ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

So uh, has Limitless been mentioned before?

I had a whole movie reviewer spiel set up for this post, but I decided I'd just say this.

Possibly the smartest, most entertaining movie I have seen in nigh on 4 years. Highly enjoyed.

Sorry to pipe in on the Cowboys Aliens thing.

Have you seen the kind of meatheads that make up a large portion of the Army? It would be nice if you saw two sides to the race in the film, the guys who fly the things and conduct the experiments and then the gung-ho arseholes who do the grunt work and take great delight in wasting the opposition up close and personal. You know, the ones who are conditioned by drill sargents and their academies as a whoel to kill without question. A Sci-Fi version of Generation Kill or the last portion of 28 days later where the Aliens are the soldier and the humans are the infected.

Yeah, quite a bit! I mentioned it here: http://idlethumbs.net/forums/showthread.php?p=170317#post170317

TP had mentioned it once before but he quotes that post in his reply to mine. And then we go on arguing about it for a bit whilst pretty much completely agreeing with each other, in that way we do.

Edited by bbX1138

TP had mentioned it once before but he quotes that post in his reply to mine. And then we go on arguing about it for a bit whilst pretty much completely agreeing with each other, in that way we do.

That's absolute nonsense. We actually needlessly debate with each other whilst saying the same thing in slightly different ways.

Can't we all just agree that you are both wrong? Not the two of you, obviously, but at least the rest of us.

That depends on your definition of "agreement" and "subjective".

Aaaanyway, I saw Columbiana and it was very forgettable, kind of halfway between the non-stop fun of the first Transporter and the melodramatic cool of Besson's better directorial efforts. Apparently it was going to be Leon 2 until there were studio disputes and it got retooled into this. I'm glad Leon 2 wasn't like this, but the general set-up could have been pretty cool (bringing Danny Aiello to the fore) and the idea of getting Portman back almost 20 years later could have had a great Before Sunrise/Before Sunset effect.

I had a whole movie reviewer spiel set up for this post, but I decided I'd just say this.

Possibly the smartest, most entertaining movie I have seen in nigh on 4 years. Highly enjoyed.

Is Limitless the Bradley Cooper/DiNero joint? If so I've seen it but can hardly remember anything else than thinking it was an incredibly shallow and ridiculous movie.

It seems that won't see eye-to-eye on many things…

Is Limitless the Bradley Cooper/DiNero joint? If so I've seen it but can hardly remember anything else than thinking it was an incredibly shallow and ridiculous movie.

:violin:

The last Futurama episode is absolutetively awesome. :tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

I especially enjoyed the 8bit segment.

Oh yes, that was quite brilliant. Great way to end the current run. Hopefully there will be more seasons in the future.

Basically my thoughts about the movie.

Same here, I didn't rate that "joint" too highly, either. BBX loved it, though.

WHAT?! We were about half a thumb different in our opinions on it, remember?

I saw Incendies last night.

It was probably the most harrowing experience I've had in years (I won't tell).

I don't really know what to do to get it out of my head. I don't even know what to say.

Edited by False Dmytro

WHAT?! We were about half a thumb different in our opinions on it, remember?

Yeah, but I only rate movies using one thumb.

(I forgot. I just remember you having really enjoyed it, like quite a few people I know.)

Oh yes, that was quite brilliant. Great way to end the current run. Hopefully there will be more seasons in the future.

I've heard some people say the newer Futurama episodes aren't as good as the older ones. Oddly, despite my love for Futurama past, I've never seen any of the newer episodes OR the movies. I'm currently rewatching the old and will then catch up on the new.

So I guess my question is: what's the general consensus on the quality of new Futurama? Better? Worse? Just as good? Worse but still worth the time?

Others seem to hate the movies for whatever reason. Myself, I believe that they're worse but worth the time. Also, they do sort of fit into the continuity of the new seasons, so I'd check them out. The new seasons start out a bit pander-y but I started to feel like they're hitting their stride and reaching a level of "just as good" about 3 episodes in. In short, it's all worth checking out, and the new stuff can be really good.

Yes, I found the movies to be so bad that I couldn't watch them. They were even worse than the "piracy is bad" episode. But I'm heartened to hear from several people that the new series is as good.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was masterfully made. Very slow and beautiful. But it didn't knock my socks off. The ending felt pretty obvious, and it didn't emotionally resonate with me. But it was still very good. I kind of feel I need to watch it again..... But maybe with a less restless audience.

Late as always to the party, I just watched Thor and don't have anything positive to say about it.