ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I love Labyrinth. Brilliant script by Terry Jones.

Saw Knight And Day today. It's fun and exciting, but let down by a lightweight script. James Mangold (game gold man game jame gold) directs brilliantly, though, especially the action. Every shot is wonderfully composed and thought through and believable, while also fitting into a comprehensible sequence. Cameron Diaz looks faaaake, though. When did that happen?

I love Labyrinth. Brilliant script by Terry Jones.

Well, that's funny you say that because there's an interview floating around where he seems a bit unhappy with the film. He says nothing after she bites the peach (apricot? apple?) is his and that the whole underlying story of a girl's sexuality was not his either.

He was sort of just in to punch up dialogue.

This one?

Ah well, it's still a great script, and it seems like there are no bad feelings. I think the underlying stuff that Jones wanted in there about Jareth being manipulative and defensive, and Sarah learning to cope with the world and enjoy it, are still in there, along with all the stuff about burgeoning sexuality and choosing her path as a woman (maternal instincts vs passion). I wonder whether Jones wrote all the stuff about Jareth playing with his balls and throwing his snake in her face...

Edited by bbX1138

I bet Terry Jones wrote this bit:

f2xVZiGOw-o

That worm is one of my favourite characters in the film.

Yeah that's the interview. I think it might indicate why he isn't on any of the DVDs and such talking. It's kind of why I bought the Blu-ray version, for some Terry Jones.

I'm pretty sure the worm bit is completely his. The rocks and hands are also I think all of his dialogue as well.

There are interview clips of Terry in the making of doc that's included on the VHS! I'd be surprised if that hadn't made it onto the DVDs or Blu-Ray. He talks about how well the talking hands came out.

Also, for those wondering which bits he wrote, if you google 'Labyrinth Terry Jones script', his draft comes up in a couple of places (assuming it's real). The worm stuff is in there although a little different.

There are interview clips of Terry in the making of doc that's included on the VHS! I'd be surprised if that hadn't made it onto the DVDs or Blu-Ray. He talks about how well the talking hands came out.

Also, for those wondering which bits he wrote, if you google 'Labyrinth Terry Jones script', his draft comes up in a couple of places (assuming it's real). The worm stuff is in there although a little different.

Yeah, he's on the old 80s making of thing, but I was just hoping he'd do some reflecting. :sad: I'm a lame ass who is really interested in DVD features, especially retrospective type commentary. Brian Froud does commentary, which is somewhat strange. but everyone else on the current features is like the Henson kids or puppeteers. Too bad because Terry Jones talking is like the exact definition of jolly. It's great!

I should check out his draft, though, thanks. Might be interesting.

I watched on wednesday Starship Troopers.

Awful acting and awful CGI.

But one thing I love about Paul Verhoeven is his take on the world and the future of mankind. All those commercials that are in this first Starship Troopers and also in Robocop are quite something.

Like in Starship Trooper there is one commercial where laughing and smiling soldiers give their guns to small kids and then these kids fight for the guns and the commercial ends with the soldiers giving ammunition to the kids and they are going crazy for it.

Yesterday we watched Godfather, I'm shamed to admit that I had never seen it before. I should've watched this 15 years ago already, but I'm truly happy that I saw it now.

Immediately goes to my top 10 of movies. I loved everything about it, the directing, the cinematography, the acting, the music. Everything done with such fine talent.

Next we are going to watch the two sequels of Godfather as I have the dvd box set on loan from my father.

Starship Troopers :tup: I love how it dives head first into its satire and never lets on, like a sci-fi version of Stephen Colbert. Intentionally bad filmmaking at its finest.

People don't realize how awesome Verhoeven really is. I am looking forward to seeing what he does with the Last Express. I haven't seen any of his period pieces or Dutch movies or Showgirls—I really haven't seen many of his movies—I think I'll make his the next body of work to make my way through.

People don't realize how awesome Verhoeven really is. I am looking forward to seeing what he does with the Last Express. I haven't seen any of his period pieces or Dutch movies or Showgirls—I really haven't seen many of his movies—I think I'll make his the next body of work to make my way through.

Well, besides Robocop and Total Recall, there's the Dutch WW2 movie "Soldaat van Oranje" which is awesome.

