ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

This may be a little childish, but I've got an account on www.icheckmovies.com, a site that lets you track which movies you've seen. I'm nearing the 1000th movie (listed, though I'm sure I've seen more that I can't remember), and I want that one to be a special one. Any suggestions?

I've got some films lying around that might suit the bill (La Regle du Jeu, Sunrise, The Apartment, The Great Dictator, The Sweet Smell of Success, Broken Flowers), but if someone here has the perfect movie in mind, I'm happy to hear it.

Good good. I just saw The Jerk by the way, purely because Jake referenced it in the podcast. The can-hating sniper scene was one of the funniest moments in the film; otherwise I'm ambivalent towards it. I'll take Planes, Trains and Automobiles over anything else Steve Martin has done.

I'm partial to Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Oh, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is good. When Steve Martin is at his best, he's just terrific. But it's a rare occasion.

I fear I didn't really get Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid seven years ago, maybe I should rewatch it now that I've seen more noir.

The opening of The Jerk was great though; Martin in the dumpster with that stupid voice of his.

tmb_111_480.jpg

It was never easy for me. I was born a poor, black child.

Man, I'm surprised at how many people are saying that about MIB 3. What makes it markedly superior to the first one for you guys?

Well, I haven't seen the first one in years and years. It has these pretty traditional fish-out-of-water and rags-to-riches narrative mechanics. It's that whole origin story thing. Mostly I thought this one just had a really tight script and direction, great one liners delivered just right and I really loved that bad guy. I liked Will Smith in it, how weird is that?

Two things really bothered me about MIB 2.

1. Jemaine from The Flight of the Conchords as a villain.

2. The fact that Will Smith didn't even consider

raising himself up after he saw his father get killed. Of course, that would probably have meant marrying his own mother, but being fatherless really did seem to bother the future him a lot.

EDIT: Inline spoilers are gone again?

I thought that voice was familiar! I forgot to check; I was betting Tim Curry. Do you mean that he did a bad job or that it was just weird to have that familiar actor as the villain?

I thought that voice was familiar! I forgot to check; I was betting Tim Curry. Do you mean that he did a bad job or that it was just weird to have that familiar actor as the villain?

I think he was the best villain in the trilogy, honestly.

I was truly on board with the movie at Clement's "You complete me" line at the start. Of course the line isn't totally original, but I thought the delivery was superb.

I didn't find the villain particularly interesting to begin with. I realized who the actor was halfway through the movie when I was looking for something else in the IMDB. After that I had really hard time taking him seriously, because I Jemaine was so strongly associated with Jemaine in my head. Nothing wrong with his acting, though.

I have another comment, and I could well be off here. I felt that for the subject matter, the film relies surprisingly little on effects. Obviously there are a ton of them, but I never felt like they were showcasing technology. Especially in comparison with something like The Avengers, which bored me with its massive CGI action sequences. The CGI seemed to be there to serve the plot and characterization, not to show off.

Defending the movie in multiple posts makes it look like it's my favourite in years, but I was just surprised by how much I enjoyed it and how little in it annoyed me for a blockbuster sci-fi action movie.

I enjoyed MIB3, but would never put it above the first one. The first one was a solid film with perfect pacing. This one was a bit overstuffed and dragged at times, but very fun. Especially liked the "infinite possibility" guy. I was sold on him from the first scene. He went a bit overboard on the melancholy by the end, though.

I enjoyed MIB3, but would never put it above the first one. The first one was a solid film with perfect pacing. This one was a bit overstuffed and dragged at times, but very fun. Especially liked the "infinite possibility" guy. I was sold on him from the first scene. He went a bit overboard on the melancholy by the end, though.

I forgot to see this coming.

Well, paraphrasing. Yeah, he was great. It's odd to see that dude in Boardwalk Empire.

Quite enjoying the Green Lantern animated series...although there is slightly curiously named main character - 'Killawog'. Surprised at that one.