ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Nappi, couldn't agree less. After finishing AD s4 I ended up in love with the thing. In the last four episodes everything seemed to click for me and get funnier with every minute. George Michael's episode, especially, was really fast and funny and had my biggest surprise moment.

Agreed about Tobias' episodes, though. He has his moments, but the DeBrie storyline was not my favorite. Catch A Predator bit made up for it for me.

I agree that that it got better towards the end, and the George Michael episodes were actually pretty good. I still didn't enjoy the season as a whole. 

I guess I enjoyed it more than you did as a whole, but I'm still waiting until I rewatch it to see what I really think of it. To be honest, a lot of the older episodes didn't really click with me until I watched them a second time (especially the pilot)

I find the whole notion that people existing like that (and they do; I know them) makes the work less enjoyable. Are you saying characters ought to be sympathetic or likable?

Ben, it dips in quality but it's mostly fun still.. for the later half of season 5 and season 6 it gets back on track, but it's never as good as the first two seasons.

Nappi, couldn't agree less. After finishing AD s4 I ended up in love with the thing. In the last four episodes everything seemed to click for me and get funnier with every minute. George Michael's episode, especially, was really fast and funny and had my biggest surprise moment.

Agreed about Tobias' episodes, though. He has his moments, but the DeBrie storyline was not my favorite. Catch A Predator bit made up for it for me.

I really can't wait to rewatch it, catch all the details in the first episodes I might have missed due to not having seen the whole picture.

I really loved AD s4. The whole storyline with DeBrie having been in a low budget Fantastic Four was hysterical since I already knew about the awful unreleased version Roger Corman produced in the early 90's on a $1 million budget and directed by Oley Sassone (allegedly the son of Vidal Sassoon despite the spelling difference in the last name) whose prior work included Bloodfist 3: Forced to Fight and the video for the Mr. Mister song "Broken Wings." The only reason the film was made was for the producer to retain the rights to the movie -- he then went on to produce the also terrible 2005 version, but that one at least had a proper budget and made some money.

I'd accidentally read a massive spoiler about GoT, but:

Even expecting the Red Wedding, holy shit. That was one of the most brutal, hopeless and harrowing scenes I've ever seen on TV. Also, just how screwed up is Arya going to be?

I totally agree!

(Just a vague spoiler for S3E09, so if you have seen this one you're fine)

One of the best scenes in the series so far. Very unexpected for me (as I haven't read the books and maybe am dense), with this amazingly tense buildup, and when she sees the chain mail and he kind of shrugs, PANIC, FUCKFUCKFUCK! I can't remember ever having such a WTF-just-happened-moment while watching TV before. Damn, and now they are dead.

So I watched Star Trek: Into Dorkness.

1. why does she have a British accent when her dad has an American accent
  2. there is some obvious-ass foreshadowing going on all up in this biz
  3. several of the setpieces from the bridge of the enterprise are UPC scanners. There's a matching pair included in every single shot of the bridge that are identical to a weird replacement scanner we had when I worked at Blockbuster. Nobody liked using it because it was a piece of shit.

A++ would watch again.

RE #1: Maybe she grew up with mommy.

Edit: And after a quick wiki search,

Carol Marcus is highlighted in a deleted scene from Star Trek Into Darkness, which explains the split universe's Carol was raised by her mother in England, thereby addressing why she has a different accent from her prime-universe counterpart.

• why does she have a British accent when her dad has an American accent
  • there is some obvious-ass foreshadowing going on all up in this biz
  • several of the setpieces from the bridge of the enterprise are UPC scanners. There's a matching pair included in every single shot of the bridge that are identical to a weird replacement scanner we had when I worked at Blockbuster. Nobody liked using it because it was a piece of shit.
A++ would watch again.
The scanner thing distracted me too.

1. why does she have a British accent when her dad has an American accent
  3. there is some obvious-ass foreshadowing going on all up in this biz
  5. several of the setpieces from the bridge of the enterprise are UPC scanners. There's a matching pair included in every single shot of the bridge that are identical to a weird replacement scanner we had when I worked at Blockbuster. Nobody liked using it because it was a piece of shit.

A++ would watch again.

Yeah apparently they were gonna have a scene explaining she grew up in London but ended up cutting it.

Watched the Sherlock TV series over the weekend with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.  I enjoyed it a lot and highly recommend it.  Found the ~1 1/2 hr episode format very interesting.  Allows for longer stand alone stories to be told which I appreciated.

I LOVE Sherlock.  It's one of the things I rewatch on a regular basis.  I also might have a slight man-crush on Benedict Cumberbatch (how awesome is that name?).  He was one of the reasons I wanted to see the latest Star Trek flick, which I enjoyed but felt could have benefitted from more Cumberbatch.

Well, I still haven't watched Sherlock and think Star Trek needed more Cumberbatch. He was the best part of the movie and wasn't in it nearly as much as he should have been.

Just saw Iron Man 3.  That movie was all over the place.  The plot has some giant holes in it.  A few good action sequences and some funny bits.  Tons of stuff that frankly didn't need to be in the movie at all.  The after credits scene is pretty good.  I'm not sure if I liked it or not because I'm not entirely sure what it was I just saw.

Been watching Stargate SG-1, it's so bad, but it's also so good.  I'm still on the first season and I hope it stays like this forever.

Sherlock is a lot of fun, have been meaning to see if Elementary is worthwhile, has anyone seen it?

I watched a couple of episodes. It's pretty bad, especially when compared to BBC's Sherlock.

Elementary is no that great compared to Sherlock. But on it's own it's pretty decent.

Been watching Stargate SG-1, it's so bad, but it's also so good.  I'm still on the first season and I hope it stays like this forever.

I will confess to being a Stargate fan.  I know it's not the best series (as Comic Book Guy put it, "of the four Star franchises: Wars, Trek, Gate, and Search, Gate is easily my third favorite") but I enjoyed it.

I love Stargate. Pretty much all of it. It's my first favorite! I was fucking mad when they took it off Netflix streaming when I was in the middle of rewatching it.

Goddamnit Netflix.

Dumb question from the unenlightened: what Woody Allen movies do I see if I have watched Manhattan and Annie Hall? 

Dumb question from the unenlightened: what Woody Allen movies do I see if I have watched Manhattan and Annie Hall? 

Bananas.