ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I don't know if the Bone movie is still getting made, but last I heard they were doing it with mo-cap, which is unfortunate and seems incredibly out of place. Maybe they will stop now that Zemeckis has consistantly failed so miserably?

But either way, sounds better than the earlier 3D Bone movie being worked on years ago with Nickelodeon producing that required song and dance sequences as well as someone (Thorn?) to be voiced by Britney Spears.

It's finally getting off the ground, apparently. They recently showed 4mins to Smith and he said it looked "amazing". I think it's three animated movies now.

Is it Disney? I hoped that fat hawaiian-shirt Pixar man would insist on hand-drawn rather than 3D, like with Princess And The Frog.

The new Monte Hellman film, Road to Nowhere (his first since 1989) is a pretty interesting take on the post-modern meta-film genre exemplified by Adaptation. If you're not familiar with Hellman, he directed Two-Lane Blacktop, an early seventies film starring James Taylor, Dennis Wilson (of the Beach Boys) and Warren Oates which is widely considered one of the great road/car movies of all time. I'm not sure I recommend the film for general audiences, but if you like the film-within-a-film genre, it's worth a look.

Saw the new Harry Potter and I have to say... I really enjoyed it. Still hated the Epilogue (so utterly, utterly narratively pointless) but possibly my favourite Potter movie. (And I really hated Part 1.) But overall, quite good! :tup:

Yeah, it was pretty good. I recommend trying your hardest to see it with an adult/respectful audience, because my enjoyment of it must have been halved by all the kids laughing whenever anything vaguely strange or uncomfortable or unexpected or tense or quiet happened, and the constant bubbling of whispered chitchat for the rest of the time. The structure is pretty fucked and a lot of moments are hopelessly fumbled but generally it's cool, with directorial flair (takes a few cues from LOTR) and has a nicely different feel to the rest of the films now it's full-out Harry Vs Voldemort.

I didn't think the structure was that fucked, really? The film manages to cut up the

Hogwarts siege

really well, segmenting it into all these different sub-adventures without losing momentum. The second time I saw it it was still as dazzling and entertaining as the first time.

Also, don't forget that it's the second part, so the movie doesn't take any time setting things up or explaining stuff -that's all handled by the first part.

I have my criticisms on the movie, minor ones, which for the most part were already in the book, but the structure is not one of them. It's a rather flawless film in my opinon!

Yeah, it was pretty good. I recommend trying your hardest to see it with an adult/respectful audience, because my enjoyment of it must have been halved by all the kids laughing whenever anything vaguely strange or uncomfortable or unexpected or tense or quiet happened, and the constant bubbling of whispered chitchat for the rest of the time. The structure is pretty fucked and a lot of moments are hopelessly fumbled but generally it's cool, with directorial flair (takes a few cues from LOTR) and has a nicely different feel to the rest of the films now it's full-out Harry Vs Voldemort.

I would have gone out of my mind and machine gunned the lot of them.

Just seen the trailer to The Amazing Spiderman, and to be frank, it looks like they should be taken to the cleaners by the ASA.:fart:

That trailer didn't make it seem fun at all. Spider-Man was always kind of whimsical and light-hearted, but now they're trying to Dark Knight it up and it takes the flavor right out.

Tekkon Kinkreet.

Holy shit.

Awesome.

:tup: :tup: :tup::buyme::tup:

:buyme::buyme::buyme:

Awesome, glad you lenjoyed it. One of my favorite animated movies ever.

Now go download Mind Game for free because no one felt it was important enough to release here.

Britney would totally be Grandma Ben.

Maybe they were going to add a Minnie Mouse type of Bone with a bow and skirt in the story that would be created to look very similar to Britney? Kids love when the celebrity voice actors look similar to the character.

That trailer didn't make it seem fun at all. Spider-Man was always kind of whimsical and light-hearted, but now they're trying to Dark Knight it up and it takes the flavor right out.

I started watching it and couldn't... I still like Raimi's Spiderman. Why's it gone?

Toby didn't want to go anymore. I disagree that it looks like Raimi's Spider-Man, Raimi put so much charm and fun into it. From what this trailer shows, it has none of that. But I might be wrong!

