ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I watched Universal Soldier: Regeneration; a 2009 film starring Jean Claude van Damme and Dolph Lundgren. Yes. Let that sink in.

I also watched Universal Soldier: Renegeration, just to see JCVD and Dolph Lundgren in an old school action movie done in 2009.

Saw this just as I was about to hit post. Nice coincidence. :grin:

Well Cobra was as 80's awesome as I had hoped it to be. :tup:

I finally got around to watching Drag me To Hell. Classic Raimi. Manages to be both Scary and funny at the same time. saw the ending coming a little bit, but it was so well executed I still got a kick out of it. Definitely worth seeing.

I watched a Spanish movie yesterday. It's called Torrente 3 - El protector.

Unbelievably hilarious movie about a fat cop in Madrid who is a hardcore fan of Athletico Madrid. He is also horny as hell apparently and ugly as hell.

The film is the third in the series of movies and it's couple of years old from 2005. They had as guest stars appearing in the film Oliver Stone quite "drunk", Guillermo del Toro and also other guys like Fernando Torres, Ivan Helguera and Iker Casillas.

I'm going to also watch the other two movies in the series, but I think the production values are very high in this third one and very low in the previous two.

Cool, apparently there is a fourth movie in production already.:tup:

Edited by Kolzig

Torrente 3 is legendary because of the great review Consolevania gave the game adaptation. Must-see:

S91dupQudvU

Escape from New York

I thought it was going to be an action movie but it's not. I liked it and I can certainly see why it's considered a classic B-Movie. Isaac Hayes had chandeliers on his car!

I just finished watching Visioneers (2008), a black comedy/drama starring Zach Galifianakis, set in a hyper corporate dystopia.

I don't want to say too much about the plot, because figuring out each element of the story is where this movie offers a lot of its enjoyment. Suffice it to say that in a world dominated by the Jeffers corporation, stress has begun to take its toll, with explosive results. Zach Galifianakis plays George Washington Winsterhammerman, a corporate drone who's begun to crack under the pressure.

Visioneers reminds me a lot of Moon, both take place in really smothering environments and star isolated protagonists who struggle to express themselves. But Visioneers has some light (and extremely dry) comedic elements.

It's really an amazing film, but a bit of a downer.

Heheh, I didn't know that Consolevania reviewed the game of the movie. I didn't know it either that the game was THAT bad, but it's a movie game so...

I watched during the weekend Torrente 1 and as I suspected it was a really low budget movie, but it had it's moments. It's labelled as a dark comedy officially and I guess it falls to that sector. I would give it :tmeh:

I hope the second movie improves a lot as the third one is at the moment my favourite of the series.

I also watched during the weekend couple of other movies. Because I watched the Universal Soldier: Renegeration movie, I had a feeling that I must see the original movie also as I had never seen that movie before. It was nothing special actually, it had a lot of elements that you can usually find from Roland Emmerich's movies (explosions). Something about this movie is not on the same 80's/early 90's level of awesome as Stallone and Arnold golden oldies. It was that kind of movie that I almost completely forgot scenes of it after I watched it. Not that good.

Yesterday on the list was Shoot Em Up. Clive Owen's action movie from 2007. The movie starts really normal and suddenly all hell breaks loose, that was really cool and puzzlingly weird. I have not seen this kind of straight forward action in a while. No explanations, just going and going and going... It's really over the top action. It has the weird references to Buggs Bunny and Elmer Fudd going on in every scene that Owen and Giamatti are in. Also the carrots, what the hell? :)

Children of Men is very good. Clive Owen is in that.

I'm on a kick with 80s and 90s action and sci-fi and sci-fi action. I have recently watched Escape from New York, Escape from LA and Total Recall and really enjoyed all of them (plus I bought The Road Warrior bluray on sale but haven't seen it yet), please recommend more movies of this general flavor, I have seen almost none of them so even the most obvious recommendations are cool, and if a movie is cheesy and even kind of dumb in a fun way...so much the better.

I went to see Four Lions last night. It's a surprisingly complex film, both very funny and also quite sad. Leaving the cinema we were all strangely silent for a good few minutes before we started talking about the bits which made us laugh the most.

I think it might turn out to be a fairly important work. It's very good anyway :tup:

Re: Four Lions:

It is indeed quite sobering at the end, where the jokes evaporate, but the disorganisation and misunderstandings continue and escalate to the inevitable.

I liked the police snipers too. No one was/is safe from Morris' withering eye/incompetence! :)

I'm on a kick with 80s and 90s action and sci-fi and sci-fi action. I have recently watched Escape from New York, Escape from LA and Total Recall and really enjoyed all of them (plus I bought The Road Warrior bluray on sale but haven't seen it yet), please recommend more movies of this general flavor, I have seen almost none of them so even the most obvious recommendations are cool, and if a movie is cheesy and even kind of dumb in a fun way...so much the better.

Under siege with Steven Seagal. Premier action cheese. Navy Seals with Charlie Sheen is of similar ilk. Should be able to get both for about 50p :grin:

I liked the story of CoM but I couldn't enjoy as much as it deserved due to the aforementioned Owen effect.

Edit: And sorry I always forget the damn multiquote thing :fart:

And the edit button?

Clive Owen was fine in Children of Men. It was that godawful hippie woman that spoilt it for me. It's still a great film, but she is awful.

Since when has responding to an opinion with a different opinion constituted the banning of the first opinion? I just find it curious how you can find Owen more annoying than such an irritating character.

Clive Owen is dreadful in that though. He brings the whole movie down. It would be a lovely movie without him.

Clive Owen is dreadful in that though. He brings the whole movie down. It would be a lovely movie without him.

"lovely"? :-/

Well, there's the obvious roll call of fantastic 80s sci-fi movies: RoboCop, Terminator (and 2), Aliens, Predator (and 2). If you haven't seen these, you've definitely overlooked the classics. I guess there's also Universal Soldier. Hmmm. Not sure I'd recommend anything beyond that.

What did you think of Escape from LA? I haven't seen it myself, and I watched Escape from NY straight after Chinatown -- it seemed unbelievably bad after watching that. I'm sure if I'd watched it after watching Dark Star (which I love) it would have seemed like a masterpiece, though.

So I've been looking forward to Shutter Island, and heard it was coming out today on Bluray. Except that's only in the US. It's not out here until August. I wonder if the bluray will be ripped and pirated long bef-- oh wait it's already all over the torrent sites.

Saw Daybreakers today. Surprisingly well crafted movie, in terms of atmosphere and world building. Great for total cinematography whores like me.

As far as the story goes, it's a little bit campy with the overindulgent gore and corny dialogue, but it does all of those things in just the right capacity. I was fairly impressed with the film, though I didn't have high expectations for it to begin with.

If I remember correctly, isn't it true that most of the most legendary action and scifi movies of the 80's and 90's were produced by Carolco? Which then went down the drain when they believed too much in Renny Harlin and his Cutthroat Island, the Pirates of the Caribbean of the 90's.