ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I honestly don't think that the implied environmentalism is that overt, I think it's more of a populist anti-colonization/"make sure to use technology right!" message that most anyone can agree with.

Yup, that's precisely what I got from it, too. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Check out this "review":

AVATAR is a visually stunning, but slow, shallow and abhorrent, science fiction adventure pitting evil human capitalists against heroic, spiritually sensitive aliens on the planet Pandora, who worship a false diety and nature. Too graphically intense for children, AVATAR has an abhorrent New Age, pagan, anti-capitalist worldview that promotes goddess worship and the destruction of the human race.

That is awesome :tup: I was only aware of people whining about how it was a 'white guilt trip', obviously tying it into racism and other bullshit.

Just watched Inglourious Basterds, and for the first time I found myself enjoying a Tarantino movie (not that I've watched all of them). It was the long dialogue scenes that did it for me (the opening one being especially magnificent), and I'm wondering if I should go back and review some of his older films and see if I can focus more on enjoying the dialogue.

I also watched Dog Day Afternoon, which was awesome (Pacino playing an actual role, and not just parodying himself).

Anyway, any other dialogue-heavy films you connoisseurs can recommend? 12 Angry Men is another one that comes to mind as awesome.

Was film dialogue better in the sixties/seventies? Whenever I watch old films I find myself more interested in the dialogue than I can remember from any more recent films (except for Inglorious Basterds, of course, which may be attempting to recreate the style of older films, what do I know).

Sorry for this unstructured post, but I thought I'd at least check if you guys could recommend some awesome talkies. I know nothing about film.

Anyway, any other dialogue-heavy films you connoisseurs can recommend? 12 Angry Men is another one that comes to mind as awesome.

(Dons film student cap) Tarantino is particularly renown for his "badinage", but personally I think his best dialogue is found in Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. They're also probably his two best movies. Which ones have you seen of his?

As for other dialogue-heavy movies, things that leap to mind are: Billy Wilder movies (Sunset Blvd, Some Like It Hot, Double Indemnity, etc.), Woody Allen movies (Annie Hall, Manhattan, etc.), Glengarry Glen Ross, Network and even more recently, the Coen Bros., have quite a way with words sometimes.

There's some amazing gems of movies amongst those links...

I saw the Center of the World, Frost/Nixon and Shattered Glass over the Christmas.

First one is a drama that reminds me of Closer. I ran into it by accident while skipping the channels at night and it was really captivating. It has quite low rating on imdb but I believe it's because inclusion of sensitive material, even though erotic scenes are done without usual accompanying goofiness.

Also, if you're going to have a stripper/prostitute in your movie and it isn't something like 'Pretty Woman' (in fact movie is more of an antithesis of it) people are going to be unhappy.

Frost/Nixon most of you have probably seen. I won't deny that it's a good movie but basic premise is quite flawed, as it offers quite distorted view of reality, at least from what Wikipedia tells me. But Langella as Nixon + Sheen, Rockwell and others make up for that.

Shattered Glass is about 'the New Republic' journalist who... well, I don't want to spoil it. If you're going to watch it you will probably know what's going on but I didn't and quite enjoyed it. Although I concede that it might not appeal to everyone: in short it's just two hour film about journalism and ethics. Things to notice: Hayden Christiansen in performance that isn't shit.

edit: If anyone has any recommendations for movies in similar vein to any of above three, I'd be happy to hear them.

(Dons film student cap) Tarantino is particularly renown for his "badinage", but personally I think his best dialogue is found in Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. They're also probably his two best movies. Which ones have you seen of his?
Except for Basterds, I've seen Jackie Brown, the Kill Bills and Death Proof. I had a plan to see both Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, a plan you just confirmed is a good one.

Thanks for the other recommendations, I'll look into them.

Except for Basterds, I've seen Jackie Brown, the Kill Bills and Death Proof.

Oh man, you've been watching all the wrong ones! I thought Jackie Brown in particular was dire :tdown:

Reservoir Dogs is good but over rated whilst Pulp Fiction is one of my all time faves. It can be watched an almost infinite number of times and still be thoroughly enjoyable :tup:

Yes, I thought Jackie Brown was quite disappointing.

Anyway, I just came back from Sherlock Holmes and Nine. Holmes is good fun, but a bit messy, but NINE is EXCELLENT. Apart from a few songs which are boring, Daniel Day-Lewis gives a fantastic performance. OK, one kind of could have seen that coming from him. But I loved it.

Thoroughly (and surprisingly) enjoyed Sherlock Holmes. It may not herald a new era of cinema, but it certainly shows a u-turn for Guy Ritchie's career (looks like you may have dumped him too soon, Madge). Despite being a CGI tastic action movie, I'm shocked to say that it captured the spirit of the original stories really well. Bring on the sequels (I can't believe I'm saying that). Oh, and make sure there's no more of the "explain everything" Holmes -- Downey's version just came across as unlikeably smug.

