ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I have a question. Is liking professional wrestling wrong? I don't like the sport itself, there's no grace or point to it. But I love the spectacle. I love these bizarre pre-fight dramas and tune out during the actual fighting. It's like the worlds worst Hamlet adaptation.

My thoughts on it exactly. I officially declare that grown-ups are allowed to watch professional wrestling.

My thoughts on it exactly. I officially declare that grown-ups are allowed to watch professional wrestling.

grownups.png

Oh boy are you missing out

-xIYVw3ZPJk

Hahaha! Not what I was expecting. :tup:

See, they don't pull shit like that in the WWE. And boy do I wish they did, I would tune in every week without fail.

I finally saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last week. I didn't mention it then, because I was kind of confused by it and wanted to mull it over a little, trying to understand what it exactly was. I haven't been able to discern it. Does it make more 'sense' if you've read the book? It's not exactly the plot that confuses me, just to clarify, rather I didn't fully comprehend what this film was about. What was it trying to say? It had all these themes and wonderful stories and I was very interested throughout, but I was constantly waiting for it to make a point. I'd be very grateful if someone were to offer me a point of entry for this, I feel I'm missing some vital piece of information to understanding.

Shaky cam bothers me as it's a dumb mechanic, it doesn't make sense. There's only 1 reason why you would have a shaky cam, and that's that there's a character present through which you observe the action. In most movies, it's not a character, it's just a floating camera. If that's the case, then why would it shake?

While I do sometimes find shaky-cam an irritating affectation, I think it's nonsense to imply that the camera serves no purpose other than to capture performance, and that it's inherently desirable for the camera to be steady and impassive. The agitated movement of a shaking camera can introduce tension to a shot, and is evocative of documentary and news footage in which stable camera-work is not an option, suggesting veracity and naturalness. It doesn't always work, and it isn't always well-placed, but I don't think there are rules as to how we should be thinking of the visual perspective, or how it should or shouldn't be used to produce an effect.

That said, I can see why one might be totally against it. One might find its imperfection an unfailing reminder of the physical existence of the camera, an object which doesn't exist in the fiction of the film. For others, however, it's merely part of the language of film, and no more a distraction than film grain, post-production image manipulation, or non-diegetic music. I mean, I find it weird that nobody in musicals acknowledges that everyone periodically breaks out in song, especially since there isn't usually any instrumentation actually present, and that stands in the way of my enjoyment of a lot of those films, but I don't think that rules it out as a legitimate form of expression.

I finally saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last week. I didn't mention it then, because I was kind of confused by it and wanted to mull it over a little, trying to understand what it exactly was. I haven't been able to discern it. Does it make more 'sense' if you've read the book? It's not exactly the plot that confuses me, just to clarify, rather I didn't fully comprehend what this film was about. What was it trying to say? It had all these themes and wonderful stories and I was very interested throughout, but I was constantly waiting for it to make a point. I'd be very grateful if someone were to offer me a point of entry for this, I feel I'm missing some vital piece of information to understanding.

I would recommend reading the book, aye.

A point to be made from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy... I don't know. I never really found one myself. Perhaps, if I had to find one, I would say that you should look towards "the illusion of control".

I'm not sure there's really an idea to be gleaned from TTSS. It may just be a good suspense novel.

Community is incredible.

I've been really disappointed by the 3rd series. So much so that I think I will stop watching it. The first half was good, then they had the Chrimbo break - just seems to have gone right downhill. Britta, Geoff now really shit me, and even Abed is a bit rubbish now.

What, what, whaaat? It's been awesome!

My system, in which the longer I watch a show, the longer the period becomes in which the show is allowed to be worse than it would have to be to get me to watch it in the first place, has proven very useful so far. I don't think Community is at its very best right now, but it's been very good for so long it'll have to be pretty bad for pretty long for me not to bother investing the twenty or so minutes a week watching it.

My system, in which the longer I watch a show, the longer the period becomes in which the show is allowed to be worse than it would have to be to get me to watch it in the first place, has proven very useful so far. I don't think Community is at its very best right now, but it's been very good for so long it'll have to be pretty bad for pretty long for me not to bother investing the twenty or so minutes a week watching it.

Haha! I didn't realise I had this system until I read this.

I'll probably let it go on for a few weeks and catch up in one big lot.

Really looking forward to the new series of The Big C. It's always made me laugh at times, and countless times I've found that I had something in my eye. Not quite the same power as 'This is England...' to go from crying to laughter, but still great.

You're right, Scrobbs, I was thinking about season 2 which had a great finale. Haven't seen any of season 3 as I tend to wait until I can see the whole thing.

You're right, Scrobbs, I was thinking about season 2 which had a great finale. Haven't seen any of season 3 as I tend to wait until I can see the whole thing.

Think the first ep airs in about 5 days or something. The end of the 2nd series was a right punch in the guts.

When Cathy reached the end of the marathon, and saw Adam turn around and say "Dad's not here yet." and yet she saw him standing next to Marlene, and then collapsed... I sat there and thought, "That's CAN'T be the end of the series. Surely. Oh."

Haha, I was talking about Community, I don't know anything about a marathon.

Watch Remedial Chaos Theory then.

WCNKahG1ksg

I'm looking forward to this. I really enjoyed Rian Johnson's first film, Brick, and am hopefully for good things with this.