ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Does any TV series do creeping, pervasive psychological horror like Doctor Who? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

(Matt Smith's Doctor continues to grow on me.)

(Matt Smith's Doctor continues to grow on me.)

I think he is the best of the entire set. It's the single best bit of casting I've seen since The Godfather.

Does any TV series do creeping, pervasive psychological horror like Doctor Who? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

I'm sure there's a ton of series that do psychological horror better than Dr. Who... I just can't think of any.

I read Orvidos' question as meaning current tv shows. Otherwise you could have Quatermass, stuff like that.

He said "any" sans "current", so that means everything ever made.

But am I missing something? wikipedia lists Quatermass as a few mini series.

He said "any" sans "current", so that means everything ever made.

But am I missing something? wikipedia lists Quatermass as a few mini series.

He also said 'does' and 'do', ie present tense.

Maybe Dexter, in moments? Lost probably tried to do it as well.

I'm not sure why it is that a kids show does this where others fail. Maybe because most shows treat the screenplay as the cheapest and least important part?

You're not missing anything on Quatermass, Elmuerte. It was indeed only a few mini series and a feature-length movie. Some of those are really very good though.

if I rewatch an old episode of Dr Who is still 'does' and 'do'.

And if we're including mini series, I highly recommend The Lost Room; although it's not that horrory. Some episodes of Masters of Scifi are horrory though.

Jesus. I did mean presently, because there are several past shows that at least come close. But Doctor Who is the only show that occasionally has me looking over my shoulder as I walk through a dark house, after some episodes.

I don't know any current shows with that quality.

I did mean presently

:tup:WINNING :tup:

(But to clarify, I really meant "If not, though," instead of "Otherwise".)

I used to, but I have been too busy with discourse analysis on internet forums of late.

I don't know any current shows with that quality.

Jump scares don't get to me. And 99% of horror films are just too over-the-top/cheesy to do anything.

But I'm really easily wigged by promises of bad things. Or creeping horror, instead of ZOMBIE THROUGH WINDOW. Amnesia, for instance, fucks me up something awful.

That's the kind of horror Doctor Who has. Things like the

orphanage from The Silence two-parter, or pretty much any episode with the Ood.

Speaking of the Ood, those poor fucking bastards always get the short end of the stick. Every time one pops up, I think "Oh, maybe they'll redeem themselves!" Ten or fifteen minutes later "Ood death army. Possessed by so and so. What a shame." Poor guys.

Jump scares don't get to me. And 99% of horror films are just too over-the-top/cheesy to do anything.

But I'm really easily wigged by promises of bad things. Or creeping horror, instead of ZOMBIE THROUGH WINDOW. Amnesia, for instance, fucks me up something awful.

I dislike scary games, which is why I will never ever play Amnesia. This was pretty much me. :grin: It's also why I'll never be able to get through Silent Hill 2.

Well, I could potentially play it, but like with a truly scary movie, I would only ever do that while watching with friends.

Yeah, being a huge pussy is such a drag. Fortunately I somehow managed to complete both Silent Hill 2 and 3, which I loved, but those will probably be the only horror games I'll ever have played. Amnesia, for example? I can just flat out fucking forget about it. I get terrified just thinking about buying it.

Maybe, just maybe, I could play them if I were really high on drugs and alcohol...

Yeah, being a huge pussy is such a drag. Fortunately I somehow managed to complete both Silent Hill 2 and 3, which I loved, but those will probably be the only horror games I'll ever have played. Amnesia, for example? I can just flat out fucking forget about it. I get terrified just thinking about buying it.

Maybe, just maybe, I could play them if I were really high on drugs and alcohol...

I know what you mean. I couldn't play System Shock 2 for ages and ages. Eventually I found a patch which turned off random spawns, that way I could at least clear an area and feel relaxed.

Isn't there some jumpy/scary bits in Half-Life 2? If so, I doubt I'd ever get past them ;(

Motherfucking Ravenholm. I'm also terrible at horror movies. My girlfriend loves them unfortunately. I watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre with her a few months back (I'd never seen it, I know my limits) and could barely sleep that night. I still get made fun of for it, but whatever.

It totally depends on the movie. Over the top gore and things like that don't bother me, it's the psychological stuff. None of the killings in Chainsaw Massacre bothered me, for example, it was the scene at dinner with the old man. Gory and slasher movies are fine, but actual horror horror gets to me.

I love psychological horror. It's just really to hard to find these days - the market is swamped by the cat scares and gorn.

I just stayed after hours at work and gave myself a private screening of "Rubber", a movie I'd been wanting to see for a bit that we happened to have in the booth for a festival. It's about a living tyre that has the ability to explode people's heads. Anything else would be a potential spoiler for this gloriously weird movie. I was shaking with laughter most of the way through. Weirdest thing I've seen in a while, and highly recommended.

Wait what?! Horror movies are about scaring people?!

Motherfucking Ravenholm. I'm also terrible at horror movies. My girlfriend loves them unfortunately. I watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre with her a few months back (I'd never seen it, I know my limits) and could barely sleep that night. I still get made fun of for it, but whatever.

Same here. When it gets psychologically twisted, I'd rather not be around. That said, I can love the more "traditional" horror movies, like The Evil Dead series (most people only remember the comedy, but the first one is gruelling and without laughs).

With games, I just can't play stuff that has things that jump out at me. My adrenaline goes through the roof and it just becomes a totally unpleasant experience. That said, if I can relax myself enough to enjoy them, they can be fun.

With movies, I love a good jump!