ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Man, I understand that some people think T2 is an excellent film, but to think T1 is inferior, and even a slog, boggles my mind.

What makes Terminator a good movie?

Classic, genre-setting, etc. I guess I can see, but I just... I dunno. I admit I probably didn't give it enough time, but the beginning was just so boring, and there didn't seem to be anything special to it. Maybe I'm just getting into it far too late to enjoy it. I don't think that's it, though. I generally don't have that sort of problem. Why should I keep watching? CONVINCE ME.

T4 was really dumb. Especially the end is a special kind of dumb, that actually switches over to the glorious side of the equation.

I recall a mid-desert heart transplant with rusty equipment.

T1 and T2 are different kinds of movies. T2 is a better action movie, because, it has better action. But story and suspense wise, T1 is better.

T3 is more like a comedy... or tragedy... And what's this T4 people talk about?

Because if you don't, none of us will like you anymore.

Well everyone already hates me so that's not very convincing!

How about because some movies take a while to build and you should give it more than ten minutes before dismissing them?

Who says I only gave it ten minutes? I gave it 42, according to where I left off in Netflix.

Your problem appears to be that you were watching an Arnie film with your brain on.

I just think the buddy movie aspects of T2 detract from the theme and some kid bossing Arnie around takes away from the horror of what he's supposed to be. Not to mention the whole aspect of making a Terminator the good guy. T2 is a tighter movie in many ways, but I feel its content is not in agreement with its theme.

Didn't mean to imply terminator 1 was bad, just he wasnt enjoying it. It's been years since I've seen it, though I know I enjoyed T2 more, and if you can't get through T1 for some reason, T2 does more or less cover the happenings of the first.

Related, I only watched a bit of the tv show, but I really dug the last half or so of the last season. Enjoyed the big question it raised at the end, even if they didn't get to explore it.

Your problem appears to be that you were watching an Arnie film with your brain on.

Probably.

Well YOU forgot Commando. Forgot it, or have no taste for cinematic meisterwerks.

And you all forgot Predator. Philistines.

Twig, you're missing out on a few great Arnie films: Terminator, Predator, Total Recall, True Lies. Perhaps a few other good ones, too. They're not great because of Arnie, but they happen to have him in them and use him in an effective way. He's a little wonky in True Lies, but the film constantly surrounds him with lots of good stuff so it gets away with it. Also, Temple Of Doom is the third best Indy film.

U:

Nah, Ben called Predator.

So I just took the time to watch the Prince of Persia movie and I'm actually quite pleased outside of a couple of unnecessary added plot points and some stupid visual flairs.

If anything my main issue was that there was not enough dorky wall jumping and curtain riding like the game. My girlfriend said all of the video game reference parts made the movie cheesy so more would have been bad, but eh. Even though the woman who is not named Farah but is Farah may not play out the exact same role, I feel like the banter I loved was achieved very well. Now I'm just going to be wondering if any line of dialogue at all written by Mechner himself made it in. He also doesn't seem to like the movie that much, but Mechner comes off as very humble and quiet, so I wonder his true thoughts.

I do have that self published making of PoP book he put out last year, maybe I should read that soon and see if it touches upon the movie at all...

I'm also a little bit curious if the garb that Dastan and Tamina wear about a third of the way through was a reference to PoP2008 with prodigy Prince and not-Natalie-Portman? If so, that's kind of neat nod, as I don't usually expect anyone making a video game movie to be that familiar with anything beyond the one game.

T4

Not to re-derail the thread, but you all made this 'T4' up, no? - I honestly can't remember. There is this one with the female Terminator and then...all I can think of is Transformers - wait, was Shia Leboeuf in Terminator 4?

(Yeah sure, Google, but where is the fun in that.)

T4 was called Salvation, it starred Christian Bale and it was generally considered a poor effort.

T2 is a tighter movie in many ways

I'd say T1 is the tighter film in every way, but I agree with you on everything else re. T2!

Orv, T1 isn't the typical Arnie dumb-action-silly-one-liners-action-flick. It's almost better to think of Arnie as a living prop that Cameron manipulates marvellously in his smart, sharp little sci-fi thriller.

Twig, if you got 42 minutes into The Terminator and found it boring and not worth watching, there's not really anything we're going to be able say to convince you otherwise.

Oh yeah. Huh.

The second season of Sarah Connor Chronicles had some good stuff. Despite its stupid name. Too bad it got canceled in favour of Dollhouse's useless second season.

T4 was called Salvation, it starred Christian Bale and it was generally considered a poor effort.

Ah, yeah, right, thanks...äh...I think I remember there being such a movie. I do remember (vaguely) that I wanted to see it, I think there was a promising/misleading trailer - featuring the booming Terminator theme - and I probably saw it, in the cinema even, I think. Two kids in a bunker, or was that the third...probably explosions...damn...

It's the one where you can see the DoP in the back of all the shots.