ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

So I've been looking out for movies with great dialogue. The Coens (The Big Lebowski especially) come to mind, as do Casablanca and The Big Sleep. I got Sweet Smell of Success to watch a few days ago, as someone mentioned the dialogue was good. Charlie Kaufman writes good dialogue.

Anything I'm missing? Surely films have had great dialogue writers over the years? The sharper and wittier the writing, the better.

:) Thanks in advance for any help.

The Squid and the Whale.

All About Eve.

Annie Hall.

So I've been looking out for movies with great dialogue. The Coens (The Big Lebowski especially) come to mind, as do Casablanca and The Big Sleep. I got Sweet Smell of Success to watch a few days ago, as someone mentioned the dialogue was good. Charlie Kaufman writes good dialogue.

Anything I'm missing? Surely films have had great dialogue writers over the years? The sharper and wittier the writing, the better.

Yes, the Coens have some fantastic dialogue. If you enjoy rapid fire stuff, you should check out their worst film: Intolerable Cruelty - some great dialogue there, and it's an enjoyable watch. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang has some really great dialogue, too. Billy Wilder movies tend to have great dialogue, too (Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd., etc.) Woody Allen is usually very reliable (Annie Hall, etc.), too.

Toblix asked a very similar question for recommendations in the past... I wonder how he got on? Maybe he could recommend some others?

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wold (written by the guy who wrote Sweet Smell of Succes)

Glengarry Glen Ross

Deadwood

His Girl Friday.

How about In The Loop? That has some brilliant sequences. On the level of sharp, gag-based, crazy dialogue, one of the best scripts I've come across for a while.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wold (written by the guy who wrote Sweet Smell of Succes)

Surely Ernest Lehman, to whom you're referring, mostly lifted from the Edward Albee play? From what I can recall, his major changes were just in setting, and the dialogue was the same.

That said, he wrote North By Northwest, which I remember having a great script. Cary Grant is such a suave gent, but in that film he's also such an oddball.

Surely Ernest Lehman, to whom you're referring, mostly lifted from the Edward Albee play? From what I can recall, his major changes were just in setting, and the dialogue was the same.

Yes, I'd never read the source play, so I can't comment on how much of it was changed. Regardless, the dialog is brilliant.

I just watched The White Stripes Under Great White Northern Lights, which documents their 2007 tour they did of every single Canadian province. It's a must-see if you're a White Stripes fan.

I've been taking a break from movies now.

I have mostly been watching season one of Madventures. Hilarious and great backpacker show from couple of Finnish guys. The first season was made around 2001/2002.

Just got back from seeing Iron Man 2. I liked it a lot, it had fun set-pieces, balls-to-the-wall action, funny dialouge, and plenty of charm, primarily provided by RDJ. Almost outshining him was Rockwell, though, who goes all out with his crazy I-think-I'm-loveable-but-actually-I-come-off-as-a-douche persona. Rourke did a competent job as Whiplash, but the role doesn't demand much. The female leads were kinda stiff, but L. Jackson was being L. Jackson to the fullest.

There were plenty of nerdy shout-outs, and my even-geekier-than-me friend ended up squealing several times, especially at the after-credit scene. Overall it's not as strong as the first one, but I love that movie a whole lot. If you like Iron Man, you should see this film.

I just saw it as well. I have a hard time seeing it as better or worse. I think I liked it more than the first, but it was very much more of the same (not as a negative thing). I liked the villain better, but a little less personal development concerning Tony. Other than that, I pretty much agree with you.

Also,

was that a prototype of Captain America's shield being used to level Stark's machine? xD

Also also... Where do War Machines bullets come from? O_O

Ironman 2 is coming 5th May to Vaasa so I'll be going to check it out during next week most likely.

Start of the summer Hollywood movies.

5th May Ironman 2

12th May Robin Hood

19th May Jerry Bruckheimer's Prince of Persia

I have a strong feeling that Prince of Persia will be crap. At least all the trailers make it look like it will be crap and waste of time.

Interesting point is that I will go see PoP anyway, even if I think it is not going to be that good.

It's the Mechner connection that makes me want to see it.

Interesting point is that I will go see PoP anyway, even if I think it is not going to be that good.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Four Lions. On general release May 7th.

http://www.four-lions.co.uk/

:tup:

Looking forward to it, but the trailer just doesn't as funny as it should be. Bad timing? Bad editing? Not polished enough dialogue? Can't put my finger on it, but although the whole idea is wonderful, the actual film doesn't look as actually hilarious as it should (and has the potential to) be.

This is what sucks. If he weren't in any way given a writing or story credit, I'd avoid the movie completely and tell it to blow it out it's hole. Whatever that saying means.

I watched yesterday American History X.

I thought first that I've never seen it before, but after watching I have strong beliefs that I have actually seen it once before, but a long time ago.

Next Saturday is Iron Man 2 time.

I watched yesterday American History X.

I thought first that I've never seen it before, but after watching I have strong beliefs that I have actually seen it once before, but a long time ago.

Best. Story. Ever. :tup:

(Sorry, just messing with you. It made me laugh, as I was expecting a big review.)

Heh, yeah.

I'm lost with words with that movie.

It was quite shocking in all possible ways.

Iron Man 2.

A mess of a movie. An entertaining mess of a movie, but a mess of a movie nonetheless. All those plotlines fighting for control, and no core idea or emotion or arc... brrrr.

Off to see it tonight! Followed by 'Introducing' a band playing note-for-note the 'Entroducing' album. Should be blinder!

Iron Man 2.

A mess of a movie. An entertaining mess of a movie, but a mess of a movie nonetheless. All those plotlines fighting for control, and no core idea or emotion or arc... brrrr.

pretty much, yes.

I felt pretty much the same as Rodi and tm_drummer.

The effects were nicely done and it was a very typical summer movie.

I had a weird weekend, I watched some old and some new action movies.

Ironman 2 on saturday evening and also during the weekend I watched Stallone's old Cobra from 1985. I had first wanted to see this ultraviolent movie when I was 8 years old and I saw the VHS tape box of the movie at a friend's place. It took me 20 years to see it, but I finally did it. One might think that why an 8 year old could even have this movie on video, but that's just how it is.

I also watched Universal Soldier: Renegeration, just to see JCVD and Dolph Lundgren in an old school action movie done in 2009.