ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Drive is an interesting and stylish movie. The pacing and editing are great, as is Ryan Gosling's performance. I'm not a big fan of intentionally "weird" characters who are "weird" because they don't have a past, but this movie pulled that off. It's blatantly ridiculous and show-offy in some ways, but a good movie nonetheless.

Drive is an interesting and stylish movie. The pacing and editing are great, as is Ryan Gosling's performance. I'm not a big fan of intentionally "weird" characters who are "weird" because they don't have a past, but this movie pulled that off. It's blatantly ridiculous and show-offy in some ways, but a good movie nonetheless.

I literally just finished it and came here to post mostly the same thing. It felt sort of artsy, which I'm sure they were going for. There are couple problems that I had with it, but overall I was pleasantly surprised by it. Definitely worth a watch.

Lots of shows are starting up this week, one of which is the terrible piece of shit Terra Nova. It's great that someone is willing to spend a lot of money on a science-fiction show, but when they apparently go for the most bland, family-friendly thing you can imagine, and the show looks like ass, it's like they should've spent that money on maybe ten cheaper shows. It has Steven Spielberg's name on it, but instead of the awesome Saving Private Ryan Jurassic Park Early Indiana Jones Back to the Future Schindler's List Spielberg they got the terrible Lost World Last Indiana Jones Transformers The Terminal one.

If I were to start watching Doctor Who now, where should I start? Would it be too confusing to start from the eleventh doctor (?) episodes? The Wikipedia episode listing is mind-boggling.

If I were to start watching Doctor Who now, where should I start? Would it be too confusing to start from the eleventh doctor (?) episodes? The Wikipedia episode listing is mind-boggling.

Just start with Christopher Eccleston. They're pretty well self-contained.

You can start with the Eleventh Doctor fine, but I would recommend going back and seeing "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead" from the Tenth Doctor era first. There's a character introduced in that story that has come to be something significant in this current series.

You could also watch any episode written by Steven Moffat from the Ninth and Tenth Doctor seasons.

You can start with the Ninth Doctor too, but a lot of those episodes are hit and miss. The dude in charge of that era was a good showrunner but a bad writer.

I did compile a "Best Of" list that you can watch and enjoy (that list is now a little outdated, since it only covers episodes aired till that day). Watching that is fine also.

So, to sum-up:

1. Start with the Eleventh Doctor, but watch "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead" (in that order) first; optionally, watch Steven Moffat episodes from previous seasons for additional goodness;

OR 2. Start with the Ninth Doctor, watch until you catch up to the rest of us;

OR 3. Watch the episodes I've recommended and skip the rest! :)

Just start with Christopher Eccleston. They're pretty well self-contained.

Though if you do this, skip episodes four, five and eleven. My goodness, are they terrible. And all of them are either followed by or preceded by such excellence.

. . .watch Steven Moffat episodes from previous seasons for additional goodness. . .

Wait, does this mean you're only "recommending" Blink, Kroms? For shame.

:campbell: This is even more complicated than I thought! I think I'll just stick to Doc Martin for now.

Seriously though, thanks for the help!

Start from episode one. William Hartnell.

Boss.

(Don't do this.)

Wait, does this mean you're only "recommending" Blink, Kroms? For shame.

"The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances", "The Girl in the Fireplace", "Blink" and "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead"! Well, and the Red Nose Day episode "Time Crash".

:campbell: This is even more complicated than I thought! I think I'll just stick to Doc Martin for now.

Seriously though, thanks for the help!

How do I always scare people away from things?

Latest Doctor Who: I really should have seen that coming.

I have watched two episodes of the newest 5th season and so far I think I might be enjoying it! Anxious to see which direction the doctors face will go next.

I have watched two episodes of the newest 5th season and so far I think I might be enjoying it! Anxious to see which direction the doctors face will go next.

Hurray! Well, I'm going to interject here. I watched it like you did, and since you're retracing my steps...

1. At this point, watch "Blink" from series 3.

2. Watch "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead" from series 4.

You don't have to, but they bring back things from those two episodes in series 5.

Plus, both episodes are what the British would call "belters".

Latest Doctor Who: I really should have seen that coming.

Me too.

Of course it's the Teselecta. I don't get the regeneration bit - I guess that was a light show.

I really loved the cheeky question. Really, very clever. Very meta, too.

My only major qualm is, why bother get married? Was there a point to it?

Ask your parents.

Didn't like the episode, but that's almost always the case for me with this type. Give me one offs.

I didn't really like this Dr Who season. I prefer more isolated episodes. This was just a large story arc.

You two might be happy about next series, then. (I enjoyed the arc, personally. It was thematically interesting.)

Clearly, you have a season-long arc in mind. Do you look at it as season to season?

Moffat:

[season to season], because you never know what’s going to happen and you want to be allowed new possibility. I always tend to favor the newer idea…I was saying to my writers, “Don’t think of your next episode yet: you’ll be bored of it by the time you get there…” Obviously, this year I had to think about it a little more carefully, because I knew what we were going to do with River, half of which you’ve already seen. This is the most arc-intensive we’ve ever been and I’m throwing the lever the other way next year.

Boldings my own. This is the source.

Me too.

Of course it's the Teselecta. I don't get the regeneration bit - I guess that was a light show.

I really loved the cheeky question. Really, very clever. Very meta, too.

I was wondering how they pulled off the

regeneration

as well.

As for getting married, maybe that in itself is fixed? Maybe they have to be? *Shrug*

I was wondering how they pulled off the

regeneration

as well.

It's a lightshow. Here's an answer from Moffat

Edited by Kroms

I just finished Cambridge Spies (loyal comrades). While it was a bit too British and poor in some cases it was still nice to see a spy-fiction in which people aren't cynic alcoholics (while some of the cast become) but rather ideological warriors, fighting for their cause.