ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I saw The Imiginarium of Dr Parnassus last week and I'm sure it wont be everybodies cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.

It's out already?

I saw The Imiginarium of Dr Parnassus last week and I'm sure it wont be everybodies cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.

Whoa, that came out? I thought it was indefinitely limbofied.

Whoa, that came out? I thought it was indefinitely limbofied.

No, thanks to the (spoiler) mystical and nebulous nature of Heath Ledger's character, Gilliam was able to recast him for the necessary scenes with Jonny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law. According to Gilliam, it turned out to make the film even richer.

I just saw Drag Me To Hell. It was predictable, and at times plain absurd, but it was also funny, thrilling, and scary. Perfect film for a Halloween evening.

In case you're considering watching all nine seasons of The X-Files, plus the two movies, my pro tip is: don't. Or, at least, only watch the good ones. For example, anything with Darin Morgan's name anywhere near it.

The biggest plus with this whole pointless thing is that I've been queuing up all the TV episodes from this fall, so I should have quality TV to last me till Christmas.

Oh, and bonus question for Americans (or anyone who knows): what's the deal with Doggett's awesome tone of voice? Sometimes he did this thing where his tone went down right at the end of questions, and it was awesome.

Also, Gillian Anderson's laughter is awesome. I think she laughed twice (maybe thrice) during the whole show, and it saved whatever episode it was in.

Also, it's awesome when they use the same actor for various different minor parts in the show because it's an unknown guy who nobody'll recognize, only it's Locke from Lost.

Also, it's awesome when they use the same actor for various different minor parts in the show because it's an unknown guy who nobody'll recognize, only it's Locke from Lost.

Are you sure they were unrelated characters? He had a minor role in the "end of the world" conspiracy episodes in the show, from what I remember. He was also a major character, if I also remember correctly (it's been a while), on Millennium. So, clearly, he was a favourite of Chris Carter and not exactly unknown back then.

Funny enough, I downloaded season 1 of X-Files a while ago because of nostalgic and/or bored reasons. Haven't gotten around to it yet though.

I keep meaning to watch the final season of X-Files, and somehow have avoided spoilers for it all these years

I will kill any of you who tricks me into ending this run now

I used to love it and watched it from the very first pilot onwards, for many seasons; but eventually I got bored even before the Moulder-less series.

I actually tried to do this last summer, but life intervened about halfway through season 4. I kinda want to finish now.

vEM5B4P8PIg

Bored to Death, a new show on HBO starring Jason Schwartzman of Rushmore fame and Zach Galifianakis of the Hangover. And Ted Danson too! I can't wait to see this.

Been watching this. It is good.

Also from HBO and worth watching is the animated series The Life and Times of Tim. It's sort of like Curb Your Enthusiasm but more absurd and a lot easier to watch.

I keep meaning to watch the final season of X-Files, and somehow have avoided spoilers for it all these years

I will kill any of you who tricks me into ending this run now

Spoiler: the ending is shit.

Of what I've seen, season six of the X-files has the highest density of episodes I like. I'm mainly interested in the standalone episodes. I find the whole conspiracy thing a bit tiresome and inevitably unfulfilling. I prefer it when they take an idea and run with it for a while, without being too restricted by the overarching lore nonsense.

Spoiler: the ending is shit.

Was that the episode with

Mulder and Scully basically running off together, and something to do with faith and a crucifix and "OMG maybe things will be okay" at the end?

I've arrived in Los Angeles for my 3 month Hollywood internship. Yesterday I visited the splendiferous Grove shopping center and it was literally plastered all over with ads for Sherlock Holmes. I so want to see it! But it doesn't arrive until Christmas. Tagline? Holmes for the Holiday :)

I watched the "Epitaph 1" bonus episode of Dollhouse, and now I've moved onto season 2.

Epitaph 1 was nice, finally seeing what the "ultimate purpose" of Dollhouse was and its ramifications cough

StephenKing'sCell

cough. Given season 2 I now wonder if this is cannon or just a 'possible' future.

Season 2 is off off to a good start, maintaining the quality of the end of season 1. And what the hell if the entire cast of BSG aren't parading through at at least one per episode. Perfectly fine by me.

Couldn't it be both?

On a different note; what's with all my favourite American TV series being put on pause over November? Is this a Thanksgiving thing?

On a different note; what's with all my favourite American TV series being put on pause over November? Is this a Thanksgiving thing?

Most definitely. It's Thanksgiving week specials time, which really means rerunned movies and maybe some original content. I guess it's figured no one will be watching either way much...

Was that the episode with

Mulder and Scully basically running off together, and something to do with faith and a crucifix and "OMG maybe things will be okay" at the end?

All I remember is Mulder being on trial in what looked like a bunker, and it all being wholly unsatisfying.

I remember seeing a late episode in isolation, and being completely lost. I'd been an X-Files fanatic for the first handful of seasons, then dropped off, just to watch an episode where

CSM gets exploded by a missile

Actually, that seems to be the finale of the final season, so no wonder I was confused.

I remember seeing a late episode in isolation, and being completely lost. I'd been an X-Files fanatic for the first handful of seasons, then dropped off, just to watch an episode where

CSM gets exploded by a missile

Actually, that seems to be the finale of the final season, so no wonder I was confused.

I was in the same boat. I watched the show all the time through the first few seasons but basically stopped around when they left Vancouver (because Duchovny wanted to be closer to Tea Leoni or something) a bit before Mulder left the show entirely. I watched a couple episodes after that, but they were kinda bad, and I came back for the end only to be lost in the mythos. The whole Anasazi thing? No idea. It was weird.

Should have ended at five seasons. That seems to be the magic number.

All I remember is Mulder being on trial in what looked like a bunker, and it all being wholly unsatisfying.

Kinda like Seinfeld finale.

I am 80% sure that I think Jim Carrey's Christmas Carol won't be any good, most notably because it uses that horrible, horrible misuse of 3D CG that was used in The Polar Express and Beowulf, but then there's 20% of me that has seen some tv ads and thinks, hmmm, it might be worthwhile.

But, come on. After the Muppets Christmas Carol and Scrooged, can you really have a faithful, mom-and-pap, bread and butter Carol again? Won't that be horrible unnecessary?

Should have ended at five seasons. That seems to be the magic number.

But season six is my favourite!

But, come on. After the Muppets Christmas Carol and Scrooged, can you really have a faithful, mom-and-pap, bread and butter Carol again? Won't that be horrible unnecessary?

Actually I was thinking the opposite - it looks very cartoonified and jazzed up. I was wondering if anyone will ever again play A Christmas Carol completely straight, the Charles Dickens way, with Scrooge as a normal looking person instead of a grotesque.