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that. I'd be less concerned if it were being done by Pixar, but adapting a comic would be completely outside their MO, so I'd be concerned for a different reason.

Maybe not the new Pixar that seems to just churn out endless sequels that are fairly crappy, but still better then anyone out there, sadly.

Only Cars and Cars 2 has been really sub-par, to my knowledge. The only other sequels they've done are Toy Story... right? (Am I forgetting something?) I loved all the TS movies.

Maybe not the new Pixar that seems to just churn out endless sequels that are fairly crappy, but still better then anyone out there, sadly.

I don't think Pixar are the best. They've made excellent movies (Brad Bird's and Andrew Stanton's especially), but they've also made mediocre ones.

Hell, I think Henry Selick's movies are easily on par with Pixar's, especially Coraline, and I'd put Miyazaki on top of the pile. Grave of the Fireflies is another movie I'd put on there, and - if you can stomach the total anime-ness (I did) - Ghost in the Shell and 5 Centimeters Per Second. That last one has a fairly Romanticized and scrapbook idea of what love is, but there's a beauty to it that I can't deny. It's largely helped by the animation and the gorgeous art style.

Ah yes, Coraline was great.

Henry Selick has weird twitches and smiles that really bother me when I see him in interviews. Other than that, I'm sure he's a great director of the animutation.

I think you misunderstood my statement. I think Pixar makes the best computer-animated movies on a constant basis. The only ungood ones, as ThunderPeel already mentioned, were the Cars ones. I'm not a huge fan of the Toy Story movies, but they're really not bad compared to most other stuff. Aren't those the only two that have had sequels?

I tend to dislike Dreamworks movies (the ones that always, ALWAYS, have characters with one eyebrow raised in promotional material) in general; good things like How To Train Your Dragon are a rarity. And other studios try but frequently end up making either horrible stuff (Hoodwinked, Open Season, Polar Express) or mediocre things that look pretty but don't do much else (Happy Feet, Robots, The Tale of Desperaux). I am a horrible snob.

What I meant was that it would be very strange if Pixar suddenly started adapting comics into movies, since their regular material is original stories. And I like it that way.:tup:

Kroms - I'm talking specifically about computer rendered animation. All the examples you posted are absolutely gorgeous to be sure but they are either drawn (best, imo) or stop-action (also best). With that restriction in mind I do think that while Pixar does not have a perfect flawless record they are the best in computer animation. Who did not cry during Up? WHO?? I DEMAND TO KNOW.

Watched all of Twin Peaks for the second time. Still excellent, but it sure has its share of flaws. The biggest problem I have withit is that the second season has way too much filler content. Some of the crazy wacky shit also seemed really out of place and unnecessary, but I guess that's to be expected from Lynch.

Still, very good TV series. If only all of Lynch's other works were as well done..

So, Hanna. I quite liked it, but mostly for the incredible audio and visuals (I'm such a sucker for long takes (even if they're fake)). The story, and characters in particular, seemed kind of weirdly... off, somehow. The actions and interactions of the family seemed very artificial, Blanchett's character was all over the place, and the bad guys appeared to come right out of a Steven Seagal flick. The sets, cinematography, music were fantastic, though. Some really great scenes in there.

Space Shuttle: The Last Flight just finished on Beeb2. Iplayer it up for English peeps, or I imagine it will be on all good torrents/newsgroups any day now. Top program.

So, Hanna. I quite liked it, but mostly for the incredible audio and visuals (I'm such a sucker for long takes (even if they're fake)). The story, and characters in particular, seemed kind of weirdly... off, somehow. The actions and interactions of the family seemed very artificial, Blanchett's character was all over the place, and the bad guys appeared to come right out of a Steven Seagal flick. The sets, cinematography, music were fantastic, though. Some really great scenes in there.

Agreed. The concept worked and the casting really supported it... but then the actual writing for the parts really didn't. I definitely feel like these actors could have played these parts very well if they were given the material to work with. It turned into a pretty bizarre film, which was somewhat redeemed by the music and visuals, as you mentioned.

The start of the film, at least, was wonderful.