ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I really want to see Vampire's Kiss. Have I seen the two best bits already though?

Those aren't even anywhere close to the two best bits. For example, at one point Cage literally cries by saying "BOO HOO" because he wanted to see if he could get away with it. Also his accent is so affected as to be hilarious. A++ comedy.

I don't even want to spoil most of the crazy stuff that happens because it's best to just see how far he takes the role.

Sooo... Prometheus.

I don't want to taint the expectations of anyone who hasn't seen it yet by posting my opinion (you can read it here, if you really want to know -- spoilers abound). But I'm interesting in hearing everyone else's reaction.

After a few mention on this forum, I watched The Smell of Success and the two seasons of Louie.

Maybe Louie is not meant to be caught up on all at once since I got a tired of the dicks and balls jokes from the stand-up segments pretty quickly. Because, beyond that, it's a pretty fantastic show, with consistently brilliant characterisation.

Overall, it sorts of navigates the soap opera and sketch genres without being pointless or repetitive, which is a feat in itself. It's also more subtle, inventive and deep that what I expected from a comedian first TV writing job. This is somewhat more true for the 1st season than the 2nd, which felt more formulaic (hey more impromptu death and more hobos) , but I can't dismiss Pamela's character and the lovely quiproquo cliffhanger ending.

Anyway, I wonder if season 1's doctor-in-the-church segment (featuring the

but underused Tom Noonan) holds any truth to it.

The Smell of Success is the great movie advertised by Chris and TheLastBaron; it has great performances and is full of a healthy cynicism that still manages to end on a happy note that doesn't look out of place.

A few random thoughts:

• I'm really surprised by how much the smearing issue fits the post-McCarthysm area - I'm not sure a lot of movie would be bold enough to be that current.
  • The whole sequence in the restaurant which leads the first scene between Lancaster, Curtis and the Senator is now probably among my favorite in terms of editing, framing and direction. And the dialogs that follows

"
Mr. Falco, let it be said at once, is a man of 40 faces, not one - none too pretty, and all deceptive."
Genius
  • The only disturbing thing is - and don't read that if you don't want to risk not being able to unsee it -
    is that a few of Susan Harrison's expression are frighteningly close to Michael Cera's face

Any other movies of the same era to recommend ? If possible, without without emotionally abusive relationships, I've been getting a lot of those in books and movies recently.

I saw it last night and me and my mates feel pretty much the same as you thunderpeel. I'll leave more until more people have seen it.

After a few mention on this forum, I watched The Smell of Success and the two seasons of Louie.

Maybe Louie is not meant to be caught up on all at once since I got a tired of the dicks and balls jokes from the stand-up segments pretty quickly. Because, beyond that, it's a pretty fantastic show, with consistently brilliant characterisation.

Overall, it sorts of navigates the soap opera and sketch genres without being pointless or repetitive, which is a feat in itself. It's also more subtle, inventive and deep that what I expected from a comedian first TV writing job. This is somewhat more true for the 1st season than the 2nd, which felt more formulaic (hey more impromptu death and more hobos) , but I can't dismiss Pamela's character and the lovely quiproquo cliffhanger ending.

Anyway, I wonder if season 1's doctor-in-the-church segment (featuring the

but underused Tom Noonan) holds any truth to it.

The Smell of Success is the great movie advertised by Chris and TheLastBaron; it has great performances and is full of a healthy cynicism that still manages to end on a happy note that doesn't look out of place.

A few random thoughts:

• I'm really surprised by how much the smearing issue fits the post-McCarthysm area - I'm not sure a lot of movie would be bold enough to be that current.
  • The whole sequence in the restaurant which leads the first scene between Lancaster, Curtis and the Senator is now probably among my favorite in terms of editing, framing and direction. And the dialogs that follows

"
Mr. Falco, let it be said at once, is a man of 40 faces, not one - none too pretty, and all deceptive."
Genius

• The only disturbing thing is - and don't read that if you don't want to risk not being able to unsee it -
    is that a few of Susan Harrison's expression are frighteningly close to Michael Cera's face

Any other movies of the same era to recommend ? If possible, without without emotionally abusive relationships, I've been getting a lot of those in books and movies recently.

The Apartment by Billy Wilder was made three years later and is another of my favorite films--on some days it is my favorite film. It is similarly ahead of its time and masterfully constructed.

Sooo... Prometheus.

I don't want to taint the expectations of anyone who hasn't seen it yet by posting my opinion (you can read it here, if you really want to know -- spoilers abound). But I'm interesting in hearing everyone else's reaction.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. It wasn't bad, but just very disappointing. And the Guy Pierce thing just.. made no sense.

I got my totally unnecessary UK deluxe Blu-ray edition of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in the mail today. It has a film cell. It's pretty sweet, and totally unnecessary.

Really dug Prometheus, as it fiercely resisted falling into any of the genres it skips across and occupies this strange, inscrutable middle in the process. I actually found it to be a strength, and satisfying in that it basically frustrates almost everything you'd want from an Alien prequel except for a dumb, condescending, tacked-on scene that's easily separable from the rest of the film's success. It certainly feels like an echo of the original, of what was left behind when Cameron got involved. There's a little bit of speeching towards the end that's kind of annoying, but the rest is marvelous.

