ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Late as always to the party, I just watched Thor and don't have anything positive to say about it.

To be fair, the dissonance between Thor's attitude and the reality of life on earth is pretty hilarious, especially in the diner.

I always forget how short the seasons are for Doctor Who. ):

I wish they would stop doing all the creepy/melancholy episodes. I need some fun episodes, tooooo. Guess it was probably appropriate for this week, though, and it wasn't really that creepy in the end. Still.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was masterfully made. Very slow and beautiful. But it didn't knock my socks off. The ending felt pretty obvious, and it didn't emotionally resonate with me. But it was still very good. I kind of feel I need to watch it again..... But maybe with a less restless audience.

Yes, I really liked the overall mood of it, but the ending felt rather flat. I guess that might be true to the book, which I haven't read.

I didn't realize it was directed by the same guy as Let the Right On In, anyway. I really like that film, although I think I love the book a little more.

To be fair, the dissonance between Thor's attitude and the reality of life on earth is pretty hilarious, especially in the diner.

Him throwing the mug on the ground was probably the best bit of that film. It was kind of weird watching a superhero film where I was enjoying the comedy a lot more than the action.

As seems to be a common complaint, I think Thor would have been a better movie if it had just been 120 minutes of adventure through Norse mythology.

What a lovely Doctor Who this week. Last week was OK too.

Are you talking about "The Girl Who Waited" being "OK"? Thought it was phenomenal. It had a good idea and it explored it really well.

Yeah, that last Doctor Who episode, "The God Complex" (it has more than one meaning...) was really good too. This series, while having a bad episode and two very underwhelming ones, has been really strong. From 1960s America to the galaxy's second best vacation resort, it's mostly been terrific.

Are you talking about "The Girl Who Waited" being "OK"? Thought it was phenomenal. It had a good idea and it explored it really well.

No, I wasn't! Yeah, I realized I forgot about that episode. The one with the doll house was OK though not great. "The Girl Who Waited" was excellent.

Nice, I wanted to check out Apollo 18, but apparently the movie is not coming at all to Finland. It was supposed to come last week on friday. The local theater has removed it from their pages and when I asked about that today they replied that the movie will not have any copies circulating in Finland. :tdown:

Nice, I wanted to check out Apollo 18, but apparently the movie is not coming at all to Finland. It was supposed to come last week on friday. The local theater has removed it from their pages and when I asked about that today they replied that the movie will not have any copies circulating in Finland. :tdown:

It got bad to middling reviews, and it'll probably work just as well/better on telly anyway.

Yeah, have to wait for the dvd and rent it then. It's not a movie I'd like to own, but I would like to watch it once.

Good thing that there are other movies to watch as I have to go watch Le Havre and Cowboys & Aliens during this weekend and next week before both go away from the movie theater.

Community is back! Omar Little as the Biology professor? YES. John Goodman as vice Dean? YES. :clap:

I just saw the very first English language screening of "Les Aventures Extraordinaires D'Adele Blanc-Sec" (The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec). If you haven't heard of it, it's because the movie has only been released in French up til now. First in Europe, and then in Quebec. The Calgary International Film Fest really wanted to show the film, and contacted the producers to make a subtitled version. The very first screening of it was just put on by yours truly, and I watched the entire thing because it was phenomenal. If a lady Indiana Jones riding a pterodactyl and raising a bunch of mummies to roll through 1911 Paris with, this is a movie for you. It's also a Luc Besson film, if that helps. This film needs to be seen by everyone. Hopefully now that a translation exists it will get a wider release somehow. I haven't seen a movie that is so purely fun in a long time. It's goddamned joyous. Check it out.

Sounds like a ton of fun! My home cinema sucks at bringing anything that's not Hollywood, so I hadn't even heard of it. I have a weak spot for European cinema. There are so many good French movies. Have you seen Bonjour Chez Les Ch'tis from a few years back? Such a good comedy.

I just saw the very first English language screening of "Les Aventures Extraordinaires D'Adele Blanc-Sec" (The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec). If you haven't heard of it, it's because the movie has only been released in French up til now. First in Europe, and then in Quebec. The Calgary International Film Fest really wanted to show the film, and contacted the producers to make a subtitled version. (...) Hopefully now that a translation exists it will get a wider release somehow. I haven't seen a movie that is so purely fun in a long time. It's goddamned joyous. Check it out.

That's weird, there was an English-language release over here back in April, and the DVD/Blu-ray came out in August. I missed out on seeing it, sadly, but heard it was good from critic pals. Were CIFF touting it as an English language premiere?

Ooh, but they're showing Kill List, too. That's a good one.

Edited by Nevsky

When you guys say English language version, you mean English subtitles, right?

I just saw a new Dutch movie, De Bende van Oss (The Gang of Oss), which premiered just now. This is a fictionalized account of a little-known piece of Dutch history just before the second world war, when the southern city of Oss (then nick-named 'Chicago at the Meuse') was ruled by a gang of rural mobsters. The Hague sends a police force to the city to put things in order, but a bitter strife erupts.

I loved seeing this film, but that was heavily tainted by seeing and hearing things about my own country that I never knew more than the gist of, but the themes of which are still highly relevant. In particular the juxtaposition of the 'rural' south and east of my country versus the western provinces that hold political and economic power (Holland). These tensions still run under the skin today, even though they're not as severe as they were in the time the movie is set in.

At its root the film is a highly enjoyable, grim tale of (un)organized crime, with a high dose of Dutch culture. Yes, that includes a plethora of sex scenes and some disturbing graphical images. But holy fuck, if you're Dutch you will shit bricks when you see the word crawl at the very end :tup:

I finally watched "Dark Knight". Awesome! Batman is still the only superhero thing I tolerate, but this one was brilliant.

Why I love Doctor Who:

"I just want to go home and be conquered and oppressed!"

Closing Up: Oh. . .Cybermen, my least favorite recurring Doctor Who enemy. Wonderful.

That is one kick-ass baby though. Peasants, ha.

Edited by Orvidos