ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I have a question: I have some amazon credit I want to use, and the Alien Anthology on Blu-Ray is on sale for super cheap. Does anyone know which cuts of the movies are included? I think it's both versions of each movie, but I'm not entirely sure. I hear that the original version of the second movie and the Director's cut of the third are both really good, and as chance would have it those are the two that I can't find anywhere.

I have a question: I have some amazon credit I want to use, and the Alien Anthology on Blu-Ray is on sale for super cheap. Does anyone know which cuts of the movies are included? I think it's both versions of each movie, but I'm not entirely sure. I hear that the original version of the second movie and the Director's cut of the third are both really good, and as chance would have it those are the two that I can't find anywhere.

I have this and absolutely love it. There are two versions of each movie: the theatrical release and the director's cut or special edition. The bonus features are also pretty great; some good interviews with Sigourney Weaver and Ridley Scott. You should get it if it's on sale.

Want to share with you a movie I saw a few days ago: The Secret of Kells. It's beautiful. An Irish animated feature with gorgeous celtic compositions and designs, and a charming, small story. If you have any love for animation, I urge you to see this.

I have this and absolutely love it. There are two versions of each movie: the theatrical release and the director's cut or special edition. The bonus features are also pretty great; some good interviews with Sigourney Weaver and Ridley Scott. You should get it if it's on sale.

Done and done. Unfortunately they were out of stock by the time I actually decided, so it'll take a while to get here, but I still got the sale price. I didn't even use up the full credit!

(For anyone interested, it's twenty bucks. Normally the set costs eighty)

Saw Fast and Furious 6 last night.  That movie knows exactly what it is and absolutely knocked it out of the park

Done and done. Unfortunately they were out of stock by the time I actually decided, so it'll take a while to get here, but I still got the sale price. I didn't even use up the full credit!

(For anyone interested, it's twenty bucks. Normally the set costs eighty)

So worth it. The making of Alien 3 is worth 20 bucks alone. Great set.

Saw Fast and Furious 6 last night.  That movie knows exactly what it is and absolutely knocked it out of the park

100% agree. After watching and talking about all the movies with a few friends we have realized that Ludracris is the secret special sauce of the series. Any scene with him is gold especially in this movie. I think this is the perfect movie to leave the series since Justin Lin is out and I don't want another movie with the Rock or worse with the lead from Tokyo Drift

Also watched the Canadian series Slings and Arrows about a theatre putting on 3 plays of Shakespeare (Hamlet, MacBeth, King Lear -one per season) and I think this is one of the best tv series I have ever seen. after watching this I will some day go to Straford in Canada and see the 3 plays they covered. Also has one of the best ending to series, up there with the Shield and Six feet under.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/olivers-dream,91369/

Also started watching Babylon 5. Still in the first season. The CGI is terrible and some of the dialogue is a stilted but it has the seeds of a really good show - it's a more pessimistic (or realistic) take on intergalatic affairs than Star Trek. From what I have heard the second season is where it properly kicks off.

The first season of B5 is kitschy and messy, some people have a hard time getting through. If you manage to stick it out to the second season and beyond, it'll be a highly gratifying sci-fi experience. Some of the characters have rightfully become classic. Londo and G'Kar in particular!

Dammit, I signed on to Netflix for the new Arrested Development, but they will only show it to me in SD for some reason. 

Want to share with you a movie I saw a few days ago: The Secret of Kells. It's beautiful. An Irish animated feature with gorgeous celtic compositions and designs, and a charming, small story. If you have any love for animation, I urge you to see this.

I totally agree! Very great animation.

Dammit, I signed on to Netflix for the new Arrested Development, but they will only show it to me in SD for some reason. 

I had the same problem (I get to Netflix through a proxy). It's the speed of your net connection. Try also updating SIlverlight.

For whatever reason they are SD on PC no matter how fast your internet connection. Luckily my stupid Samsung TV can play it on 5.1 Super HD.  :fart:

Yeah, I don't see why Arrested Development in HD would take up more bandwidth than anything else in HD.

Make sure you check in account settings for your video quality. I think they default to SD to avoid data caps here in the US (though they'll always throttle lower to stay smooth on slower connections).

Just watched the entire new season of Arrested Development. Overall this season was disappointing. This was a great ensemble show and focusing on individual characters doesn't work very well. The Tobias focused episodes just show how one note the character is. The best of the bunch were the  first Lindsay, GOB episodes and Maybe's( in part because it was so late in the season). The amount of scenes that involved the actors recorded separately just reinforced how not having the cast together damages the show was as I went straight through the season. Also a fair amount of dubbing after shooting didn't help either. I was worried that they would overdo it with referencing past episodes but beyond the deluge of cameos in the first few episodes I thought they didn't overdo it.

The setup of episodes happening at the same time did lead to some pretty funny moments as the season went on but that doesn't make for the fact they did it cause they couldn't get the whole cast together. 

Also the show was pretty racist in it's depiction of India and with some Chinese characters.

Make sure you check in account settings for your video quality. I think they default to SD to avoid data caps here in the US (though they'll always throttle lower to stay smooth on slower connections).

It's not that. They just don't want to show me Arrested Development in HD, probably to save some server load.

I saw all of spaced :tup:

It starts out a bit slow, but after that the weirdness pops up and it's getting more fun.

Hahah, I set up my PS3 again to watch Arrested Development, and HD works. But how on God's green Earth do you turn off subtitles in the console app? This damn service...

Seven episodes in and I'm not sure I even want to finish S4. Making it a non-ensemble show really wrecked it for me. There's so much I don't like about the new season. Not horrible, still pretty funny, but the magic is pretty definitively gone for me.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The first episode was just so off-putting; not just because it was focused on a single character, the entire tone felt wrong. Everything is meaner; the characters are meaner, the jokes are meaner. I managed to slog through the first two episodes, got through about half of the third one, and have no real motivation to continue. I keep hearing people say that it gets better around the fifth episode, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give this show the benefit of the doubt and keep watching.

I'm sure eventually I'll watch all the episodes, but my enthusiasm was be extremely tempered by what I've seen so far.

Is this an expectations thing? Because I'm loving it so far. More Arrested Development!

I really hope it isn't. What I expected from the new episodes was a season 3 type of vibe: a sitcom that had clearly run its course with only a few stellar moments in an otherwise mediocre run. I never expected the new episodes to live up to the absolutely superb seasons 1 and 2 of the show, but I expected them to be decent. So far the first few episodes have been really difficult to watch and I haven't laughed at all.