ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Yeah, Immortals was pretty bad.

Currently in theatres, I can vouch for Chronicle. A surprisingly fine movie that knows how to build up its momentum very deliberately.

I thought it was weird that the trailer is basically just the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trailer, but they replaced it with BSG scenes.

Yeah, this is a little weird (Fincher did a MUCH better job, too). And the logo reminds me of the font they used to use on Red Dwarf. The whole project has signs that it's been struggling. Still, it could turn out to be great. We'll see.

WVLvMg62RPA

Yeah :grin:

I have one joyful recommendation: 15 Storeys High just appeared on Netflix in the UK, and I hadn't heard of it before. It has Sean Lock in, is pretty weird, and I'm finding it very funny. In one episode, he buys canned

Puffin Chunks

:)

Yeah, this is a little weird (Fincher did a MUCH better job, too). And the logo reminds me of the font they used to use on Red Dwarf. The whole project has signs that it's been struggling. Still, it could turn out to be great. We'll see.

WVLvMg62RPA

I also kind of see it as trying to link it with another classic rock song, like how the first series revolved around All Along the Watchtower. So I guess we'll get space cylon vikings and perhaps some hobbits?

We watched recently Scorcese's Hugo.

I got just one sentence to say about it.

Teal and orange. :(

We watched recently Scorcese's Hugo.

I got just one sentence to say about it.

Teal and orange. :(

Haha! Yup! To the extent that Baron-Cohen's character has a teal uniform :D

Didn't we kill this complaint already?

Well, not really. You put forth an argument as to why it should be no longer an issue. It (T'n'O, not your argument :) ) bothers me to the point that I can't accept it. It would have been better had it not been pointed out about in the first place.

As I recall, you killed elmuerte's complaint that it was lazy filmmaking.

It's not lazy filmmaking, but it is aesthetically boring, dominant at the moment, and highly exaggerated. It's become a dull and repetitive colour palette, often applied in wildly inappropriate ways. Case in point: darkroom scene in I Am Number Four.

There are

many other
, and so much symbolic meaning to people in colour. Grading everything into high contrast, high saturation complimentary colours is sometimes appropriate, but it's sugary to an extreme. I don't need my thrillers to go down like candy, thanks.

I really want to see The Hunger Games. Does anyone else want to see The Hunger Games? I really do.

Hey, I will fight you sir.

I'll have Rodi's back on this one.

Re. O&T, maybe I just can't see it unless it's a movie poster, but I don't remember Hugo being like that at all. It was sepia tones, if anything, with Melies-inspired splashes of different bright colours.

FULL BLOWN RANT WARNING

(Apologies in advance.)

What's more dull and boring than watching an orange and teal colour palette is listening to someone complain about it. I am SO sick of people thinking they've made an insightful comment about a film by complaining about orange and teal. It's the worst example of armchair criticism I can think of. People with no understanding or appreciation for cinematography suddenly think they've got a valid point to make.

It's not interesting. You're not smart for noticing. And it's the worst possible criteria for judging a film.

HUGO is a fantastic movie (if a little slow). There's so many wonderful things to discuss about it. To have the entire thing summed up as "I got just one sentence to say about it. Teal and orange. :(" is absolutely fucking mindblowing. Not least because it's FUCKING BEAUTIFUL. It won the Oscar for best Cinematography and Art Direction this year, for chrissakes.

Another beautiful film, one of the most beautiful of last year, DRIVE, was similarly dismissed recently.

full-bleed.jpg

I don't care much about your rant, TP. In everyone's case, you're making generalisations about what they think and why they think it. In my case specifically, you're:

1. Confusing criticism of specific films with criticism of a general trend.
  2. Failing to answer this:

Grading everything into high contrast, high saturation complimentary colours is sometimes appropriate, but it's sugary to an extreme. I don't need my thrillers to go down like candy, thanks.

You can have the biggest ninny fit over it you like and come over all "How dare you even mention it when you're not a film maker!", but I find it unpleasant, I'm utterly entitled to that opinion, and can reason around it just fine thanks.

I don't care much about your rant, TP. In everyone's case, you're making generalisations about what they think and why they think it. In my case specifically, you're:

1. Confusing criticism of specific films with criticism of a general trend.
  2. Failing to answer this:

You can have the biggest ninny fit over it you like and come over all "How dare you even mention it when you're not a film maker!", but I find it unpleasant, I'm utterly entitled to that opinion, and can reason around it just fine thanks.

My rant wasn't specifically aimed at you, or your comments. Thinking that a film could be better served by a different colour palette is obviously perfectly reasonable (although I'm not sure I could agree that orange and teal could be described as "sugary"). I have no issue with that.

I have issue with writing off an entire film, or its cinematography and art direction, because it's palette is orange and teal.

I really want to see The Hunger Games. Does anyone else want to see The Hunger Games? I really do.

Bought my tickets 3 days ago.

I know someone who saw a preview and she said it was excellent. I'm looking forward to it.

In other news: I saw TITANIC for the first time ever... And in 3D to boot. I feel kind of ashamed to admit that I actually really liked it. Yes, there's cheesy moments, but I still really enjoyed it. And the 3D was EXCELLENT (almost as good as Avatar's).

I didn't see the earlier discussion about the subject so sorry if I stuck a stick in to the ant nest, but that o&t fact stopped me of enjoying the movie.

It was a heart warming movie plotwise, but my eyes hurt for most of the movie. So I'll end my part on Hugo discussion now.

I have problems with Lotr:Fotr these days also because the Prancing Pony scene looks like overdone crap because of the heavy orange use. i didn't notice it ten years ago, but it just sticks out too much.

It was a heart warming movie plotwise, but my eyes hurt for nost of the movie.

It's crazy to me that it hurt your eyes, but I'm sorry that it did. It's a lovely film, and I found it gorgeous to look at.

hugo-movie-2011-470x242.jpg

I saw The Hunger Games two days ago and it was pretty good!

It wasn't as good as Battle Royale, but it had more than enough going for it to make it a 'blockbuster' actually worth your while, in contrast to for instance John Carter.

Actually, my coworkers decided on Monday night that going for beer and then watching John Carter was a good idea, so I tagged along. I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't great, sure, but it was fun enough. The bits with the Thark (four armed big green dudes) were pretty good, while the bits with the space-Romans (is that what the human/martians were supposed to be? Whatever) were pretty tiresome. I enjoyed enough of that movie to recommend it to someone looking for a way to kill a couple of hours, but not enough to see it again myself. In a weird way, it made me want to watch Riddick again. I still kinda like that movie...