ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Uh. Hmmm.

It's not bad! It's actually pretty interesting and engaging for the first season or so. Jeri Ryan as an actor and not a godsdamned emotionless cyborg is interesting. William Shatner is not actually a bad actor, for the most part.

I guess it kind of depends on how you intend to partake of the media. Buy it? Netflix? Etc?

I won't buy it, because I'm terrible at rewatching stuff. I might rent it or borrow it or have it in some other temporary manner, though. It sounds like it might be worth taking a look at when I get around to it but I don't need to jump on it right this second.

Not really, no.

It's definitely a good break from the sameness that L&O and CSI have fallen into over the years.

The Michael J. Fox episodes of Boston Legal are my favourites of that show, but otherwise it was quite good show. Really liked the chemistry between the actors. Also Shatner was a great choice for the role he had in that show.

Saw the King's Speech on Sunday. It was really, really good. In my mind, the best picture of 2010 is a dead heat between that and True Grit. King's Speech is definitely more academy-bait though, so it will probably win. Handled with far more humour than I expected. People should see this movie. Only best picture nominee that I still need to see (besides Rabbit Hole, because fuck Rabbit Hole) is now Blue Valentine. Hopefully will be going tomorrow. Whoo, movies!

Only best picture nominee that I still need to see (besides Rabbit Hole, because fuck Rabbit Hole) is now Blue Valentine. Hopefully will be going tomorrow. Whoo, movies!

Neither of those films are nominated for Best Picture. Why 'fuck Rabbit Hole'?

I still have to see The Fighter and True Grit, because they've not been released here yet. Oh, and Winter's Bone, as I missed it at the time.

Am I awful for liking Tron Legacy? Sure, the story was bad, but not much more than Tron's. The visuals were really great, as was the soundtrack. Good enough for me!

You had no problems watching the quite awful cgi Jeff Bridges? The real Jeff Bridges as whitegown Jesus figure was ok.

I had the pleasure of watching Starman a few days ago from the tv.

Now that was a nice movie! Why the hell I've never really noted how awesome actor Jeff Bridges really is?

I need to dig in and check all the stuff John Carpenter has made in the 80's, there seems to be all the time all kinds of gems there that I had never even heard about before, like They Live an Starman.

Apparently they are already making Tron 3. I have feeling that it's not going to end well. Suddenly really milking the old property, but I guess I'll go see it anyway, the visual were really nice other than cgi Jeff B.

CGI Jeff B was weird, but ultimately I didn't care enough to let it break the fantasy. I loved Michael Sheen's over-the-top, Bowie-esque night club owner :tup: That was easily the best scene of the whole movie.

Tron 3 would be a tremendously bad idea. The whole value of Tron, like I said, was in its visual and auditory spectacle. A new Tron was needed for a modern era, but a second one would only be about expanding the story -not the franchise's strongest suit.

They were clearly building it with

Cillian Murphy appearing as the son of Dillinger. So he will be the bad guy in the next one

I thought it was a kind of nice touch to the first movie, but when I heard rumours about the sequel, then I started thinking that it was all calculative and done on purpose for the future.

Michael Sheen was amazing, that I agree on, I would've liked him to have a bigger role in the movie. Also interesting sidenote is that just a day or two before we saw Tron: Legacy, we happened to catch part of the Queen movie showing on tv where Michael Sheen is Tony Blair. So different roles. :)

Michael Sheen is also a great in Frost/Nixon, in a psychological battle with Frank Langella. Like Social Network, it's one of those "Why would I want to watch two hours of people talking in rooms?" movies, that are captivating because of the great writing and great performances.

A lot of the imagery in Social Network I also found very pretty to look at. Still remember the intro rather well. I don't really know a lot about movie making and terminology, but I found the use of colour and the framing very pleasing.

Neither of those films are nominated for Best Picture. Why 'fuck Rabbit Hole'?

I still have to see The Fighter and True Grit, because they've not been released here yet. Oh, and Winter's Bone, as I missed it at the time.

