ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

A movie theatre projector would have to have quite a bit higher resolution than FullHD. 4 times higher is about 8.3MP, or about the resolution of a frame of regular 35mm film. FullHD is good for big screens in your home, but it still was never meant for projection in a movie theatre. I wonder what the resolution is digitally projected movies.

A movie theatre projector would have to have quite a bit higher resolution than FullHD. 4 times higher is about 8.3MP, or about the resolution of a frame of regular 35mm film. FullHD is good for big screens in your home, but it still was never meant for projection in a movie theatre. I wonder what the resolution is digitally projected movies.

I believe that in the near future (or now) it is 4K, being either 4096 × 1714 or 3996 × 2160. the standard would have been (or still is) 2K.

Yeah, I've dealt with projectionists at three venues with new digital projectors, and they all said they were around 4K. The national space centre here in the UK has a dome that uses several overlapping 4K projectors, which is pretty amazing.

That's about right for the fancy new projector my theater uses for digital. Though I will point out (responding to brkl) that the main advantage of 35mm is that there is no resolution. It's just light, pure and simple.

Ehm, there's no resolution in pixel terms, but the amount of detail a given film can preserve depends on its grain structure, on which the biggest influences are the film speed and type of developer used. I only know about the still photography side of this, but I guess the film is the same or similar.

Fair enough. Point conceded. Usually when people ask me about what resolution a film is at, I just get frustrated because they want to know a pixel count.

Ehm, there's no resolution in pixel terms, but the amount of detail a given film can preserve depends on its grain structure, on which the biggest influences are the film speed and type of developer used. I only know about the still photography side of this, but I guess the film is the same or similar.

Yeah, there's still limitations, even if they're not measured in pixels. I'm pretty sure an 8K scan of a print would be absolutely indistinguishable from the original for all major intents and purposes... right?

Yeah, there's still limitations, even if they're not measured in pixels. I'm pretty sure an 8K scan of a print would be absolutely indistinguishable from the original for all major intents and purposes... right?

Dependant on the actual size of the screen then yes, it could well seem identical, despite technically not being.

8K as in roughly 8000x4000? If you could actually get a scanner with that much resolution (the dpi numbers manufacturers give are generally way higher than the actual performance), it would be overkill. But then there are movies shot on 65mm wide film that have heaps and heaps of detail.

Oh, actually, you were talking about scanning prints. No problem with that, though you really don't need that much resolution. Scanning actual film is problematic. It's really difficult to get all of the dynamic range (all the shadow detail as well as highlight detail). A print never has as much dynamic range as the actual film.

Dependant on the actual size of the screen then yes, it could well seem identical, despite technically not being.

? Size of the screen?

8K as in roughly 8000x4000? If you could actually get a scanner with that much resolution (the dpi numbers manufacturers give are generally way higher than the actual performance), it would be overkill. But then there are movies shot on 65mm wide film that have heaps and heaps of detail.

Oh, actually, you were talking about scanning prints. No problem with that, though you really don't need that much resolution. Scanning actual film is problematic. It's really difficult to get all of the dynamic range (all the shadow detail as well as highlight detail). A print never has as much dynamic range as the actual film.

Well I know they scanned Blade Runner in at 8K when they were cleaning it up.

Well, if there were any scratches or such on the film, they wouldn't follow the film's grain structure. But I don't know anything about that stuff, apart from the fact that edit marks are way easier to hide if you resize the image smaller than the size you were editing it in.

I hate it when people INSIST on talking about DPI when and after I tell them that the image is for a website and I don't give a shit what DPI the file they deliver to me is in. They still come back and say, is that 1200 pixels at 75dpi? Yes! Yes it is, fuck you. :(

SO anyway, movies...

I saw Paranormal Activity. It was OK. There were a couple of scary moments. On the whole though the build-up is extremely slow, (without the character development being all that engrossing) and the ending cuts things short just as they are starting to get interesting.

On the whole, extremely over-hyped. Blair Witch Project was better, as indeed was the McPherson Tape (look it up, quite entertaining in fact).

So I finally rented Up and I'm just curious why the fuck everyone loves it so much?

The heart wrenching Pixar moments shot its load within the first 10-15 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I love sad stories even though I know a typical Pixar movie always has a few minutes where they attempt to suck the tears right out of you, but why wasn't the couple's history interspersed in between all that off the wall wacky shit? Wouldn't that have played more to the benefit of the underlying love story, which is supposed to make the core of what's good about the movie (or so I hear), instead of light references around the climax of the movie?

