ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Especially as it's better than Doctor Who, by a country mile.

Have you seen Moffat's run of Doctor Who? It's miles better than Series One (with the Ninth Doctor). His individual episodes trump almost everyone else's.

I've not seen the ending yet but apparently there won't be any new episodes for at least a year due to Stephen Moffat having to deal with the next series of Doctor Who.

The BBC shot themselves in the foot in that respect by not realising how popular Sherlock would be.

I read today that yesterday BBC announced a 2nd series of Sherlock. So weeeee!

Have you seen Moffat's run of Doctor Who? It's miles better than Series One (with the Ninth Doctor). His individual episodes trump almost everyone else's.

The entirety of Doctor Who is awful, at least to me. I probably hate it more because I spent the last year living with a whovian (like a trekkie but worse).

The entirety of Doctor Who is awful, at least to me. I probably hate it more because I spent the last year living with a whovian (like a trekkie but worse).

I can sympathize. I lived with an otaku for a year or so. I absolutely detest anime because of the experience, even though I've barely seen anything (saw Death Note all the way through and then a bit of Ergo Proxy).

I watched the first "episode" of Sherlock yesterday, it's FUCKING great! Highly recommended, but be warned it's a feature film length episode (hence the quotation marks).

It's like we are all watching this at the same time. Watched the last episode yesterday. Cliiiffhangeeeeer!!! :(

I went to see The Expendables yesterday at the local theater. I was disappointed to see that in addition to my friends there was only about 15 other people there. This might have been because my town had the "Night of the Arts" yesterday until night and there were propably 50000 people there running around.

The movie was pretty much what I expected so I got what I paid for. I liked it a lot in the way that it was exactly what it promised to be.

A lot of one liners, propably one of the most awesome scenes in movie history. Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Willis in the same scene!

The only thing missing from this movie would've been Van Damme, Seagal, Snipes and Chuck Norris, but those guys are lost causes. Especially Norris these days. Stallone tried to get all of them except Norris to show up in the movie, but ultimately failed because of various reasons relating to the said actors.

His individual episodes from the first four seasons are great, but Season Five was mostly meh and sometimes terrible except for the two new actors, who are both brilliant (Karen Gillan is especially amazing given how nonexistent her character is). I'm still baffled by the Byzantium two-parter, which suggests Moffat completely misunderstood what made Blink awesome.

Also, Human Nature/The Family of Blood is the best thing to come out of new Who. (But I think the last half of the Ninth Doctor's episodes are all pretty much great, so. Plus RTD's ridiculously exuberant over-the-topness brought us The Sound of Drums and John Simm's Master, which I will always love him for.)

While I didn't like the Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone as much as Blink, I do think they're good episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing next series, especially that they have a bit of leg-room to play around in. We'll see how it goes.

I went to see The Expendables yesterday at the local theater. I was disappointed to see that in addition to my friends there was only about 15 other people there. This might have been because my town had the "Night of the Arts" yesterday until night and there were propably 50000 people there running around.

The movie was pretty much what I expected so I got what I paid for. I liked it a lot in the way that it was exactly what it promised to be.

awesome to hear... a little over 7 days left before I'm going to see it

It's like we are all watching this at the same time. Watched the last episode yesterday. Cliiiffhangeeeeer!!! :(

ARGHH!!! Cliffhanger!!!

ARGHH!!! Cliffhanger!!!

Another victim to your insidious machinations, Kroms.

Agh.. Just watched 3:10 to Yuma on TV and I kinda want my 2 hours back. What a mess!:frusty: The whole movie was ruined for me by the characters doing unrealistically stupid things all the time.

Hah! I was thinking about watching that but I decided to watch Carlito's Way instead that was on another channel. I think I made a good choice.

Propably the original 3:10 to Yuma is much better than that remake with Bale and Crowe.

We were going to watch yesterday something completely different, but in the end chose Labyrinth from 1986. Lucasfilm made the first adventure style game from this movie. Movie was directed by Jim Henson and produced by Georgie Lucas.

It's a fantasy movie that many know and my wife said it felt a lot like meant for children mainly. I think people propably have had and still have nightmares because of Bowie's pants in this movie. His hair reminded me about Elvira, that's some true late 80's crazy hair style. :)

The whole idea about a labyrinth world was very unique, but I think the age of the movie is showing a little bit in various parts. This was the first time that me or my wife saw this movie.

Bowie's singing parts were a bit weird, but he is the driving force of this movie, more a central character than even Jennifer Connelly's character.

I loved the ending in the multilayer maze when Jennifer Connelly was running after the baby brother and David Bowie was just watching and singing. Especially the part where Bowie is walking under her and then comes up from the end of the platform. That was extremely well done! Very nicely done from the special effects department, which propably was IL&M when they were still a ground breaking company.

