ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

The Intouchables is a great movie, go see it (again). While emotional buttons might get pushed it never felt like it was calculated or cliché. The trailer gives some of the charm away, but still, it was a joy to watch. Maybe it helps to not be a boring cynic drunk to enjoy such a mostly positive and sometimes heartwarming movie.

I'm not boring!! screw you!

I think I'm going to go see Jaws at the cinema today, I have not seen it before.

I'm not boring!! screw you!

I think I'm going to go see Jaws at the cinema today, I have not seen it before.

Were you... born yesterday? How does that happen?

Were you... born yesterday? How does that happen?

born 14 years after its first release, almost to the date. I haven't avoided it, it's just one of those things.

Scipio, live every week like it's Shark Week.

I'm digging Tron: Uprising at the moment. Worth a check.

I'm not sure yet. This is beyond what the second Tron movie did, even further away from the original Tron movie and Tron 2.0 Video game. The first episode was quite a mess of short shots. Also.. Flynn created the grid, meant for Video games? That's not how it was set up in the first movie.

Have a new thing and and old thing that I just found out existed.

Both these things look incredible.

Whoa, and World on a Wire was released by Criterion earlier this year. I have no idea why that wasn't a bigger deal. Thank you so much for the heads up!

A decade since I last (and first) watched it, Battle Royale sure is still a movie.

I'm not sure yet. This is beyond what the second Tron movie did, even further away from the original Tron movie and Tron 2.0 Video game. The first episode was quite a mess of short shots. Also.. Flynn created the grid, meant for Video games? That's not how it was set up in the first movie.

While I see what you're saying, I've disregarded Tron canon (as I'm not that familiar with it), and am taking it at face value - the art style is great, the score is great, and the characters seem to be rounding out a bit. I thought ep4 fell a little flat, although

Beck's friend being recruited to the bad guys to help catch the renegade will prove interesting

. I doubt it will win any awards for advanced story-telling, but purely as a solid, stylish and above all slightly more adult animation than say Clone Wars, I'm liking it.

I'm disliking it more and more when I keep in mind that this is supposed to be inside the computer world and has things to do with Tron. (The helicopters are the worst offenders so far).

If I just disregard this all and see it as something happening in a futuristic alternate reality it's a bit better. But so far the whole story/plot is quite tedious. It doesn't contain much interesting stuff and most characters are without any depth. I guess I will have to wait and see where they're going to take this.

I just watched Jurassic Park 3. I don't get this movie, where is Goldblum? What sense is there making a Jurassic Park movie without Goldblum.

Anyone catch Cosmopolis, and if so... thoughts?

I heard it's rubbish, but I'd like to decide for myself. It's not in theaters over here.

Just watched the first episode of HBO's The Newsroom. Opens strong with the university outburst/meltdown they showed in the trailers, slows down when they hit the newsroom, then kicks it into high gear when the

BP/Halliburton oil spill

breaks and they all scramble to piece together the story.

I liked the fact that they picked the breaking of the BP/Halliburton oil spill as the their episode 1 news bit.

The fact they went with real news instead of making up a proxy was surprising to me for some reason. Aside from that it was a lot of explaining who's who, throwing out of the old news team, introducing the new faces.. a necessary evil of a first episode, which they managed to get through well enough. It passed the first episode test, and will remain on my PVR's record list.

EDIT :: What happened to the Blackout style spoilers.

New Yorker gave it a less than glowing review.

That troubles me, because the writer basically says that it starts decently and then goes downhill. The reason that worries me is because I just watched the first episode and I thought it had great potential, but as it was the first episode it was kind of held back by the structure of setting up the premise and the characters. I hoped or expected the series to then gradually take off over the next few episodes, but I suppose we'll see how it goes.

As for the interview with Aaron Sorkin that was posted... in this thread? Elsewhere? I can't remember now. It's a shame that he seems like kind of a jerk in some ways, but in the end the chances of me spending much time with Aaron Sorkin are pretty slim, so the greater question is still whether I enjoy his writing. So far, it seems like I still do. We'll see how the Newsroom pans out.

I posted it in the Feminism thread, but I was interested in the comments and not Sorkin, althought that wasn't what people ended up focusing on.

I'm amazed anyone can take that journalist's side. The writer clearly has major issues. Asking someone, "Did you like really like it, or did you just not understand it?" is NOT an insult. One of those two things are usually the reason I re-watch anything and, as I pointed out in the other thread, often if the audience hasn't understood something it's the author's fault. How she took that to mean she was too dumb to understand it, and therefore a massive insult, just gives us an embarrassing insight into her own insecurities.

Sorkin can be a dick (there was a whole thing about a writer on The West Wing which he had to apologise profusely for) and yes, I do agree that The Social Network was sexist (sorry, but it was). Does that mean Sorkin is sexist or being a dick in that article? Nope.

It reminded me a lot of Sports Night (and not just because the show-within-the-show is called "News Night"). There seem to be a lot of direct character parallels, too, most obviously with Sam Waterson's character mapping very closely to Robert Guillaume's.

I liked the first episode a lot, in any case. Feeling a little like a Sports Night reboot is, if anything, a positive.

For the curious, looks like HBO put the first episode up on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U4ZhFDFYvE&hd=1

It reminded me a lot of Sports Night (and not just because the show-within-the-show is called "News Night"). There seem to be a lot of direct character parallels, too, most obviously with Sam Waterson's character mapping very closely to Robert Guillaume's.

Agreed, that character definitely is close. The first episode also reminded me a lot of the start of Studio 60, because in both they're kind of rebooting a show and bringing new people in. The difference is the new people in this case do not include the main character, but there is also the "now I'm working with my ex-girlfriend who I never got over again" angle as well.

One (potential) strength of this series is that the setting is a lot better suited to Sorkin's brand of "There's some important stuff going on here" gravitas that Studio 60 couldn't really sustain, given that it was about a sketch comedy show. The West Wing was obviously the king of gravitas, because that's what you pretty much have to do if you're going to make a show about the white house. I think given his style, a news show is probably the next best subject.