ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

You're right, I un-spoilerized it =) I'm just really careful with these things. Youth in Revolt might be the sort of movie that if it's too hyped, you start expecting things that won't be there, because it's such an understated, funny film.

Youth in Revolt might be the sort of movie that if it's too hyped, you start expecting things that won't be there, because it's such an understated, funny film.

Well, I expected it to be kind of lame, so I'm glad to hear you say it's not, so that now I'll actually watch it.

I'll help by tempering your expectations, Groucho, by telling you that I found it enjoyable but not as rollicking as Rodi did. I can't remember why not, now, though. I used to be able to offer a 1 000 word critique of any film I'd ever seen. Now my old brain can only remember :tup:, :tmeh: or :tdown:

I used to be able to offer a 1 000 word critique of any film I'd ever seen. Now my old brain can only remember :tup:, :tmeh: or :tdown:

I can relate...I think it's the alcohol.

I'll help by tempering your expectations, Groucho, by telling you that I found it enjoyable but not as rollicking as Rodi did. I can't remember why not, now, though. I used to be able to offer a 1 000 word critique of any film I'd ever seen. Now my old brain can only remember :tup:, :tmeh: or :tdown:

Yeah I'm in that boat. It was pretty fun, it was better then most coming of age movies or whatever, but it was trying to be so god damn quirky hipster shit that seems to becoming a genre on it's own, so some of it is neat, some of it is just there for the sake of it.

Michael Cera is also starting to wear out his welcome as that character, but his alternate persona was pretty awesome.

but it was trying to be so god damn quirky hipster shit that seems to becoming a genre on it's own, so some of it is neat, some of it is just there for the sake of it.

Has been a genre of its own for like 10 years.

Has been a genre of its own for like 10 years.

Alright maybe I'm just noticing it more lately or ending up watching more movies with in. Or the type of quirkiness has changed to something more recognizable or something.

I do separate whatever that genre is doing from Wes Anderson's twee quirkiness stuff; which I really enjoy, it could just all just be a matter of execution.

Just saw Darkman. It's terrific, watch it. Maybe I should watch... that new Raimi film with the long name.

If you like fun Raimi horror, you should see Drag Me To Hell. It was marketed horribly, but it's great fun. Less splattering blood and stuff, but it's so confidently and meticulously crafted, it's ridiculous. It doesn't feel like there's a wasted or superfluous shot or sound effect or music cue in that movie.

If you like fun Raimi horror, you should see Drag Me To Hell. It was marketed horribly, but it's great fun. Less splattering blood and stuff, but it's so confidently and meticulously crafted, it's ridiculous. It doesn't feel like there's a wasted or superfluous shot or sound effect or music cue in that movie.

I really have to say, aside from the ending, he really was able to nail the 80s-90s style thriller movie without feeling like he was trying(like every other movie that trys to do it)

That, movie aside, is pretty impressive.

I do separate whatever that genre is doing from Wes Anderson's twee quirkiness stuff; which I really enjoy, it could just all just be a matter of execution.

I think that's an issue most of us have, we group things by certain characteristics and then refuse to include applicable material because we happen to like it while we don't care much for the stuff in the aforementioned group. Wes Anderson is probably responsible for the type of film we're talking about becoming so prevalent (I love Wes Anderson, but I'm just saying, he's not exempt and there's a lot to criticize about his films).

I think that's an issue most of us have, we group things by certain characteristics and then refuse to include applicable material because we happen to like it while we don't care much for the stuff in the aforementioned group. Wes Anderson is probably responsible for the type of film we're talking about becoming so prevalent (I love Wes Anderson, but I'm just saying, he's not exempt and there's a lot to criticize about his films).

Totally agree

Yeah I'm in that boat. It was pretty fun, it was better then most coming of age movies or whatever, but it was trying to be so god damn quirky hipster shit that seems to becoming a genre on it's own, so some of it is neat, some of it is just there for the sake of it.

I didn't find it obnoxious. And wherever it would tend to get a little pretentious, I'd just remember the godawful wankfest that was Zach Braff's Garden State and get things into perspective.

Finished rewatching the Firefly series yesterday.

Next on the list rewatching Serenity.

Firefly is still as amazing as it was the first time I saw it 6-7 years ago. Definitely a show that should've had multiple seasons instead of just 1/2 season and a movie.

That reminds me, has anybody watched this new show starring Nathan Fillion called Castle? Is it any good?

Castle is an extremely standard procedural, but it gets elevated by Fillion. <.< He seems to have a blast playing the role, and that makes it fun to watch. It got better in season 2, when the writers stared taking it less seriously. :P

Eh. It's a half-decent who-dunnit series. Nathan Fillion is the best thing about it, really.