CtrlV'ed from a Zombie Cow forum post, so apologies if there's still anyone on both forums:

Salt - good action, fun concept, but

pussies out with its final twist

Sorceror's Apprentice - everything is rubbish, save Alfred Molina who is ever-awesmoe.

How To Train Your Dragon - good action and very cute dragon, but irritating lead character and voice work over all - Jay Baruchel is incredibly irritating, a very nasal mix of Christian Slater and Michael Cera, all the kids are cast too old, and there's a jarring mix of Scottish and American vikings. And Christ the worthless son proves himself to alpha male father plot is tired.

Avatar Special Edition - couldn't tell which bits were added (I'm pretty sure there were more nipples, though), but this was still great. Without the 3D it's probably Abyss/T2 level, but it's elevated above those by the visceral, thrilling 3D. Uses it far more effectively and proficiently than any other film I've seen.

And Expendables was shit.

I watched some films last weekend... in a gist:

-Salt: OK if you like spy flicks

-Prince of Persia: shit

-Law Abiding Citizen: surprisingly good

I liked Expendables, I want more of it. I'm not exactly sure, I think I need to watch it a second time, but I think it doesn't really measure up to the type of movie it wants to be. I get the feeling they tried to hard to be an 80s/early 90s action movie. But there were a few things they got missed. For example, an average action movie of that type has 2 location of operation (and of course a home base). In the expendables they simply returns to the same location. They also made some characters flaws. For example Terry Crews' character was the heavy guy,

but he disappeared for a large part in the "explosion preparation".

What they should have done is show some clips where he is preparing to blow the ship out of everything. They sort of did that way before the action, but not during the lead-up part.

But the other things, like the one-liners, the balls-out action, etc. was excellent.

The semi-badguy was also a downer.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to #2.

Also, the movie experience with Expandibles was much much much much better than mu previous experience with Inception. Guess the Pathe cinema in Rotterdam shouwburgplein is simply crap.

-Prince of Persia: shit

-Law Abiding Citizen: surprisingly good

I think PoP was quite acceptable. For a game to movie translation it was quite good. The only thing I really missed in the movie was the gorgeous environments of the games. The environment in the movie was so simple, so basic. Nothing fancy. It was also quite light on the parkour. But the princess was annoying, the prince was cocky. It felts like PoP to me.

Law Abiding Citizen wasn't surprisingly good for me. When I saw the trailer I knew it was going to be a good movie. It could only have let me down. I really like movies that have a proper intrigue. (any suggestions? I'm really looking for something to top "Man from Earth").

YES! The Man From Earth is an excellent excellent movie. I'd recommend it heartily to any nerd here.

Law Abiding Citizen looked hilariously terrible, was it good as in entertainingly silly or actually good? (Law Abiding Engineer, of course, was awesome.)

Admittedly, I just watched because I had seen the Law Abiding Engineer trailer... it isn't mind blowing, but good if you have time to kill and nothing better to watch.

How is it that someone always mentions and starts a debate about a movie in this thread that is currently on the national television here? This time, it's Starship Troopers....again.

I watched Starship Troopers earlier today! One thing I noticed was that the special effects held up really well for a 13 year old film. Quite well done.

Starship Troopers totally rocks... and the CGI is excellent for its day. It's CGI that actually feels "real" (not doubt thanks to the hands of Phil Tippett).

Edit: Looking at those YouTube videos, I'd say it still holds up, too!

Three Colours Blue: Wonderful

Let the Right One In: Beautiful

Gainsbourg: Ok

Toy Story 3: Good, but it was over-hyped for me. I felt let down.

Starship Troopers totally rocks... and the CGI is excellent for its day. It's CGI that actually feels "real" (not doubt thanks to the hands of Phil Tippett).

Edit: Looking at those YouTube videos, I'd say it still holds up, too!

They go into this in the making of section on the dvd, and a lot of that is because they do a good job of mixing CGI with physical special effects for closeups.

Early in the movie they show a cow in the same room as an arachnid and a giant CENSORED bar when the bug attacks. Instead of making a cheesy cgi cow getting mauled they cover up a guy spraying out fake blood from a hose to much greater comical effect.