ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

It was excellent piece of cinema for sure. The plot – or more to the point – the subject matter just didn't work for me as well as all the other aspects of the movie. Very much a personal thing.

I had read next to nothing about the film beforehand, but when it was revealed that

Irene's husband was being extorted, I immediately knew where it all was headed and that nobody will be happy by the end of this film, and I was sad.

And everyone was sad.

:)

I didn't take it that way at all, considering the alternative.

Our hero managed to protect the woman and the kid, which is what he always seemed to be about.

I hope the above conversation didn't spoil Drive for those with poor self-control who haven't seen the movie... It's BRILLIANT and should be seen ASAP.

I recently re-watched a couple of classics I hadn't seen in years:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - A (sort of) post-modernist, buddy-movie from the guy who pretty much invented the genre, with an added film-noir twist. Very clever and witty (beware those who dislike snappy dialogue), and has nice twists and surprises for those who have seen too many movies and know tropes off by heart. A cool Robert Downey Jr movie before he became cool again. Loved it!

Withnail & I - Holy crap. This was far funnier than I had remembered. My first time watching it was spent feeling revolted, but this time I into a lot more. Kind of like The Big Lebowski -- it took a few watches to understand it. Either way, hugely enjoyable movie.

Can we start a conversation in spoiler tags I wonder? Who will crack and look at it immediately with no reference as to what it's about? Wonder how long we can carry it on before...well, anything happens.

Let's not.

Yes and on that note at least try to give a hint as to what the content of your own black bars is (not you in particular, but people in this thread specifically, having whole conversations in black bars). True, you can get the hint by scrolling up, but that becomes more of a chore when conversations wrap to the next page...

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Yes and on that note at least try to give a hint as to what the content of your own black bars is (not you in particular, but people in this thread specifically, having whole conversations in black bars). True, you can get the hint by scrolling up, but that becomes more of a chore when conversations wrap to the next page...

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Sometimes I'm writing on my phone, and spoiler tags become a huge pain in the arse to move around. Otherwise I do think it's good to leave a bit of context.

Saw Lars Von Trier's Melancholia last night. If you're up for a slow, semi-depressing (but not on the level of Dancer In The Dark or Dogville) film, this is great. Strong performances and a great mix of Von Trier's Dogme '95 style with more polish.

Edited by bbX1138

I saw a Norwegian film called Troll Hunter the other day and want to recommend it. It's all Blair Witch/found footage style camera work and going in I was expecting a horror film. It's actually more of a mocumentary with a great script and sense of humour. I had a smile on my face the entire time and the atmosphere in the small independent cinema I was in was amazing. It's subtitled which I mention only because getting a seat with a clear view of the bottom of the screen is essential! I had to peer over some guys massive mess of hair.

I don't want to link to the trailer because I feel it give's too much away (I didn't see the trailer before going), but here's a review from the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/sep/08/troll-hunter-film-review

The trolls themselves look just like scandiavian trolls should too. Obviously inspired by the classic John Bauer, they also reminded me of Paul Bonner's take on them.

I've been vaguely considering seeing Troll Hunter somewhere, or importing the DVD or something. There is apparently a dubbed version of the film as well as a subtitled version, does anyone have any insight on whether seeing a dubbed version would totally ruin my experience? I don't really have an established position on dubbed/subtitled in general and I don't really know the tone of the film well enough to have any kind of opinion this time so I'd appreciate any information.

I've been vaguely considering seeing Troll Hunter somewhere, or importing the DVD or something. There is apparently a dubbed version of the film as well as a subtitled version, does anyone have any insight on whether seeing a dubbed version would totally ruin my experience? I don't really have an established position on dubbed/subtitled in general and I don't really know the tone of the film well enough to have any kind of opinion this time so I'd appreciate any information.

I think the subtitled version would be preferable. Troll Hunter is in the vein of Rare Exports (which I slightly preferred), but still very enjoyable. Probably more so if you know nothing about it (as I did with Rare Exports).

Not sure where you live that you'd need to import the DVD. I'm sure it's available in most territories. It recently had a cinema release here in the UK.

I'm in the UK but I took a look on Amazon and it seemed like there were only region 1 DVD imports?

I had a quick look for a DVD after seeing it and found the same thing Gwardinen.

I think it's worth finding out if any independent cinemas near you are showing it, the ones near me usually have stuff a while after it's come and gone at the bigger ones. I don't even know if this has been at the bigger cinemas to be honest.

I'd also recommend the subtitled version. It's set in Norway after all and it's an important part of the whole experience in my view.

It's coming out on DVD here in January, apparently.

In worse news, play.com no longer has the 'US' button that lets UK customers buy Region 1 DVDs for regular prices.

Oh god the dubbed version is terrible. Not sure about the movie in general ,TBH.

I don't seem to be able to log in anywhere on that site. Am I being dense?

Gwardinen, The Prince Charles in London is playing Troll Hunter at least until Thursday. Not sure where you're located but, as F4T C4T says, if London is no good for you, it will hopefully also still be in indie cinemas around the country.

I don't seem to be able to log in anywhere on that site. Am I being dense?

Huh. It seems they finally closed that part of their site down... I guess PlayUSA is on its way out, too. Now you just pay via PayPal. Weird.

How annoying. There's MovieTyme, but they were always really expensive as I recall. Bummer.

Gwardinen, The Prince Charles in London is playing Troll Hunter at least until Thursday. Not sure where you're located but, as F4T C4T says, if London is no good for you, it will hopefully also still be in indie cinemas around the country.

Going to London to watch a film would be a rather expensive night out for me. I'll see if I can figure out a way to watch it sometime soon, and I'll try to head for the subtitled version if I do.