Except for Basterds, I've seen Jackie Brown, the Kill Bills and Death Proof. I had a plan to see both Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, a plan you just confirmed is a good one.

Thanks for the other recommendations, I'll look into them.

Something else just leapt to mind: Being a courtroom drama, it's incredibly dialogue heavy, but it's also very good: Judgement at Nuremberg

I think I have a little time to see a movie today, though I doubt it's something I'll watch in the theatre. I feel like watching a zombie movie. I've never seen a zombie movie besides Shaun of the Dead and Day of the Dead (the original), so I'd like any recommendations (I hear 28 Days Later is worth seeing) - even if it's something so bad it's good, like Plan 9 From Outer Space. Thanks.

I saw some great movies lately including Gangs of New York and Piano player(I hope I got the name right). I don't want to spoil more than that they are both really, really, really,... good.

Just got finished watching Sugar... not the typical feel-good sports movie, more about being a person in completely unfamiliar territory and the promise (or lack thereof) of the American dream. Also, you don't really have to be familiar with baseball to enjoy it. Probably lands at least in my top 20 of the year, maybe better.

Thoroughly (and surprisingly) enjoyed Sherlock Holmes. It may not herald a new era of cinema, but it certainly shows a u-turn for Guy Ritchie's career (looks like you may have dumped him too soon, Madge). Despite being a CGI tastic action movie, I'm shocked to say that it captured the spirit of the original stories really well. Bring on the sequels (I can't believe I'm saying that). Oh, and make sure there's no more of the "explain everything" Holmes -- Downey's version just came across as unlikeably smug.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear :tup:. I've been hoping this would be a good, mindless romp but Ritchie can be a mite unpredictable quality wise.

I'm not sure it'd be fair to call Sherlock Holmes a u-turn in Ritchie's career though - I thought his last film was jolly good fun too.

I'm not sure it'd be fair to call Sherlock Holmes a u-turn in Ritchie's career though - I thought his last film was jolly good fun too.

I only meant in terms of box office. I think his last two movies were flops?

I saw BRONSON yesterday. That was something rather special. Check the trailer. I don't know if it's already out (I saw a screener from a film festival), but I'd definitely recommend it.

I saw it a few days ago and I'm still unsure about whether it was good or just average. However, Tom Hardy was really, really good in that role. And since it's just about him, the whole movie is well worth watching.

Yes, absolutely. The thing is, the film's plot is just like every other biographical piece: kind of not making for a great movie. It's about the character. And boy, does that ever satisfy! What a performance.

Did anyone ever watch much of TV's Angel? I'm currently on Season 3, and I've been struggling with it a bit. It's supposed to be watched after Season 6 of Buffy (which was a gruelling season with lots of misery, but ultimately worth it) and going back Angel -- it just feels so... childish. I guess Season 6 of Buffy really put me through the mill, but it had so much to say about growing up, taking responsibilities and how life isn't always a bunch of roses -- and how to deal with the fact that it isn't always a bunch of roses -- that Angel just seems like "back to fantasy land -- with all the one-liners and two dimensional baddies who always turn good by the end".

I'm guessing no-one can remember going through this, even if they did stay with both series for so long... but I just needed to post about it.

Also, I've managed to avoid spoilers thus far, so I'd appreciate it if any replies were careful not to spoil anything. Thanks!

I never watched a whole lot of Angel - I think I probably had similar problems with that you do now. However the final season (5?) is excellent, if only for the comedy "Angel gets turned into a muppet" episode.

Did anyone ever watch much of TV's Angel? I'm currently on Season 3, and I've been struggling with it a bit. It's supposed to be watched after Season 6 of Buffy (which was a gruelling season with lots of misery, but ultimately worth it) and going back Angel -- it just feels so... childish. I guess Season 6 of Buffy really put me through the mill, but it had so much to say about growing up, taking responsibilities and how life isn't always a bunch of roses -- and how to deal with the fact that it isn't always a bunch of roses -- that Angel just seems like "back to fantasy land -- with all the one-liners and two dimensional baddies who always turn good by the end".

I'm guessing no-one can remember going through this, even if they did stay with both series for so long... but I just needed to post about it.

Also, I've managed to avoid spoilers thus far, so I'd appreciate it if any replies were careful not to spoil anything. Thanks!

I would say that overall Angel is better than Buffy, the total character development seems more refined, although it happens more in the later series. The best seasons are probably 4 and 5, though 5 is rushed with the forewarning of being cancelled.