ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

You've never seen Plan Nine From Outer Space? But it's a cinematic masterpiece!

I'm pretty sure it's public domain.

One release of the DVD apparently has the phrase "almost starring Bela Lugosi" on the cover, which is the best thing.

Have we talked about Europa Report yet? If not: Go see! It's of the same caliber as Moon. And might be even more awesome. More of this please!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/

P.S. don't see the trailer or read anything about this movie! Just go see it.

You've never seen Plan Nine From Outer Space? But it's a cinematic masterpiece!

Wut?

Also I saw 2 Guns.  :tup:  B movie schlock. Washington and Wahlberg make it work well enough that I was just having fun, it felt like some B action movie from the eighties or early nineties, like I was watching an only somewhat less ridiculous Lethal Weapon.

You have not seen bad film until you have seen Samurai Cop.

I saw it on YouTube after an all-nighter once and was out of breath from laughing fifteen minutes in.

It's better than The Room.

(NSFW) 

This is how they caught the guy in the previous clip. 

And this is just more, because why not:

Starship_Troopers.jpg

The best bad movie of all time. It's absolute genius, like Paul Verhoeven was doing it all intentionally, and got some of the worst actors he could find on purpose without ever letting them in on the joke. Everything, from the PSA's "Would you like the know more?" to the exuberant extras "I'm doing my part! *Everyone laughs" even down to the choice of music. The opening literally has a song with the clearly heard lyrics "all is calm... all is well" just at the exact scene any movie would be establishing it's "everything is great" status quo right before interrupting it, which is of course what Starship Troopers does just perfectly.

He even got Michael Ironside, totally straight faced, to say "They sucked his brains out." It's awesome! But I'm not sure if it "really" counts because it seems too perfect not to have been done intentionally. I'll have to watch Samurai Cop just to see what an earnestly bad movie is.

Watching American Horror Story. I can't tell how serious it's trying to be. Hopefully it's not trying to be 100% serious since I'm finding it pretty funny.

But I'm not sure if it "really" counts because it seems too perfect not to have been done intentionally.

I'm pretty sure all of that was intentional, and I doubt he'd adapt the jingoistic Heinlein novel in an earnest yet inept manner. I think Verhoeven is a much more michievous man that people like to think. While it got terrible reviews at the time, Showgirls struck me as a very deliberate dig at Hollywood, show business, and the output and culture of both. I only watched it for the first time last year, but it seemed like just in case of any doubt, the sex scene was a very obvious and deliberate effort to hit that home (<-- carefully chosen words, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it). AFAIK Verhoeven remained coy about his intent with Showgirls, but he did show up in person to collect a Razzie.

Whatever happen to the starship troopers reboot

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/could-total-recalls-failure-kill-sonys-starship-troopers-reboot/

must be dead, probably for the best... definitely for the best

I watched the total recall reboot a few weeks ago, it is actually better than i was expecting but obviously still not a particularly good movie. But what stuck out for me was the pretty great 'world building' and gadgets n stuff.

It's a ready made video game world, in fact the total recall reboot should have been and would have worked a lot better if it was a video game, something between deus ex and binary domain

At first, I was going to put this in the Dancing thumbs thread, but then I decided that the video is better than the song.

Also on board with the "Paul Verhoeven is actually a genius" train. Love his stuff.

Seems no one has commented on Monsters U?

It's pretty bad. Uninspired, unfunny.

To be honest, I didn't expect entirely otherwise. Pixar has somewhat disappointed me ever since The Incredibles (which doesn't really hold up after repeated viewings either, by the way). Up I downright (left) hated. The whole sector of animated movies hasn't been able to hold my interest. Sure, I heard good things about How to Train your Dragon and Tangled, but haven't seen those yet. The last film in the genre I really loved was the awesome Rango. It was delightfully off-kilter and a-typical.

Also; holy shit look at Siskel getting steamed. Go for the jugular, Ebert!

Seems no one has commented on Monsters U?

It's pretty bad. Uninspired, unfunny.