I think the chemistry is really nice between all the characters. That's what carries the show. Otherwise it's good enough but nothing spectacular.

Finished rewatching the Firefly series yesterday.

Next on the list rewatching Serenity.

Firefly is still as amazing as it was the first time I saw it 6-7 years ago. Definitely a show that should've had multiple seasons instead of just 1/2 season and a movie.

Yay! :tup: It really was something special. There's that new book out featuring stories written by the show's writers if you're suffering from major withdrawals afterwards.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the film on your recent viewing. I had some strong thoughts as to why it was not a bigger hit.

For anyone in London, the Prince Charles Cinema is playing a Robocop/Terminator double bill on the 2nd June. They're playing it in that order, which is a shame because it's hard for the audience to come down from the wild comedy and action of Robocop to the more serious Terminator (Ryan from Hello Games and I went last time they did it).

My girlfriend just bought me lifetime membership at the PCC, so if anyone fancies seeing any of these films, like say THE LOST BOYS or WRATH OF KHAN, let me know. (You'll have to pay, obv, but it's cheap, you can drink beer during the movie and I'll be there!)

Edited by bbX1138

My girlfriend just bought me lifetime membership at the PCC, so if anyone fancies seeing any of these films, like say THE LOST BOYS or WRATH OF KHAN, let me know. (You'll have to pay, obv, but it's cheap, you can drink beer during the movie and I'll be there!)

Ooh! I might just take you up on that offer at some point. I can't see Lost Boys on the list, but I do see Wrath of Khan... excellent, excellent movie. Plus Once Upon A Time in the West is one of those films that was really designed to be seen at the cinema.

You must see Leslie Nielson in Forbidden Planet, that movie is nice.

Finished Das Boot just a few minutes ago. The German perspective was interesting to see, and it did a good job with plot pacing. Its a pretty raw look at war and a fascinating film in my opinion.

http://www.princecharlescinema.com/events/index.php#doublebills

5th July.

Also note that as I type, John Travolta is taking Nicolas Cage's FACE.... OFF.

Thou shalt not cryyyyy... or watch Travolta movies (sorry -- not for me! :))

Finished Das Boot just a few minutes ago. The German perspective was interesting to see, and it did a good job with plot pacing. Its a pretty raw look at war and a fascinating film in my opinion.

Ah yes, I really like the look of this, but I was so disappointed with the crappy quality of the subtitles on my DVD that I never got further than 20 mins in. I might check out the looooooong version (the TV series that they condensed into the movie) eventually.

Watched Rashomon last night. Pretty enjoyable, but not amazing. I later learned why it was so heralded (its place in history is pretty important) so that allowed me to appreciate it a bit more.

Ah yes, I really like the look of this, but I was so disappointed with the crappy quality of the subtitles on my DVD that I never got further than 20 mins in. I might check out the looooooong version (the TV series that they condensed into the movie) eventually.

Yeah I watched the loooooooong version. I had a couple hours to kill and wanted to get completely invested in something. The transition of the young crewmen into adults is subtle and really compelling to follow.

I have a membership to the Prince Charles, too! Let's do a mini-Thumbs cinema trip!

Recently, I've been watching a bunch of films. Too many to go into detail.

I had a mini-Arnie season, rewatching both Commando and Total Recall. I'd forgotten how much heady K. Dick sci-fi was in Total Recall, and Commando has much more of a sense of humour than I remembered, too. Plus I think that Arnold is a pretty good actor for the roles he took. He'd never win an Academy Award, but he certainly manages to be tough and hilarious without seeming pathetic - which helps both films a great deal. :tup: :tup:

I saw Mega Piranha, as well. Watching such a cynical, intentionally bad film made me get angry about the 'so bad it's good' culture, and that it's got to the stage where The Asylum can run off to Belize with $500,000 and make a film that got more of an audience on Syfy than Caprica did. I suppose people like feeling superior to their entertainment. :tdown:

After the talk of The Apartment - has anyone seen One, Two, Three? It's Billy Wilder's follow-up - a broad satire based around a brought-out-of-retirement James Cagney as a Coca-Cola executive farcing around Berlin, trying to sell Coke to the Russians and, eventually, trying to stop his boss' daughter from running off with a Communist.

I didn't like it too much - I thought the pacing was a bit stretched at times, and the satirical aspects were way too blunt, not to mention soft on the Americans - but it's a good piece of light entertainment. Interesting when compared with harder-nosed Cold War films, too. :tmeh: