ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

What is this. I watched about two minutes, expecting some kind of hilarious thing to occur.

It never does. It is, at best, a mild smirking moment or two. I don't get how people are losing their shit over this show. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

From a quick skip through, seems like a dull version of Powerpuff Girls (which was awesome).

Pretty sweet production values. Cute show. I can see why people like this.

I'm watching this with my four year old cousin and it is fun. Man, little girls watching them ponies = Quite The Thing. Think Beatles and Ed Sullivan.

Holy crap, and I have never even heard of Fez, but I want to give my money right now to Phil Fish.

I never realized that Edmund McMillen looks like a long lost brother of a Nintendo nerd friend of mine.

I've been waiting for Fez for a while now since someone had posted long ago at the Thumbs here about it. I thought development was dead.

That Indie Games trailer was needlessly emotional with a sick desperation running through. It's probably appropriate but I felt a little bit manipulated.

I've been waiting for Fez for a while now since someone had posted long ago at the Thumbs here about it. I thought development was dead.

<derail>Fez feels so close to release I may factually pee.</derail>

I enjoyed season one of The Sopranos. It wasn't as good as season one of The Wire, but it was fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing season two.

I enjoyed season one of The Sopranos. It wasn't as good as season one of The Wire, but it was fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing season two.

I loved this when it came out, but only saw a few of series 5 and lost the thread. Ignored 6. So - have started from series 1, and am loving it all over again! Silvio is as cool as ever, and Paulie as big a cock as ever.

X-Men: First Class - slick and enjoyable, with emotional heft, although the prequel nature of it plus lots of montages made it feel like an amazing tv episode rather than a standalone feature. (Are there any truly great prequels? Godfather Pt II doesn't count.)

Kung Fu Panda 2/Hangover Pt 2 - exactly as enjoyable as their originals (fun and charming but slight action comedy/funny but stretched out and ruined by any spoilers, especially those all over the trailers).

Pirates 4 - dreadful. Very dull retread of memories of the first three, but with all the nasty sadistic qualities of World's End intact (torture scenes, more character deaths, depressing character relationships). No fun at all, and the post-conversion 3D is, as usual, terrible - almost unnoticeable except for making the picture too dark - I ended up watching nearly all of it without my glasses on, and it could have passed for a 2D film with low depth of field.

Bridesmaids - lots of funny moments, but strung together on an almost non-existent, predictable and cliched story. Also, lots of pointless stock wacky characters thrown in for a scene or two that you've seen a million times before and

(not embedded to avoid mild Bridesmaids spoiler) from Harold And Kumar done again (probably unintentionally, though). [EDIT: and it takes a lot from the airplane coach/first Seinfeld episode] I think the positive critical response has been because people have wanted to like this more than they did, as did I. It's still pretty good and hits its stride for ten minutes at a time, but it could have done with a major script polish. Edited by bbX1138

Yeah, First Class was so enjoyable, it had a white submarine and

Michael Ironside saying 'it's been an honor serving with you, gentlemen'.

I've been watching some old Japanese films recently. Harakiri and Kurosawa's Rashomon. Both were really gripping. Rashomon was especially good, seen in the light of the era it was made in. It's perhaps not my favorite Kurosawa film, that honor still goes to Yojinbo.

Rashomon was especially good, seen in the light of the era it was made in.

That phrase always makes me stop for a bit. I've seen Rashomon, and it's good, but I've also seen a ton of old movies for which I never have to add "you know, for an old movie" to the end. Such as M by Fritz Lang. It's just really good, period (and it's 20 older than Rashomon).

Rashomon is seriously overrated. Most cinemagoers don't realise that the reason it's critically noted is only because it was the first film to feature an unreliable narrator. Of course it's not bad, it's very well made, but it's pretty superficial.

Brkl, I didn't mean to say that the movie is only good seen through the lens of its period. I liked the movie for what it is and regularly appreciate (very) old movies. What made me single out Rashomon for this was exactly what Thunderpeel says; it was a landmark movie for its unreliable narrator and pushed boundaries (none of the studios Kurosawa worked with wanted to have anything to do with it --until it became a smash hit in the European scene). That gives the movie some extra sparkle, despite it not being anything particularly special nowadays.

And I beg to differ with you, Thunder. Rashomon may not have an overly complicated plot, but there is a magic to it that is derived exactly from its 'simplicity'. In all the flashbacks the forest is a weird, warping, magical place where people aren't themselves. I found that fascinating, not a lot of movies are able to establish a location in such a strong way.

Finally seen Paul last night and quite liked it. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost mash up perfectly with what the American comedy has been offering in the recent years (the more-or-less standard team appearing in several titles over the last 5 or so years, including Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman, Bill Hader, Joe Lo Truglio etc.)...anyway...don't have much to say, not in the mood to...just that I recommend this movie.

And I beg to differ with you, Thunder. Rashomon may not have an overly complicated plot, but there is a magic to it that is derived exactly from its 'simplicity'. In all the flashbacks the forest is a weird, warping, magical place where people aren't themselves. I found that fascinating, not a lot of movies are able to establish a location in such a strong way.

I agree that it's well made, and definitely has things to recommend it, but if it wasn't the first film to feature an unreliable narrator, I don't think it would have quite the status it does now. It's a good film, but not a great one, IMO. (Side note: My DVD version came with the two short stories that the film is based on. I thought they were excellent.)

Totally with you on this one. I feel like that nondescript forest is crystallized in my mind, as is the gate at the beginning and end of the movie. It has such a well realized sense of place that is fairly rare in movies nowdays, where jumpcuts to various international locations are the valued currency.

Is anyone willing to offer a prediction as to whether I'll enjoy Deadwood, despite not being a fan of westerns in general? It's not just that the setting doesn't do anything for me, it actually acts as a (pretty mild) turn off. Nevertheless, I keep hearing Deadwood is worth watching. Any opinions?

Watch it, and if you don't like it, it's probably not for you.