And then there was all that bizarre nonsensical unfunny shit all throughout the movie. Talking dogs, rainbow birds, and an obnoxious fat kid all ended up incredibly one dimensional and played into the ground. Just siphons for jokes, very light on character.Throw in an intensely archetypal isolated villian and it's like the Adam West Batman movie (which is still a lot of fun), except instead of the silly overdramatic moment where Batman figures out Catwoman's real identity, it's a movie trying to jam a real lifelong love story in the middle of the shark repellent scene.

I usually find Pixar movies pretty good, even if they all tend to be uncreative, unchallenging, and intensely predictable, but here I just feel sort of isolated from humanity now for hardly seeing any merit in a movie that got rave reviews all across the board.

Aghhh,

Ponyo *finally* arrived to my hometown to the movie theater (yes, we have only ONE movie theater, but it's getting better at least), but the copy in circulation here is the swedish dubbed version, wtf!

Where's the original japanese version or at least the crappy finnish dub?

Oh well, there's always the dvd version coming soon...

Aghhh,

Ponyo *finally* arrived to my hometown to the movie theater (yes, we have only ONE movie theater, but it's getting better at least), but the copy in circulation here is the swedish dubbed version, wtf!

Where's the original japanese version or at least the crappy finnish dub?

That's very weird. My girlfriend saw the subbed version in Turku a good few weeks ago, and that was playing alongside the Finndub, if I recall correctly.

I'm getting to see an advance screening of this on Sunday, which makes me very excited. Although, it will most likely be the Disney Dub, so I'm cautious.

So I finally rented Up and I'm just curious why the fuck everyone loves it so much?

Wow, "uncreative, unchallenging, and intensely predictable... hardly seeing any merit"? You've set yourself up in a water-tight cocoon of antagonism, there, and that's not to quote from the spoiler-bit. I just tried to write up my own (conflicted, not-raving, still impressed by the subtleties) take on the film, but, well, maybe later.

Wow, "uncreative, unchallenging, and intensely predictable... hardly seeing any merit"? You've set yourself up in a water-tight cocoon of antagonism, there, and that's not to quote from the spoiler-bit.

You'd better believe it. I expect a lot from animation.

I consistently watch House, which has been spectacular currently.

And, I can suggest Ghost in the Shell SAC and/or Neon Genesis Evangelion if you're into Sci-Fi anime. They really are the benchmarks.

You'd better believe it. I expect a lot from animation.

Are there any examples of animated films that are up to your standards?

The theater I saw Ponyo at only had the Disney Dub. Though a bit irritating at times, it really wasn't that bad. Liam Neeson is always appreciated.

No, absolutely no animation is up to my high standards.

(Seriously though, I think a few pages back in this very thread I recommended quite a lot, unless it was just some good anime. I don't really want to list all of the animation, animators, and artists I like, because it'll turn into me boasting and rambling. There's still a lot of stuff I do like, sometimes the usual suspects and sometimes not. Maybe it's better for PM? I just thought Up was pretty mediocre and that Pixar isn't always the biggest studio to rave about.)

I enjoyed UP. It looked gorgeous, I enjoyed a lot of the comedy business, and I thought they fit in the more poignant stuff well. I agree the story, structure and villain are hugely underdeveloped, though.

I consistently watch House, which has been spectacular currently.

And, I can suggest Ghost in the Shell SAC and/or Neon Genesis Evangelion if you're into Sci-Fi anime. They really are the benchmarks.

I'll give you Ghost in the Shell, but Eva is a master's thesis on how animes use constant existential navel-gazing to ruin perfectly good shows about giant robots.

And if you're going to be talking about anime how can you leave out the one in your avatar? Mushi-shi is an excellent show, and it's available in its entirety for free on FUNimation's site.

I'll give you Ghost in the Shell, but Eva is a master's thesis on how animes use constant existential navel-gazing to ruin perfectly good shows about giant robots.

And if you're going to be talking about anime how can you leave out the one in your avatar? Mushi-shi is an excellent show, and it's available in its entirety for free on FUNimation's site.

Hey, it was a TV thread, I wasn't sure how far I could take it ;)

Mushi shi is phenomenal by the way. Excellent artstyle, coupled with interesting episodic narrative and music to die for. And the supernatural!