ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

We started watching about a week ago NHK's biggest show Ryomaden 龍馬伝. It ran on NHK throughout 2010.

The story centers on the life of 19th century Japanese historical figures Sakamoto Ryoma and Iwasaki Yataro.

I love this show. Everyone who likes historical dramas should watch this so at least this one is for Rodi.

Ooh! Allow me to start a torrent on that. Sakamoto Ryoma is an interesting figure, I'm curious how this series will display him. I loved Shinsengumi's take on him, so it'll be interesting how much it will differ from that.

Just finished the first season of Community, and this is definitely one of the best comedy shows ever made. It starts of okay, becomes very good after a couple of episodes, and, like Hermie observed, towards the end of the season it's just ridiculously great. The paintball episode was so good that I laughed.

Community is bar none the best show on TV these days, just a shame it starts out quite slow and it takes them a couple of episodes to find their groove. The second season is even more brilliant if you ask me, with really just one weak episode

the incredibly meta Abed special, just way overdone

. Can't wait for the season finale, it's supposed to be an hour long and

more paintball

! Probably the funniest show since Arrested Development, hopefully it won't get canceled just yet.

Yup, I completely agree with both Toblix and Nichololololas.

I tried watching Community, but couldn't get through the first episode. My girlfriend loved it, though. It's just way too awkward for me, this coming from a huge fan of Extras and The Office (UK).

You really should give it a couple more episodes. It starts off as a pretty mediocre comedy show, but gets really good. I don't get that it's too awkward, though. I love Gervais' stuff, but the comedy in Community is much more explicit, which, for me at least, makes it less awkward.

Definitely keep with it. It takes a little while, but it seems that the actors and writers grow into the characters, especially Troy.

Surprised Thunderpeel hasn't posted here yet - we went to see a test screening of Attack The Block yesterday. TP's awesome mate and I thought it was hugely flawed (although well-directed with small flashes of cool/funny/scary), old thicky-Thunder-thicky-Peel-thicky thought it was pretty good.

Surprised Thunderpeel hasn't posted here yet - we went to see a test screening of Attack The Block yesterday. TP's awesome mate and I thought it was hugely flawed (although well-directed with small flashes of cool/funny/scary), old thicky-Thunder-thicky-Peel-thicky thought it was pretty good.

I'm not even sure my friend would agree with you that it was well-directed or had flashes of cool/funny/scary -- I seem to remember fire in his eyes and the words "utter shite characters!". But maybe that was just my impression.

The film was flawed, no doubt, but the positives outweighed the negatives for me. Well directed, funny, scary, loved the social message. A sweet little gem that I'd put it on par with something like Rare Exports. Very good in my books!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I went to Rango a second time this evening, and it gets even better with a repeat viewing. It's such a bold movie, seeing how expensive and rare 3D animated films are. Usually they are designed by committee and follow a painfully predetermined formula. Rango does occassionally lapse into predictability, but has a lot of inspired moments, especially when it dares to deviate from what is expected.

This is no children's film. It's highly rewarding to see (again) :tup:

Planning to go see Rango tomorrow. I'm so happy that they actually are showing the original audio reel version and not some dubbed shit in my town.

It's like they actually have realized that this is not for kids.

Just wanted to say thanks to those of you that recommended Community, and add my recommendation as well. I'd heard of it before and the brief description of the premise, etc. had left me with absolutely no desire to actually watch it. However, upon hearing some of you guys enjoyed it too, I decided to finally give it a go and now I completely agree that after the first few episodes this show really takes off.

To be fair, most of the replies are all up for it, and say they get used to the slang. It's the fuddy-duddy distro execs that are being dicks.

I hope they find a Canadian distributor. Sounds like exactly the kind of movie my theater would book in a heartbeat.

Let me just say (as someone whose seen it) the slang is pretty heavy. Even for a British person. This is a portrayal of a particular subset of England.

The simple solution is for a distributor to buy it for the US market, and then do a few test screenings and see if folk can understand what's being said. If they can't then they could re-dub it with slightly less slang (still keeping it British, obviously). I'm not totally sure that subtitles would help in this instance, if you ask me.

Here's the trailer:

cD0gm7dHKKc

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Let me just say (as someone whose seen it) the slang is pretty heavy. Even for a British person. This is a portrayal of a particular subset of England.

The simple solution is for a distributor to buy it for the US market, and then do a few test screenings and see if folk can understand what's being said. If they can't then they could re-dub it with slightly less slang (still keeping it British, obviously). I'm not totally sure that subtitles would help in this instance, if you ask me.

Here's the trailer:

cD0gm7dHKKc

Man, that looks the best.

It is very good!

It is shit.

Trainspotting did alright in America, though, right? Apparently they handed out vocabulary guide leaflets before screenings!

I saw Big Mommas: Like Father Like Son (don't ask).

I give it one out of ten Mrs. Doubtfires.