ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Watched a lot of movies recently, first the one in theater :

Thor : I really didn't like the tacky visual of Asgard, but I quite enjoyed the first half

more particularly Loki, who feels like a complex character with his honest motive of delaying the coronation in order to give his brother a bit more time to save Asgard from an immature ruler and the ways he breaks down when he learn he's adopted

but everything went downhill a few minutes after

Loki's access to the throne

. The writing and structure completely crumble after that; and the movie feels like its bored with what remains to be said/done. Overall it's less tight and exigent than what Branagh usually delivers - I know his track record is of up and down, but given Peter's Friends and Hamlet I had hope for a more liberal and demanding adaptation of Thor.

Fast Five : clearly not a 'good' movie, but it was pretty fit for a Friday night of brainless entertainment : it's loud, ridiculous and somewhat funny. I must admit I was expecting more from Rock and Diesel performances (I think both of them can be really good actors) but the movie's take on Ocean 11 narrative structure turned out OK. Also, Rock's punches make more noise than rifles and crashing cars,and it surprisingly makes sense

I went to see Attack the Block earlier this evening. I thought it was a really fun film. It's fairly short, so some of the themes and characters aren't developed as much as would have been nice. In the early parts of the movie some of the story-telling feels a bit rushed.

But it's just got so much warmth and hits all the right notes. It's a proper classic schlock scifi monster movie like The Thing, Predator and Tremors. Like the latter it has a good balance of humour, scares, action and gore - just as Thunderpeel noted earlier.

The setting is nice. Most folks who have been teenagers in Britain in the last 30 years can relate to the main cast I think. And if you live around that current teen culture then you've probably picked up a lot by osmosis (there were only a couple of lines in all that I didn't catch). I've never lived on an estate but I felt familiar with them and their world pretty quickly. The soundtrack was also perfectly suited.

Good monster design too, with nods to the genre anchorpoints like Alien (lots of other references in the movie too, like 'Wyndham Tower') whilst still being effectively menacing and different enough to not seem like a rip-off.

I really want to watch it again, if just for the last

slow-motion

action sequence, which I think is near-perfectly shot and may well go down as a classic moment for many years.

:tup:

I went to see Attack the Block earlier this evening. I thought it was a really fun film. It's fairly short, so some of the themes and characters aren't developed as much as would have been nice. In the early parts of the movie some of the story-telling feels a bit rushed.

But it's just got so much warmth and hits all the right notes. It's a proper classic schlock scifi monster movie like The Thing, Predator and Tremors. Like the latter it has a good balance of humour, scares, action and gore - just as Thunderpeel noted earlier.

The setting is nice. Most folks who have been teenagers in Britain in the last 30 years can relate to the main cast I think. And if you live around that current teen culture then you've probably picked up a lot by osmosis (there were only a couple of lines in all that I didn't catch). I've never lived on an estate but I felt familiar with them and their world pretty quickly. The soundtrack was also perfectly suited.

Good monster design too, with nods to the genre anchorpoints like Alien (lots of other references in the movie too, like 'Wyndham Tower') whilst still being effectively menacing and different enough to not seem like a rip-off.

I really want to watch it again, if just for the last

slow-motion

action sequence, which I think is near-perfectly shot and may well go down as a classic moment for many years.

:tdown:

I rewatched Die Hard, because I was slightly bored. Still great! Next up, Die Hard With a Vengeance!

Every time someone mentions Die Hard in writing I first read it in German before I realize it's not German.

I rewatched Die Hard, because I was slightly bored. Still great! Next up, Die Hard With a Vengeance!

No Die Hard 2?

Die Hard 1 is superb, though. Way better than any of the sequels (although the first 40 mins of Die Hard With A Vengeance is pretty good -- and Die Hard 2 tries desperately to ape Die Hard 1).

Nope, no Die Hard 2. I always found it kind of 'eh'. Die Hard 1 and With A Vengeance are definitely my favourites. I love the 3rd one! I watched it so many times as a kid. :D

What don't you like about the latter half of With A Vengeance?

I like all the 3 Die Hard movies. Die Harder isn't 'eh', it's just very sequelly.

Nope, no Die Hard 2. I always found it kind of 'eh'. Die Hard 1 and With A Vengeance are definitely my favourites. I love the 3rd one! I watched it so many times as a kid. :D

Whaaaaaat? You don't like Renny Harlin? He is like the god of filmmakers.

Well not really, he really is just a bad director who likes them explosions.

Fucking Renny Harlin. Sweden gets Ingmar Bergman and we get Renny Harlin.

Whatever, our biggest director is Harald Zwart, the mind behind One Night at McCools, the Pink Panther sequel, Agent Cody Banks, and the Karate Kid reboot. =/

At least he gets his movies to the theaters. Renny's last five or so movies are straight to DVD releases.

Haha. This conversation is hilarious. I wonder who the UK's current most successful director is? Oh, yeah. Christopher Nolan! :mock: (Ha! I didn't actually know the answer to that question when I first started typing it, then I remembered.)

What don't you like about the latter half of With A Vengeance?

I thought as soon as Jeremy Irons appeared I lost all in interest in the story and the characters. He was nowhere near as interesting as Hans Gruber for a start, and the story/other characters just lost me after that. But the first 40 mins is really cool :tup:

In other news: I saw Cedar Rapids and really enjoyed it. A very sweet little movie (in the literal sense, i.e. "charming") that doesn't rely on gross out humour. Kind of reminded me of the theatrical cut of the 40 Year Old Virgin in that way. Not side-splitting, but still a really enjoyable way to spend the time. Recommended.

Whatever, our biggest director is Harald Zwart, the mind behind One Night at McCools, the Pink Panther sequel, Agent Cody Banks, and the Karate Kid reboot. =/

Also Aune Sand.

Liv Ullmann? She's great... when she does Swedish films...

(Interesting discussion topic, though. Why have the Swedish and Danish film industries pumped out more internationally-renowned films/actors/filmmakers than the other Nordic countries?)

We got Paul Verhoeven. You're welcome. :grin:

The only good director from Finland that I can think of really is Aki Kaurismäki. He has made some movies that got important movie awards.

Just got home from watching Bridesmaids and I couldn't help but write something about it as quickly as possible. Judd Apatow's stuff was starting to get a little tiring for me, but I think Kristen Wiig brought a lot of freshness to this one and really proved herself as a leading lady. So hilarious that my face literally hurt for a half-hour after leaving the theater because it was so constantly contorted with laughter.

My slightly more longform thoughts: http://bit.ly/kOPAWC

13 Assassins is a great samurai movie in the vein of Kurosawa, but way more freaky (it's directed by Takashi Miike).

Attack the Block was even more fun the second time. Great movie. :tup:

We got Paul Verhoeven. You're welcome. :grin:

and Jan de Bont; although... most of his significant work was as cinematographer

and Jan de Bont; although... most of his significant work was as cinematographer

Indeed :tup: Die Hard, Hunt for Red October. He also directed Speed, which was damned good fun, too.

A chum saw Attack the Block and really liked it; as an A&J fan I was already positively disposed towards it and this just increased it. Sadly it doesn't have a release date for the USA yet.