ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I just watched Armageddon for laughs last night, since it's just about to get phased out of Netflix Watch Instantly. And... well, I laughed quite a bit. That movie is absolutely ridiculous, with its cookie-cutter plot, typecast characters, and abundance of explosions. Despite it's horribleness, it just shows that Michael Bay was at least able to create an entertaining movie before the advent of fully CG characters, when he turns out total sacks of shit like Transformers 2.

Also, some material for another " top 10 worst video game movie adaptations ever" video.

cijrdspfceU

That just looks like complete waste of time.

Why bother even make something generic crap like that.

Looks as silly as the old Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter movies, but SF at least had Raul Julia in very weird role, too bad it was his last.

Oh, WOW. That wasn't a joke? That is an actual film?

So-bad-it's-good movie?

Maggie Q scares me. There is something not right with her body.

When a rogue fighter doesn't play by the rules... his thirst for power threatens to destroy the universe!

That movie looks good. I've never seen a so-bad-it's-good movie I've enjoyed (I've yet to see Plan 9 From Outer Space), so I'm actually looking forward to that.

Then again I should just rent Street Fighter.

Edit: Saw Slumdog Millionaire a few days ago. I liked it. Planning to watch Twilight Samurai tonight. No, it is not a b-movie, or a cartoon.

Edited by Kroms

Saw A Serious Man last night and loved it. Wonderful. (Although I can imagine 99% of the audience thinking it was boring with no story -- it IS very low key and doesn't have a traditional plot and ends abruptly and not much happens -- but I loved it! :))

Saw A Serious Man last night and loved it. Wonderful. (Although I can imagine 99% of the audience thinking it was boring with no story -- it IS very low key and doesn't have a traditional plot and ends abruptly and not much happens -- but I loved it! :))

I really liked that one, too!

I've seen a few films over the last week or two.

- A Serious Man is one of my favourite films from this year.

- I didn't get on well with the adaptation of JM Coetzee's Disgrace at all.

- I finally saw (500) Days of Summer, and it incensed me. I'd even say it offended me on one level. A couple of potentially saving graces, though. I won't go into it; this is a Recommendations thread, after all.

So: Ponyo! I finally saw this last weekend, and I think it's a good one. Probably the most obviously flawed Ghibli movie. But when it works, it's a real delight. As everyone has had time to point out, it's very similar to My Neighbour Totoro.

I thought the dub was good enough, although Liam Neeson was pretty weak. Probably offset by Tina Fey being great, though.

And even though the voice actors don't attract attention to themselves in the film, the promotional campaign has definitely made much of 'Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Lily Tomlin' etc, so when they finally do come up, it's potentially distracting. The two 'Disney owns your soul' kids weren't bad, but a little annoying. Especially with

I saw it with a cinema screen full of kids (at least 70/30), and they seemed to enjoy it immensely. Which can be nothing but A Good Thing. I guess I'll get to see a subtitled screening with a load of middle aged film critics in a month or two.

Especially with

Ahaha. My girlfriend and I will now occasionally sing that at each other just for the hell of it. It's so laughably awful.

I saw it with a cinema screen full of kids (at least 70/30), and they seemed to enjoy it immensely. Which can be nothing but A Good Thing. I guess I'll get to see a subtitled screening with a load of middle aged film critics in a month or two.

When I saw it there were only two other people in the theater besides the girl and myself. It was the last day of it's Calgary run, and the late show too, so I guess nobody cared anymore. Always weird to see a movie in that kind of setting.

I've seen Fantastic Mr. Fox now twice in the cinema. I just asked myself: which movie do I really want to see? Imagine my surprise when the answer was one that I already saw the previous week. It's so charming.

But don't worry, I also saw Armored.

(Which I CANNOT pronounce any other way than the 'Robert Florence' way, the way he pronounced 'Armored Core'. Arrrrrrmored. A~rrrrrolling~mored.)

Especially with

What. The fuck. Are they serious?

I've seen a lot of people (justifiably) complain about "auto-tuning" lately and I just want to make teeny weeny pedantic point (forgive me): Auto-Tune is actually the name of a piece of software. "Auto-Tuning" something is like saying "Photoshopping" something, it's not the name of a technique like "air-brushing".

[/pedantic mode]

Sorry, just really wanted to say that :)

I've seen a lot of people (justifiably) complain about "auto-tuning" lately and I just want to make teeny weeny pedantic point (forgive me): Auto-Tune is actually the name of a piece of software. "Auto-Tuning" something is like saying "Photoshopping" something, it's not the name of a technique like "air-brushing".

[/pedantic mode]

Sorry, just really wanted to say that :)

Yeah, that's quite jarringly pedantic. :deranged:

Language has a way of streamlining, adopting and shifting for its best interest - taking the names of brands, software, applications, etc. and extrapolating them for ease and understanding. While that may have relatively negative consequences such as Googling, Photoshopping, 'playing Nintendo', or whatever, I'd say that 'auto-tuning' is fair enough for common, casual usage.

Certainly more pithy than 'used-a-pitch-correction-plug-in-on-vocal-track' - which is a notion I expressed in one word, used in context.

Edited by Nevsky

It may have been pedantic, but I didn't know Auto-Tune was a piece of software, and now I do.

Knowledge is power!

Going to go buy tickets for the Avatar premiere weekend tonight.

Even though I think the movie will be quite possibly very bad and not really for me, I will still remember that day for a very long time because that will be the first 3D movie in my little town. :tup:

Weekend? It doesn't premiere on the 16th over there? I bought tickets just last week. It'll be my first IMAX 3D movie! I'm with a group of 7, going all the way to Amsterdam to see it. It'll be grand. :D

I think 17th will propably be the "first" day, but the actual official premiere is usually on Friday for all movies in Finland.

We'll be watching it on saturday 19th.

Yeah, that's quite jarringly pedantic. :deranged:

Language has a way of streamlining, adopting and shifting for its best interest - taking the names of brands, software, applications, etc. and extrapolating them for ease and understanding. While that may have relatively negative consequences such as Googling, Photoshopping, 'playing Nintendo', or whatever, I'd say that 'auto-tuning' is fair enough for common, casual usage.

Well it wasn't an attack on you, it's just something I've seen a lot of recently.

Well it wasn't an attack on you, it's just something I've seen a lot of recently.

Yeah, sorry about the strong response. Knowledge is power, I agree. :tup:

Over the weekend, I watched:

The Terminator - A surprisingly dated display of brilliance from James Cameron.

Aliens - A surprisingly undated display of briliance from James Cameron.

Paper Heart - Interesting, heartwarming, charming fudge-up of fact and fiction.

Manhattan Murder Mystery - One of my favourite Woody Allen films, great to see him sinking his teeth into a plot-heavy genre flick for a change. Lots of humour and good character moments too.

Cassandra's Dream - Almost the opposite of above. Some flashes of inspiration, but mostly a bit too dry, turgid and dull. Has to be expected, though, Allen does still make a film a year.