Without having seen True Grit, you're missing what I personally would call the best movie of the year, so you should probably get on that. I was thinking of award-nominees in general I guess, with Nicole Kidman and Michelle Williams both being up for best actress for the two movies I mentioned. Fuck Rabbit Hole mostly because I'm sick of white suburban problems being what draws all the nominations. Everything I've seen of Rabbit Hole looks like the kind of thing I already saw from Little Children which, while a fantastic movie, kind of filled my quota of suburban white movies for the next several years after. There's just so much more that's interesting out there that I can't be bothered to see those things as much. The Kids Are Alright took that kind of setting, but did so much more with it by making it about something that I hadn't seen approached in a mainstream film.

Anyway, Blue Valentine: What a good film. Such a bummer, but really nice in how realistically it portrays everything. I thought I called the ending when it was about to hit, but then was proven wrong and was very happy for it. I also really liked that neither of the people in the doomed relationship were at fault, they were just totally different. It was really good, really subtle, and really well made. That said, the camera is jerky as hell, so if you're prone to motion sickness as my girlfriend is, you may want to take that under advisement. She had to close her eyes about every 5 minutes to keep the nausea under control.

Without having seen True Grit, you're missing what I personally would call the best movie of the year, so you should probably get on that.

Yep, they've been screening it for critics over here since before Christmas, so I've had colleagues and friends going on about it a lot. But then, when it came to the actual review, another guy covered it (same with The Fighter), so I have to wait.

Fuck Rabbit Hole mostly because I'm sick of white suburban problems being what draws all the nominations. Everything I've seen of Rabbit Hole looks like the kind of thing I already saw from Little Children which, while a fantastic movie, kind of filled my quota of suburban white movies for the next several years after. There's just so much more that's interesting out there that I can't be bothered to see those things as much.

You're missing out. I liked it a lot. Sure, I guess the characters are middle class, but I don't think loss is a 'white suburban problem'. And it's not really drawing 'all the nominations' at all, which I think is a shame, because I think it - and Blue Valentine - deserves a lot more recognition. They're both similarly complex, sincere, and powerful.

Watched Unbreakable during the weekend for the first time, somehow I never got to watch it before and I was surprised to remember that this movie is already 11 years old. It was pretty good, there were the hints for the big twist laid out well before the end, but I still somehow managed to be surprised at the end.

This was back when M Night was still new and fresh with bright ideas.

Really solid acting from both Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson.

Delicatessen! :tup: Most heartwarming movie about

delicacies

I have seen in a while.

It's such a shame that it feels somehow out of the ordinary to find an interesting movie that is not mostly if not completely pervaded by cynicism.

:violin:Yeah.... I know.

It's such a shame that it feels somehow out of the ordinary to find an interesting movie that is not mostly if not completely pervaded by cynicism.[/size]

Very true. The City of Lost Children (the unrelated follow-up) is well worth your time :tup:

That was the first Jean-Pierre Jeunet film I watched. I was something like twelve and it almost traumatized me for life. Nevertheless, I loved the film back then and still do after having watched it again quite recently.

That was the first Jean-Pierre Jeunet film I watched. I was something like twelve and it almost traumatized me for life. Nevertheless, I loved the film back then and still do after having watched it again quite recently.

Traumatized? Can't remember why that would be the case... awesome, though.

Film classic time: A Bout de Souffle (Breathless), the French nouvelle vague starter by Godard.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. It's known especially for its then-novel way of editing and filmmaking, employing low-budget techniques and editing tricks like the jump cut and overlapping audio from other scenes. But the story itself is also fascinating, though at first glance unremarkable. It's about young gangster wannabe Michel Poiccard who romances a woman in Paris while the authorities close in for an earlier cop murder. It sounds wholly gaudy, but the way it's filmed is great.

Especially the final scene, in all its moviemaking simplicity, was more breathtaking than anything the likes of Avatar could ever dream of. Simply wonderful.

Traumatized? Can't remember why that would be the case... awesome, though.

I'm exaggerating, of course. There were some very strong scenes, however, and the grim weirdness of the world it pictured certainly had an effect on me back then – the naval mine scene, for instance, will stay with me for the rest of my life. Perhaps part of the reason why the movie was so effective was that an innocent child™ was tossed into that world. For the same reason Tideland was the most nauseating movie experience I have ever had. City of Lost Children is a very pleasing movie by comparison. Without a comparison as well as a matter of fact.

Saw True Grit, very good in every way except for a bit of a fizzle-out ending. Similar to No Country... Lots of great acting and dialogue.