams movies being too action-driven or not philosophical enough. I know Trek does that too, but there's plenty of dumb in there too. Plus, the TOS and NG movies nearly all veer towards that side anyway (apart from the more ponderous ones that are generally regarded as the weak ones, like The Motion Picture and Insurrection); I don't think Abrams has besmirched the legacy of time-traveling whale rescue and kicking aliens in the knee-nuts.

I mean, "Shore Leave"? Come on. Jesus.

This probably warrants a The Star Trek Watch-through thread...

The Animated Series? Steering well clear of that one.

Shore Leave was a magnificent episode. OK, really silly. But 'A taste of armageddon', 'Errand of mercy' and especially 'Balance of terror' are super good. However, absolutely, Star Trek has its share of silliness. Almost every episode ends with Kirk making a small jab at Spock and the latter looking up quizzically.

The story with the first 2 seasons of TNG being a little weird, is that Roddenberry was getting into his later years, but still involved in production. Lots of sex focused stuff. He was retired in Season 3 and people generally feel that's where it turns for the better. 

Ayo, I just exhausted Goddard's filmography. Who should I jump to next?

What did you think of it?