Also, you MUST see it in 3D, if only for the vistas and gorgeous holographic displays. It really showcases the strengths of the tech, though I'm still not convinced of its widespread application.

I thought Prometheus was super goddamn lame. Especially the ending. Annoying, too, because I love the idea. The basic plot is right up my alley. I guess I just went into it expecting a movie with MORE plot. There's nothing to it beyond what was in the trailer.

Except for the ending! UGH. I don't see why there was any need whatsoever to tie it to the Alien franchise. Also, guaranteed sequel? The end credits "scene" gives a goddamn date in October or something. The fuck.

Every single jump scare in the movie could be seen from a mile away, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, if you know what you're getting into.

I've never seen any Alien or Predator movie, FWIW.

Very good-looking movie, though. I mean, for what it is, anyway. Which is bleak, dark, black shit everywhere. U:

I just don't understand why they didn't hire an old actor to play and old man in Prometheus. OLD GUY MAKE-UP DOES NOT LOOK GOOD, HOLLYWOOD.

I just don't understand why they didn't hire an old actor to play and old man in Prometheus. OLD GUY MAKE-UP DOES NOT LOOK GOOD, HOLLYWOOD.

Oh god yeah that bothered the hell out of me I forgot all about it.

Also the old trope of

RUNNING IN A STRAIGHT LINE DOWN THE PATH OF A GIANT OBJECT ROLLING TOWARD YOU IS A STUPID IDEA

not really a spoiler but i mean you know whatever

A few things to add to my Prometheus experience :

1. On second viewing I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. In fact, I never intended to watch it again, because I honestly felt I'd seen all the film had to offer, but when I did, I had a surprising experience. I had to admit that, when I put aside my expectations, it held my attention and entertained me. I actually quite enjoyed it. That said, it's still a flawed movie. It's just not as bad as I first thought it was. I agree with Mark Kermode's assertion that "it's not quite a four star movie, but it's better than a three star movie".

2. If you're going in expecting a scary movie/Alien movie, then you're going to be disappointed. This is closer to 2001 than Alien, in many ways (just not as good as either of them).

3. Ridley Scott has said a couple of things: Firstly, it doesn't take place on the same planet seen in Alien. Secondly, it will take two more films for them to reach the beginning on Alien. So yes, it looks like there will be sequels... which kind of makes me forgive them more, even though there's no reason for it.

All I want to say on Prometheus (I'm neutral towards it mostly) is that Howard Taylor's mini-review got me reading The Engines of God, which is what Prometheus should have been.

Secondly, it will take two more films for them to reach the beginning on Alien.

Why does it even have to be a prequel to Alien? That's one of my biggest problems. It could have very easily stood on its own, but for some reason he wanted to take this seemingly unrelated thing and make it relate?

I guess the sequels (PLANNED SEQUELS, THE WORST, especially when the movie as it was had so little to offer they could've AT LEAST fit one more movie's worth of plot into it) will explain as much.

I guess I should also watch Alien, as many have told me to do so. I'm just not a big movie person. Grr.

I'm thinking the studio demanded it. He's been downplaying any relation to Alien in interviews.

Why does it even have to be a prequel to Alien? That's one of my biggest problems. It could have very easily stood on its own, but for some reason he wanted to take this seemingly unrelated thing and make it relate?

I guess I should also watch Alien, as many have told me to do so. I'm just not a big movie person. Grr.

If you'd seen Alien, you'd know how little this is like a prequel to Alien. There are some callbacks and one structural quirk near the end that's similar, but they're all more echoes than anything. Most of what was inscrutable and awesome about Alien stays inscrutable and awesome, which is one reason I was so pleased with the Prometheus after having been worried all this time.

Plus Alien has aged almost perfectly and is still a stunning-looking film today.

(Also I really need to watch Lawrence of Arabia now!)

If you'd seen Alien, you'd know how little this is like a prequel to Alien

I know it's only vaguely related, but the fact that it's related at all is stupid.

Also he can downplay it all he wants but

that ending

There definitely is "oh hey, Alien" moments but it is a pretty different movie. I'd see Alien, hell I want to see Alien again, it's been a long time since I've seen it

Oh I forgot to mention that the entire movie theater laughed when the credits started rolling. Like an "are you fucking kidding me" kinda laugh. It was great.

No reaction when I saw it. Overall I didn't hate the movie, but I wasn't totally engaged by it. By far the most interesting human was David, who is not human, so there's that.

Oh I forgot to mention that the entire movie theater laughed when the credits started rolling. Like an "are you fucking kidding me" kinda laugh. It was great.

The credits music was so off-tone, and the score was pretty bad as a whole. The gearing-up music that sounded like oboe meets fuzzy bass was ok, but the "this shit is wondrous" Williams stuff was always playing at the wrong moments and inappropriate and a bad imitation anyways.

The credits music was so off-tone, and the score was pretty bad as a whole. The gearing-up music that sounded like oboe meets fuzzy bass was ok, but the "this shit is wondrous" Williams stuff was always playing at the wrong moments and inappropriate and a bad imitation anyways.

I meant they were laughing at the ending! But I didn't like the music much, either, yeah. It was weird and didn't fit in a lot of places.

Also: I don't usually critique movies this much. I feel kind of weird. I don't hate it as much as it may seem from my posts. I was more disappointed than I was upset, as I felt it just didn't deliver on the potential. C'est la vie.