ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Labyrinth, 1530 today at the Prince Charles today! PM me if you fancy David Bowie's balls and a few beers...

Got here too late to read this... but there must be some better movies out there to see. I really watch to watch Inception, for instance.

No. No better movies than Labyrinth.

Went to see Inception instead, was very good, interesting, gripping, but so much explanation of rules throughout that it was hard not to feel distanced from it. That almost works with the themes, though...

Princess And The Frog was on a kiddy matinee. Very nicely presented, lots of lovely detail, acting, animation. But the story was very loose and quite weak.

Watched Xmen Origins: Wolverine t'other day. It was not as shit as I was expecting. The Bad Lieutenant (Cage), on the other hand was garbage. Cage was great, film was disjointed.

Shutter Island was highly enjoyable, and very sinister.

Bad Lieutenant is terrific, everybody should disregard what Scrobbs says and go see it :)

Inception was really great, very tight. I actually like that the rules are very clearly delineated. For characters obsessed with always being in control, in a situation in which loss of control means you don't even know if your world is real, it feels right that they reassure themselves they are in control by verbally defining their world over and over, as if that grants them power over it.

This thread is mighty long and useless for historical purposes. Here's an idea: How about discussions about specific films or directors or whatever get their own thread and this is for more general discussion of the subject? Or even better (or worse) how about a separate film/TV forum?

I assume you mean the old one. The old Bad Lieutenant from 1993 is an excellent movie.

Both are!

It's her work outfit! Obviously. :grin:

So the show has come to robot hands now... I'm not sure how I feel about that.

This was doing the rounds on Twitter last night: All of Tarkovsky's films are (in a legit way) online for free.

For a start, Stalker and Solaris were by him :tup:

Followed this link and found out Fritz Lang's Metropolis was also available. I'd never seen it before but had heard plenty of great things about it.

Fabulous movie! The lack of "realism" (not quite sure how to describe it) in the backdrops doesn't matter because they're so interesting to look at. Its disappointing that some scenes have been lost to history, since reading title cards doesn't have the same impact as the strong visual storytelling.

I used to really like Metropolis, especially since it reminded me of Blade Runner so much, but damn is it clumsy. Most of the films from that era I've seen are nowhere near as cumbersome, including Fritz Lang's other films. Especially Fritz Lang's other films.

I used to really like Metropolis, especially since it reminded me of Blade Runner so much, but damn is it clumsy. Most of the films from that era I've seen are nowhere near as cumbersome, including Fritz Lang's other films. Especially Fritz Lang's other films.

Yeah its not a film I'd rewatch immediately but it certainly held my interest the first time through.

It's probably known by everybody in britain but I really recommend the Secret Life of machines

http://www.secretlifeofmachines.com/

Basically it's a show that explain how stuff works or were made. It's really well done and instructive.

It start to be a bit old (end the 80's) but damn these episodes are good.

I post that here now because I was hoping to find some DVD on the double rainbow internet but it seems it doesn't exist in PAL and the NTSC version cost an arm.

The creator of this TV series even redirect to a torrent file.

48_big_robot.jpg

Oh they have Youtube links on the website. It's really well done, funny and fascinating.

It's probably known by everybody in britain but I really recommend the Secret Life of machines

http://www.secretlifeofmachines.com/

Basically it's a show that explain how stuff works or were made. It's really well done and instructive.

It start to be a bit old (end the 80's) but damn these episodes are good.

I post that here now because I was hoping to find some DVD on the double rainbow internet but it seems it doesn't exist in PAL and the NTSC version cost an arm.

The creator of this TV series even redirect to a torrent file.

48_big_robot.jpg

Oh they have Youtube links on the website. It's really well done, funny and fascinating.

I still remember a lot of the stuff I learned watching this late night as a teenager. I wish they'd make more.

I just saw Kick-Ass, and instead of trying to write something myself I'll just link to this post by James.

I still remember a lot of the stuff I learned watching this late night as a teenager. I wish they'd make more.

Oh, apparently they only have the car episode on youtube :( I want more.