ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

As a movie, I liked the camera work and the changes in filming style. As an action movie I hated the action and the plot was even worse than usual. As a cop movie it made me feel like shit because I'm fairly aware of how the police forces in America, largely staffed with younger people, are kind of fucking nuts.

In the end I hate End of Watch for making me think about that again.

I have nothing useful to say about the actual content of the film. I just thought the found footage motif was pretty pointless. They didn't stick to it and it didn't contribute to the plot at all.

Definitely. I liked the film but they never did anything with that plot points. It's really odd. I also found the way things developed a bit difficult to believe. I really liked the performances, though.

Just watched 'Immortals', so much better then a thought and hoped it would be. Would recommend.

(I think the quardupal whiskeys helped)

Perseus is a badass.

Are we every going to get a god of war movie? After watching that I wish they'd give the Greek mythology the avengers treatment, have a Kratos movie, then a Perseus movie, then complete the trilogy with all out god war. Culminating in Perseus killing Kratos (the fucker has to die)

Just watched 'Immortals', so much better then a thought and hoped it would be. Would recommend.

Was it just me, or does the guy with no tongue end up doing nothing, and just flat-out disappear towards the end? I watched it while feverish, so I'm not 100% on that, but I was amazed.

when they find the sisters boiling alive in the steel cow the monk becomes enraged picks up a sword and runs down to some bad guys to give them what for. but an ambush awaits!!! The monk gets dispatched in a blink and your'll miss it moment. And that's when Helios pops up and starts caving in everyone's heads in slow motion

Waitaminute you all like Immortals?

Even with the horrible bull with people in it? And the needless SM army? And the sort of disappointing 'titans', that weren't titans but small goblin dudes? Or am I mixing films up?

I dunno, it just... maybe it lacked a quadrupal whisky, but I was a lot more impressed with Wrath of the Titans after that.

I tried to watch clash of the titans on a plane a couple of years ago and had to turn it off half way through.garbage.

That experience and seeing a 6/10 score on imdb gave me a really low expectation. But... Mickey Rourke was great, nice to see Stephen Dorff alive and well :) the film looked fantastic, when all the gods turn up in their golden armour I actually gave out an audible whoop. I needed silly over the top style after the disappointing character design of clash

And I love that they waged an entire war inside a tiny corridor :P

I saw Zero Dark Thirty. I thought the middle felt overly dramatized, and left me pretty irritated with Maya (perhaps that was the point), but the beginning and end quite effectively portrayed the ambiguous ethics of war - is it justified to do a wrong to prevent a greater wrong? How about if you only think it will prevent a greater wrong? Those are thoroughly obvious questions, of course, but it did get me thinking about them, and there's something to be said for confronting the audience with an actual depiction of the things they may otherwise be inclined to consider as more abstract concepts. Or perhaps that's just me.

I mostly agree with this article that claims that the dramatization of Maya conflicts with the procedural elements (though I don't think it hurts the film quite as much as D'Angelo does). Still a really good movie, though.

That guy thinks what I think!

He also thinks some slightly more subtle and observant things, but among that stuff is the problem I had with that film. It was still quite good, but it let itself down.

Have we talked about DREDD yet?

Because that movie is pretty damn awesome. Hopefully the DVD/bluray sales will offset the horrible cinema income and give us a sequel because that's all I wanted after seeing this movie.

I went in expecting a dumb thing with too much slow motion, and, to my surprise, enjoyed it very much. I love it when a movie confidently knows its genre and owns it.

My experience was pretty similar and I ended up enjoying it a lot, although I gotta say it's one of those movies where the depictions of violence made me slightly uncomfortable at times. Other times, I really liked the sheer bluntness and brutality. It did feel appropriate for that world.

I think that setting could have made an interesting game. They missed the opportunity to make different levels of the huge building somehow recognizably different from each other. I could have used a lot more (black) humour as well and a more satirical take on issues. Also, those helmets made the actors' heads look tiny. But it's pretty good.

i loved it, i appreciated it a lot more after reading some interviews with Karl and the director. It sounded like they were huge fans and really stayed true to the comic

255493_10152108106525389_1831622048_n.jpg

I was thinking the other day that they should give Daredevil the Dredd treatment, Don't worry about making an origin story. Just 24 hours in Hells kitchen, you could establish/explain his sensory powers really quickly then just get on with it. Start the movie in the day time with him doing his lawyer stuff which would tie in to the baddies he'd be ass-kicking at night. I nice quick and dirty hyper violent low budget movie.

Yes! I posted about it when it was released. Awesome movie.

Low budget, British styled, ultra violence.

I've actually been reading the comics and yep, this is very true to them. I hope there's going to be a sequel. Fun fact: The 'slo-mo' noise was based on the sound of a Justin Bieber record played 800 times slower than normal.

Also, fans of the TV show Snuff Box will probably recognise the theme tune played at certain points.

Weird that there's no commentary on the DVD/Blu-ray release, though.

In general haven't commentary tracks (and special features) been on the decline? Unless the director has clout or the studio has a financial reason to invest in a special edition DVD, commentary tracks aren't terribly common these days.

Really? I don't think I own a Blu-ray that doesn't feature a commentary - maybe the Batman movies, but Nolan has the clout to say no: They're incredibly cheap to produce, and Special Features help sell the film. For something like Dredd, which needs all the help it can get, I'm surprised they didn't cram everyone into the studio to talk about it.

What's weirder is that the director said he wouldn't come back for a sequel. Sounds like maybe there was some power struggles behind the scenes.

In general haven't commentary tracks (and special features) been on the decline? Unless the director has clout or the studio has a financial reason to invest in a special edition DVD, commentary tracks aren't terribly common these days.

It largely depends on the director, honestly. They're not a novelty like they were in the old days, but the effect has been to largely weed out all the bad ones. The ones that are the best at it—Fincher and Soderbergh, for example—are still going strong. And of course, specialty houses like the Criterion Collection are as feature-filled and excellent as ever.

I'm probably going to go see Wreck-It Ralph, which this is playing in front of, so I'll leave it for then.