ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Citizen Kane is a movie.

(Just watched it for the first time.)

Pretty good, right?

I feel like yes, but for all the wrong reasons? Still processing.

I just watched the pilot of Touch. I can't think of a show I've seen in recent years that I disliked more. It literally made me mad.

I'm mostly posting this for an excuse to try out the new YouTube thing, but also I quite like the look of this trailer. (I also love a lot of Woody Allen stuff.)

There is a Skyfall trailer now:

[media=]

[/media]

The colours will, mostly, displease elmuerte. I was pleased to see the amount of muted tones, browns and almost monochromatic shots. It has a little dubsteppy bit near the end, and my housemate described it as "Wub Wub Seven".

[media=]

[/media]

The colours will, mostly, displease elmuerte. I was pleased to see the amount of muted tones, browns and almost monochromatic shots. It has a little dubsteppy bit near the end, and my housemate described it as "Wub Wub Seven".

He doesn't seem to be running particularly fast in the bit where he's running towards the camera. I hope he runs faster than that in the final film.

I'll of course be seeing it, because I unironically like James Bond films (even if, having read the books, I have nothing but disdain for the original Bond character/Bank's writing) but all I can think watching that trailer is, "I don't care how much you love the ladies, James, letting anyone else shave you is a terrible idea."

I feel like yes, but for all the wrong reasons? Still processing.

It's a hard film to appreciate on first watch, because of all the weight behind it. I personally really enjoyed it the first time, but the people I watched it with were literally expecting the best film evarrr!!!111. It's actually "just" really, really good, especially for its time.

[media=]

[/media]

I think the look of the film shown in this trailer is pretty fantastic. The quality of light across all of it is really nice. Roger Deakins!

I think the look of the film shown in this trailer is pretty fantastic. The quality of light across all of it is really nice. Roger Deakins!

I agree. Just saw this for the first time. I was surprised how nice it looked. Had no idea until I saw your reply that it's being shot by Roger Deakins. For that matter, had no idea until I looked it up that it's being directed by Sam Mendes. I guess I'm interested in this film.

Teaser for Paul Thomas Andersons' "The Master" has been released.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9oZDKFoCqAw[/media]

This looks incredible. PTA is one of my favorite active filmmakers.

Jesus Christ. What an amazing trailer. Yeah PT Anderson is fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite modern directors as well. The range he's demonstrated over his career is pretty incredible. One could easily imagine after his first few films him settling into a samey rut like his contemporary of the same surname, but he's really broadened hugely to great effect. Really impressive and awesome.

I love the work of both Deakins and Mendes, so I'm interested to see how they tackle a big blockbuster. There's enough to the 007 franchise to make me feel as if they're a good fit and for it. I generally am cautious when smaller directors dive into big action films, but I think Skyfall should end up being pretty good.

Jesus Christ. What an amazing trailer. Yeah PT Anderson is fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite modern directors as well. The range he's demonstrated over his career is pretty incredible. One could easily imagine after his first few films him settling into a samey rut like his contemporary of the same surname, but he's really broadened hugely to great effect. Really impressive and awesome.

For a second there, I was confused as to why you were comparing him to Paul W.S. Anderson and going "yeah, I guess he's in a rut of weird bad movies".

For a second there, I was confused as to why you were comparing him to Paul W.S. Anderson and going "yeah, I guess he's in a rut of weird bad movies".

Paul W.S. Anderson's rut of weird, bad movies began the moment he was born.

I've really liked P. T. Anderson since I was first shown Magnolia, but there was some undefinable quality to There Will be Blood (at least, one that I couldn't define), that made it absolutely fascinating and invigorating for me. I don't really know a great deal about films or anything, but I was so excited after seeing it, and the teaser for The Master suggests that quality, whatever it was, was not a fluke. I find that pretty thrilling.

I unironically like James Bond films (even if, having read the books, I have nothing but disdain for the original Bond character/Bank's writing)

Bank? Do you mean Ian Fleming, or am I misreading that?

There Will Be Blood is this incredible tale of greed, loneliness, and power while taking on capitalism and religion. Jonny Greenwood's score (who is returning for The Master) sets the tone and creates and adds to the unrelenting tension throughout. I don't need to comment on DDL's performance or PTA's directing. It's nearly pitch-perfect. I love every minute of it.

I could go on and on about Magnolia, it's one of my favorite films. Punch-Drunk Love and Boogie Nights are also pretty fantastic.

So yeah, I love PTA.

Whenever I read PTA I think of a parent-teacher association meeting, which is weird because I don't really know what it is.

I've really liked P. T. Anderson since I was first shown Magnolia, but there was some undefinable quality to There Will be Blood (at least, one that I couldn't define), that made it absolutely fascinating and invigorating for me. I don't really know a great deal about films or anything, but I was so excited after seeing it, and the teaser for The Master suggests that quality, whatever it was, was not a fluke. I find that pretty thrilling.

Bank? Do you mean Ian Fleming, or am I misreading that?

I do mean Ian Fleming, and even being immensely sleep deprived is no reason to mix up those two, of all people. Sorry!

Jonny Greenwood's score (who is returning for The Master) sets the tone and creates and adds to the unrelenting tension throughout. I don't need to comment on DDL's performance or PTA's directing. It's nearly pitch-perfect. I love every minute of it.

You're right, the Greenwood soundtrack is a large part of what's exciting about TWBB and that trailer. I think what I find most impressive is what a cohesive whole it forms a part of (even the stuff composed for Bodysong). And yes, there is an amazing tension to it all. When somebody mentions tension, though, my assumption is thriller-style plot-based tension; in TWBB, the tension is character-based. aAt least, that's how I see it.

I could go on and on about Magnolia, it's one of my favorite films. Punch-Drunk Love and Boogie Nights are also pretty fantastic.

I do love those films, too, but for me TWBB is his best work yet.

Boogie Nights was amazing -- just pitch perfect. I found Magnolia to be a beautiful mess. Never really got onboard with Punch-Drunk Love. There Will Be Blood was astounding. I haven't seen Hard Eight.

Speaking of which. If you liked There Will Be Blood, I'd highly recommend The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Another outrageously fantastic film from the same year.