We took our daughter to see this, and yeah, pretty much what you said. It was a pretty said ripoff of Revenge of the Nerds if you ask me and was predictable all the way through. It was okay at the surface level I guess for just an average, stereotypical college movie but it was definitely the worst Pixar movie by far. I don't understand why it was even made.

To be honest, I didn't expect entirely otherwise. Pixar has somewhat disappointed me ever since The Incredibles (which doesn't really hold up after repeated viewings either, by the way). Up I downright (left) hated. The whole sector of animated movies hasn't been able to hold my interest. Sure, I heard good things about How to Train your Dragon and Tangled, but haven't seen those yet. The last film in the genre I really loved was the awesome Rango. It was delightfully off-kilter and a-typical.

I sadly still haven't seen The Incredibles. I loved/hated Up. Parts of it were beautiful and inspiring and parts of it were just plain stupid. The talking dogs that flew airplanes ultimately pissed me off and left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. This movie was going in one direction (Up) at the beginning and took a fucking nosedive at the end. I didn't really enjoy Rango all that much either. I get what it was an homage to and everything but it just didn't click for me. Maybe it was because I thought Toy Story 3 did that same story much better or maybe it was because there was a giant rattlesnake with a chaingun for a tail. Or maybe I've just seen enough of the "take a standard story and replace the humans with animals" type movies by now.

I'm probably going to get massive shit for this but one beloved Pixar movie that I hated was Ratatouille. I just never understood what was supposedly so special about this movie. Between the granny blowing her house to pieces with a shotgun while going after a rat, the rat talking to a human ghost cook (or thinking he is talking to a human ghost cook), the rat being able to talk to humans, and the main guy acting like a marionette puppet when his hair was pulled I just felt like everything in the movie was surface level dumb stuff to make kids laugh. Maybe there was something deeper that I missed but it didn't seem like it was anywhere near the level of Toy Story or Wall-E.

Of course, these are stupid opinions from a stupid person and I am in the minority here. So I just have to assume my tastes aren't refined enough to appreciate what is special about those movies.

Surprising amount of Pixar hate all up in here. Personally, I've liked just about everything they've put out besides Brave and the Cars movies. I didn't think it approached their best, but I though Monsters University was stronger than their last few films at least.

This week I watched both the theatrical and director's cut versions of the 1986 Little Shop of Horrors. It was fantastic, particularly the music and the Audrey II effects. Probably the most convincing movie creature I've ever seen.

Brave was great and you're all high on some kind of drug.

I liked Brave well enough, but didn't think it was super hot great.  I loved Up.  Haven't even bothered to see either Cars movies though

'm probably going to get massive shit for this but one beloved Pixar movie that I hated was Ratatouille. I just never understood what was supposedly so special about this movie. Between the granny blowing her house to pieces with a shotgun while going after a rat, the rat talking to a human ghost cook (or thinking he is talking to a human ghost cook), the rat being able to talk to humans, and the main guy acting like a marionette puppet when his hair was pulled I just felt like everything in the movie was surface level dumb stuff to make kids laugh. Maybe there was something deeper that I missed but it didn't seem like it was anywhere near the level of Toy Story or Wall-E.

I'm 100% in the same boat. What a dumb film. It's got cute moments but mainly it's weird, and even creepy in places such as when a rat marionettes a guy into doing romantic stuff. I mean wtf.

I was mostly OK with Wall-E until the very end, when in the credit animation the humans magically manage to fix everything caused by milennia of fucked-up behaviour almost instantly. It completely trivialises how bleak things really are in the actual film.

As far as Up goes, it's in my mind a lovely short film (the opening about young Carl) with a whole lot of pointless stuff following it.

The Incredibles remains one of my favourite animated films, next to the Emperor's New Groove, The Fantastic Mr. Fox and My Neighbour Totoro.

I remember hearing that on the Behind the Scenes on the Blu-ray. But their version was that Crispin Glover demanded a much higher paycheck for the sequels, and Spielberg and co thought he was being way too demanding for a beginning, no-name actor, so they didn't hire him.