Yesterday morning when we woke up, the girlfriend said to me: "Hey, do you wanna go watch The Expendables today?" I, of course, said yes. So off we went.

Holy crap. That movie is absolutely exactly what it wanted to be. Let's not worry about plot at all. The guy who played Morales on Oz is a general who just overthrew an island South-ish of the USA, so Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, the guy from Ghosts of Mars, and some UFC fighty guy get hired by Bruce Willis to kill him. Morales has Stone Cold Steve Austin and Dolph Lundgren working for him. The only other thing you'll ever need to know about this movie is that they spend about 10 minutes showing nothing but the crew of heroes planting explosive charges around a compound, pretty much saying nothing but "HOLY SHIT I BET YOU GUYS CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THESE THINGS GO OFF!"

Statham and Stallone are shown drinking several beers while piloting a seaplane. Mickey Rourke paints a guitar. A Somalian pirate has the top half of his body forcibly removed from the bottom half. Etc, etc, etc. Earlier this week I was talking to a friend of mine who derided me a bit for wanting to see this movie. "You really want to go watch those old men flail around for a couple of hours?" she said. I responded enthusiastically, which brought a sheepish grin and a "...yeah. Me too." You already know whether or not you'll like this movie. If you're like me, see the damn thing in a theater.

We were going to watch yesterday something completely different, but in the end chose Labyrinth from 1986. Lucasfilm made the first adventure style game from this movie. Movie was directed by Jim Henson and produced by Georgie Lucas.

It's a fantasy movie that many know and my wife said it felt a lot like meant for children mainly. I think people propably have had and still have nightmares because of Bowie's pants in this movie. His hair reminded me about Elvira, that's some true late 80's crazy hair style. :)

The whole idea about a labyrinth world was very unique, but I think the age of the movie is showing a little bit in various parts. This was the first time that me or my wife saw this movie.

Bowie's singing parts were a bit weird, but he is the driving force of this movie, more a central character than even Jennifer Connelly's character.

I used to hate that movie, but my girlfriend has forced me to watch it so many times that I have developed somewhat of a strong liking for it. My favorite part is that it's basically a story about a girl coming to terms with her sexuality. The rest sort of makes no sense at all, like the logic doors, why she was transported in the first place, and

whatever strange declaration she makes to get out.

Also I like muppets and monsters and things. I bought the concept art book for Labyrinth and the things Brian Froud draws and paints are just gorgeous. I hope I can get somewhere near that level of greatness one day.

Yesterday I happened to watch The Dark Crystal, also with Brian Fraud designs and somewhat of a showcase for Henson's Creature Shop. It's a pretty weird movie, very simple yet compelling. The Skeksis are really disturbing and freaky, I can't imagine children not being scared to death by their behavior.

Labyrinth is totally a Lolita story prepackaged for the tweens.

David Bowie actually says something along the lines of, I gave you the world, I gave you everything you wanted, and all I asked in return was for you to love me, to fear me.

Weird movie weekend, I watched In The Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, Red Sonja and Red Eye.

Dungeon Siege wasn't as horrible as I would've thought, but it was a boring and pointless LotR copy as a movie can be. I don't get Uwe Boll movies, he has some black magic skills on how he gets guys like Ron Perlman and John Rhys-Davies to appear in his films. Or possibly the actors are just broke and in need of a quick fix of cash.

Red Sonja is the hopefully forgotten Schwarzenegger movie from the 80's where he has a side role, but is the main advertised star of the Conan lite version movie. Brigitte Nielsen stars as the main role as Sonja. The movie was clearly meant to cash in while Conan was still remembered by people, this movie even had the same star in "a different role". The movie had some amazing painted scenery backgrounds that looked great! I wonder who did the art for Red Sonja?

Red Eye came from the tv yesterday and it was directed by Wes Craven. I was not going to watch it, but my wife wanted to see it so we watched it. Starred Cillian Murphy and Rachel McAdams. Thriller movie, I didn't know anything about the movie beforehand except that it was directed by Craven, so I was thinking this would be a horror movie in an airplane. Turned out to be quite different, pretty ok movie. Cillian Murphy was the single great thing about this movie. He's a class act that always shines in his roles, like the role in Inception and the Batman movies.

Edited by Kolzig

Labyrinth is totally a Lolita story prepackaged for the tweens.

David Bowie actually says something along the lines of, I gave you the world, I gave you everything you wanted, and all I asked in return was for you to love me, to fear me.

Yeah, all of the songs were really strange and sexual. It's kind of neat in a way, even though I'm really not a David Bowie fan at all.